PDA

View Full Version : Unix Technician Needed

AnalyticPursuit
04-10-2008, 02:50 AM
If you are a Unix technician with time to spare, please email Chris at: support@ronpaulchat.net We are looking for a revolutionary who can work on demand when needed (there will be no permanent schedule).

AnalyticPursuit
04-10-2008, 10:09 PM
We need just someone with enough IQ and enough experience to be able to configure/compile/install server applications on *nix systems from source, knocking out any configuration errors and peculiarities.

The IT department’s policy is to ALWAYS USE SOFTWARE COMPILED FROM SOURCE. No RPM, no binaries. This implies the ability to tweak pre-compile configs.

The first trial task for a potential applicant will be to install eAccelerator over PHP5 (all sources for both are already in the /usr/src/ folder of the server).

Subsequent tasks might include a security audit of the entire system – detecting potential vulnerabilities and knocking them out.

The next task will be to install TLS for postfix and secure POP3 for dovecot.

This job is not full time yet, so if there’s someone who can allocate a few hours to do a few useful things on our server – we’ll be glad to accept and reward any help.

dannno
04-10-2008, 10:31 PM
is it for www.ronpaulchat.net?

kpitcher
04-10-2008, 11:29 PM
A suggestion : If your issue is not being able to compile things from source because of 'dependency hell', use FreeBSD. With the port tree and being able to compile tens of thousands of packages directly from source with a simple command of 'make install' you wouldn't be experiencing these hassles.

gregb
04-10-2008, 11:35 PM
I have tons of experience with installing programs from source. I'll help where I can I guess.

runderwo
04-11-2008, 08:36 AM
A suggestion : If your issue is not being able to compile things from source because of 'dependency hell', use FreeBSD. With the port tree and being able to compile tens of thousands of packages directly from source with a simple command of 'make install' you wouldn't be experiencing these hassles.

Until you run across a package that isn't in ports, returning you to the same "dependency hell" :rolleyes:

GunnyFreedom
04-11-2008, 09:18 AM
Uh oh, distro wars come to RPF!

http://storage.msn.com/x1pbglk-vqL4BvefBDvBRHm15RsaTLuc9juUt7lkk_Mkwu3sxVhxKFlZ1j Pn4GDNQIJ9I03aZ1H4rKVFAyIjCHRtx9xZ1a8oKsyZGMYq1Knv LHOYYdi1YVhmwzOE1IHTnIbaybfkJrkaouRWCEn7E2aQVp3_ox hqPRk

http://i31.tinypic.com/2eqdjr7.jpg

http://www.mevis-research.de/~meyer/MISC/dilbert/ComputerHolyWars02.gif

http://www.userfriendly.org/cartoons/archives/99mar/uf000401.gif

slamhead
04-11-2008, 09:37 AM
Slackware!!!!

kpitcher
04-11-2008, 08:24 PM
Actually wasn't trying to do a distro wars, just trying to be helpful if someone's having a prob. Although I shouldn't be surprised that we'd have volunteers come up out of the grassroots to help regardless of what OS issue they're having.

I'm impressed, do you have those links saved or did you just remember them off the top of your head?

GunnyFreedom
04-11-2008, 08:45 PM
Actually wasn't trying to do a distro wars, just trying to be helpful if someone's having a prob. Although I shouldn't be surprised that we'd have volunteers come up out of the grassroots to help regardless of what OS issue they're having.

I'm impressed, do you have those links saved or did you just remember them off the top of your head?

Oh I was just joking. I happen to like BSD myself -- although I like NetBSD / Darwin / MacOS best.

As for the images, I just know where to look.

AlexGnatko
04-14-2008, 02:21 AM
This is for talksuites.com so far, but we also have other projects in mind.

We actually have no problem with the server - everything that I installed is working fine.

We just want to meet someone with enough technical background to be able to do this server administration / application installation job for us when we don't have enough time to do it by ourselves. There's a short to-do list of things for the server that should take no more than 1 day for a person who knows this stuff, a person with enough knowledge of how things work on a lunix/unix system.

Our OS is CentOS Linux. We have the Webmin free control panel. Apache/PHP/MySQL are compiled from source.

What we need right now is:
1) Install eAccelerator - piece of cake, I did that on the old server;
2) Update OpenSSL from latest source;
3) Make dovecot and postfix support SSL modes;
4) Make an audit of security/permissions.

Future tasks may be:
1) Re-compile PHP, Apache, MySQL if we need to do any optimizations;
2) Install and configure an efficient spam filter;
3) Periodic audit of security/permissions;
4) Be in touch in case of some emergency like server down, application restarts needed, etc.

Actually, a piece of cake job for a professional. If someone already manages a few unix/linux systems on a regular basis, he might just pay a few hours of his attention to making sure that our server is ok, make a few small fixes, and then just be in touch if we need to fix anything fast.

mdh
04-17-2008, 08:06 PM
http://www.mevis-research.de/~meyer/MISC/dilbert/ComputerHolyWars02.gif

Woah, dude, that guy must be modeled after me.

Slackware!!!!

Agreed.

This is for talksuites.com so far, but we also have other projects in mind.

We actually have no problem with the server - everything that I installed is working fine.

We just want to meet someone with enough technical background to be able to do this server administration / application installation job for us when we don't have enough time to do it by ourselves. There's a short to-do list of things for the server that should take no more than 1 day for a person who knows this stuff, a person with enough knowledge of how things work on a lunix/unix system.

Our OS is CentOS Linux. We have the Webmin free control panel. Apache/PHP/MySQL are compiled from source.

What we need right now is:
1) Install eAccelerator - piece of cake, I did that on the old server;
2) Update OpenSSL from latest source;
3) Make dovecot and postfix support SSL modes;
4) Make an audit of security/permissions.

Future tasks may be:
1) Re-compile PHP, Apache, MySQL if we need to do any optimizations;
2) Install and configure an efficient spam filter;
3) Periodic audit of security/permissions;
4) Be in touch in case of some emergency like server down, application restarts needed, etc.

Actually, a piece of cake job for a professional. If someone already manages a few unix/linux systems on a regular basis, he might just pay a few hours of his attention to making sure that our server is ok, make a few small fixes, and then just be in touch if we need to fix anything fast.

I can probably help you out. Other than eaccelerator, these are all things I know well (dovecot, postfix, openssl, apache httpd, php, et al). You've got my number, feel free to give me a call. :)