PDA

View Full Version : FEC complaint filed against Thompson

Bradley in DC
08-20-2007, 04:05 PM
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2007/08/20/fec-complaint-filed-against-thompson/#more-1504

A liberal blogger has filed a federal complaint against former Sen. Fred Thompson, the actor and unannounced Republican candidate for president, accusing him of violating election laws as he ponders his entry into the race.

The blogger, Lane Hudson, submitted his complaint to the Federal Election Commission on Monday saying Thompson has raised far more money than he needs to explore whether to run for president.

Federal law allows potential candidates to raise money to travel, conduct polls and pay for other expenses related to "testing the waters" for a political campaign. During that exploratory period, a potential candidate does not have to file financial reports with the FEC.

The law prohibits anyone who is "testing the waters" from hoarding the money for use during his actual campaign. Potential candidates also cannot refer to themselves as candidates, can't run ads that publicize their intention to campaign or take steps to qualify for the ballot in a primary or caucus state.

According to a financial report filed late last month, Thompson had raised nearly $3.5 million and had had spent $625,000. Thompson must raise money within federal contribution limits and must report it to the FEC once he becomes an official candidate. . .

Brasil Branco
08-20-2007, 04:13 PM
I'm still cluless about this, is it certain that Fred Thompson wants to run for president?

Syren123
08-20-2007, 04:14 PM
Wow! And I bet he thought he was exempt from these types of pesky regulations!

Spirit of '76
08-20-2007, 04:25 PM
This could get interesting. :)

UtahApocalypse
08-21-2007, 07:41 PM
Interesting.....

http://thinkprogress.org/2007/08/20/blogger-launches-fec-complaint-against-thompson/

Progressive blogger Lane Hudson filed a complaint against Fred Thompson (R-TN) on Monday, accusing the former Senator of violating the Federal Election Commission’s (FEC) “testing the waters” clause. The complaint argues that Thompson is running a full-blown campaign and should be held to the same regulations as the other candidates. ABC’s Jake Tapper writes, “The rule is pretty simple. If you spend more than $5,000 on campaign activities, you’re a candidate, whether or not you’ve officially declared. The question is what constitutes ‘testing the waters’ activity, and what constitutes ‘candidate’ activity.” Within five days of receiving the complaint, the FEC must notify the Thompson exploratory committee and provide it with a copy of the complaint. You can contact the FEC at (800) 424-9530.

torchbearer
08-21-2007, 08:50 PM
Maybe it will at least force him to file financially.

Shink
08-21-2007, 08:56 PM
I hope the court costs dissuade him from running.

0zzy
08-21-2007, 08:57 PM

Ya :). Too many Thompson supporters out there.

inibo
08-21-2007, 09:29 PM
Ya :). Too many Thompson supporters out there.

I'm trying to do as much bud nipping as I can: http://reality-hammer.livejournal.com/695770.html?thread=5598938#t5598938

ConstitutionGal
08-22-2007, 02:20 AM

Rumor here in Tennessee is saying that Thompson will officially announce at the Ryman Auditorium (old Grand Old Opry house downtown) on Sept. 5. I am currently trying to get confirmation on this from the state Republican party. Once I do get a confirmation, our meetup group is planning to be outside waving signs with slogan like "If you like illegal immigration, you'll LOVE Fred Thompson", "if you want a north American Union, you'll LOVE Fred Thomspon", etc. Instead of going as Ron Paul supporters, we'll be going in SMALL groups of anti-FredHeads. This way only Thompson can POSSIBLY get any bad publicity out of our efforts!! tee hee...:p

0zzy
08-22-2007, 02:21 AM
Rumor here in Tennessee is saying that Thompson will officially announce at the Ryman Auditorium (old Grand Old Opry house downtown) on Sept. 5. I am currently trying to get confirmation on this from the state Republican party. Once I do get a confirmation, our meetup group is planning to be outside waving signs with slogan like "If you like illegal immigration, you'll LOVE Fred Thompson", "if you want a north American Union, you'll LOVE Fred Thomspon", etc. Instead of going as Ron Paul supporters, we'll be going in SMALL groups of anti-FredHeads. This way only Thompson can POSSIBLY get any bad publicity out of our efforts!! tee hee...:p

True dat, good job :).

Wendi
08-22-2007, 07:01 AM
I'm sure that he intends to run, that is why he is collecting all of the money now while pretending to be undecided. Great tactic - too bad for him, it's illegal.