PDA

View Full Version : 413-1: Ron Paul lone dissenter again

zzzz8
04-09-2008, 06:42 PM
It just makes me especially proud to be a Ron Paul supporter.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/04/09/house.olympics/index.html

Don't our congressmen have better things to do than to meddle in the affairs of other countries? Shouldn't our government set a good example for others?

Maybe the Chinese government should pass a resolution denouncing the Patriot Act, supporting the Lakotah Indians, denouncing the human rights abuses at Guantanamo, noting the thousands of Iraqis killed, the millions killed by our government's foreign intervention, etc... :mad:

I'm not condoning the Chinese government actions, but this is just absolutely ridiculous... Thank you Dr. Paul for being the lone voice of reason.

Kludge
04-09-2008, 06:43 PM
"The vote was 413-1. Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas, who recently dropped out of the presidential race, was the lone congressman voting against it."

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGHHHHH!!!!!

LibertiORDeth
04-09-2008, 06:44 PM
"The vote was 413-1. Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas, who recently dropped out of the presidential race, was the lone congressman voting against it."

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGHHHHH!!!!!

Time for an email bomb?

humanic
04-09-2008, 06:45 PM
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The U.S. House of Representatives overwhelmingly passed a resolution Wednesday calling on China to end its crackdown on Tibet and release Tibetans imprisoned for "nonviolent" demonstrations.

The vote was 413-1. Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas, who recently dropped out of the presidential race, was the lone congressman voting against it.

:mad:

Sandra
04-09-2008, 06:46 PM
It's time for a CNN blog bomb. But this time, what news titles can we use about CNN that will go up high on the search or news aggregators?

zzzz8
04-09-2008, 06:47 PM
Hmm, I didn't notice that. :) Yep, an email bomb is in order.

Sandra
04-09-2008, 06:48 PM
Nolan Chart
Lew Rockwell
USA Daily
Raw Story

Just make sure that CNN is in the title as well as negativity on the story.

AJ Antimony
04-09-2008, 06:49 PM
Time for an email bomb?

Hell yes, someone find the emails of those assholes who 'contributed.' Maybe it's b/c I'm already in a poor mood, but that really pissed me off.

satchelmcqueen
04-09-2008, 06:50 PM
They do this kind of crap reporting way to often now. RON PAUL DIDNT DROP OUT!

ForLiberty-RonPaul
04-09-2008, 06:52 PM
yeah, but we know who is gaining a crap load of delegates, and his name doesn't rhyme with John McClane. yippy ki yea motha @$^@ers!

WarningSLO
04-09-2008, 06:53 PM
I had to stop watching the cspan feed of the house discussing this resolution. They spent the entire hour I watched patting each other on the back for supporting this resolution that has no authority whatsoever. What a colossal waste of time.

familydog
04-09-2008, 06:53 PM
Kucinich voted for this?

satchelmcqueen
04-09-2008, 06:55 PM
Well heres what I sent them. Whos in???

"Who keeps wrongly reporting that Ron Paul dropped out of the race? This isnt the first time your website has done this. Ron Paul has not dropped out and I hope to God you get sued for libel. I just may get a group up and do it myself. This is just an outrage. Make the correction in a place where people can find it please."

Sandra
04-09-2008, 07:02 PM
Well heres what I sent them. Whos in???

"Who keeps wrongly reporting that Ron Paul dropped out of the race? This isnt the first time your website has done this. Ron Paul has not dropped out and I hope to God you get sued for libel. I just may get a group up and do it myself. This is just an outrage. Make the correction in a place where people can find it please."

Report this stuff to alternative news websites, if loads of reports complain they will look into it and write about it. Those other sites that would love to choke CNN will echo the story. CNN has to hurt for this, in a good way.

BTW, don't worry about sending any complaints to CNN. Let them find out about the same way they scrape for news content.

Sandra
04-09-2008, 07:22 PM
Bump!

slacker921
04-09-2008, 07:26 PM
You're surprised? They can't report accurately on anything else so why should they start now?

slacker921
04-09-2008, 07:51 PM
Here's a blog post on it (http://mediacrusher.blogspot.com/2008/04/cnn-cant-keep-presidential-candidates.html)
a good article on this issue (http://www.libertymaven.com/2008/04/09/ron-paul-alone-again-but-right-as-usual/1018/)..

(I'm trying to link to these to give them some search index boost..)

Sandra
04-09-2008, 07:53 PM
Contact Raw Story!

www.rawstory.com

Paul Revered
04-09-2008, 07:54 PM
What's this?!?

When did he drop out of the presidential race?

Paul Revered
04-09-2008, 07:57 PM
What's this?!?

When did he drop out of the presidential race?Never mind. I'm glad that I wasn't the only one who caught this.

rockandrollsouls
04-09-2008, 07:58 PM
why do they post blatant misinformation! I'd have voted against it, too. No business in other nations affairs.

Sandra
04-09-2008, 08:12 PM
If you Google "CNN" in news mode right now, it's mostly reports of the networks errors and misinformation.

devil21
04-09-2008, 08:13 PM
Pretty sad when the top, most viewed CNN story is:

"American Idol finalist once had record deal"

Highland
04-09-2008, 08:15 PM
bump

Mr. White
04-09-2008, 09:32 PM
The resolution has no force of law and is essentially a statement of this nation's opinion. I'm totally cool with that. It's communication, it doesn't meddle, it doesn't impose, it simple talks.

voytechs
04-09-2008, 09:40 PM
Fuel for the revolution. Thats our man!!

zzzz8
04-09-2008, 10:04 PM
The resolution has no force of law and is essentially a statement of this nation's opinion. I'm totally cool with that. It's communication, it doesn't meddle, it doesn't impose, it simple talks.

Please tell me how this resolution doesn't meddle in the affairs of China and Tibet:

Calling on the Government of the People's Republic of China to end its crackdown in Tibet and enter into a substantive dialogue with His Holiness the Dalai Lama to find a negotiated... (Introduced in House)

HRES 1077 IH

110th CONGRESS

2d Session

H. RES. 1077

Calling on the Government of the People's Republic of China to end its crackdown in Tibet and enter into a substantive dialogue with His Holiness the Dalai Lama to find a negotiated solution that respects the distinctive language, culture, religious identity, and fundamental freedoms of all Tibetans, and for other purposes.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

April 3, 2008

Ms. PELOSI (for herself, Mr. SENSENBRENNER, Mr. MARKEY, Mr. GEORGE MILLER of California, Mr. MCDERMOTT, Ms. ESHOO, Mr. INSLEE, Ms. SOLIS, Ms. NORTON, and Mr. HOLT) submitted the following resolution; which was referred to the Committee on Foreign Affairs

RESOLUTION

Calling on the Government of the People's Republic of China to end its crackdown in Tibet and enter into a substantive dialogue with His Holiness the Dalai Lama to find a negotiated solution that respects the distinctive language, culture, religious identity, and fundamental freedoms of all Tibetans, and for other purposes.

Whereas March 10, 2008, marked the 49th anniversary of a historic uprising against Chinese rule over the Tibetan people, which forced His Holiness, the 14th Dalai Lama, to escape into exile in India;

Whereas Tibetan Buddhist monks and nuns in and around Lhasa were blocked by Chinese authorities from staging peaceful demonstrations on this anniversary date and were met with excessive force by the Chinese authorities;

Whereas protests by Tibetans spread inside the Tibet Autonomous Region and other Tibetan areas of China;

Whereas the accumulated grievances of almost six decades of cultural, religious, economic, and linguistic repression of the Tibetan people by the Government of the People's Republic of China has resulted in resentments which are at the root of the Tibetan protests;

Whereas resentment of the Chinese Government by the Tibetan people has increased sharply since 2005 as a result of Chinese policies, laws, and regulations that have reduced economic opportunity for Tibetans and severely eroded the ability of Tibetans to preserve their distinctive language, culture, and religious identity;

Whereas the response by the Chinese Government to the Tibetan protests was disproportionate and extreme, reportedly resulting in the deaths of hundreds and the detention of thousands of Tibetans;

Whereas there have been reports that some Tibetans engaged in rioting that may have resulted in the destruction of government and private property, as well as the deaths of civilians;

Whereas His Holiness the Dalai Lama has used his leadership to promote democracy, freedom, and peace for the Tibetan people through a negotiated settlement of the Tibet issue, based on autonomy within the context of China;

Whereas six rounds of dialogue between representatives of the Dalai Lama and Chinese officials have not resulted in meaningful progress;

Whereas the Chinese Government has rebuffed calls by the President of the United States, the United States Congress, and world leaders to respond positively to the Dalai Lama's willingness to be personally involved in discussions with Chinese leaders on the future of Tibet;

Whereas the Chinese Government has denigrated the Dalai Lama, labeling him as `a splittist' and `a wolf in monk's robes', thereby further alienating Tibetans who consider the Dalai Lama their spiritual leader;

Whereas the Dalai Lama was recognized for his contribution to world peace when he received the Nobel Peace Prize in 1989;

Whereas the United States Congress, in recognition of the Dalai Lama's outstanding moral and religious leadership and his advocacy of nonviolence, awarded him with the Congressional Gold Medal on October 17, 2007;

Whereas the Chinese Government has failed to honor its commitment to improve the human rights situation in China as a condition for Beijing being selected as the site for the 2008 Summer Olympic Games;

Whereas the Chinese Government has impeded the access of international journalists to Tibetan areas of China and distorted reports of events surrounding the Tibetan protests, thereby violating the commitment it made that `there will be no restrictions on media reporting and movement of journalists up to and including the Olympic Games';

Whereas for many years, the Chinese Government has restricted the ability of foreign journalists and foreign government officials, including United States Government officials, to freely travel in Tibetan areas of China, thereby curtailing access to information on the situation in Tibetan areas;

Whereas the Chinese Government's use of propaganda during the protests to demonize Tibetans and incite ethnic nationalism is exacerbating ethnic tensions and is counterproductive to resolving the situation;

Whereas the United States Department of State included the People's Republic of China among the group of countries described as `the most systematic violators of human rights' in the introduction of the 2006 Country Reports on Human Rights Practices and in previous Human Rights Reports, but did not do so in the 2007 Human Rights Report, despite no evidence of significant improvements in the human rights situation in China in the past year; and

Whereas it is the policy of the United States `to support the aspirations of the Tibetan people to safeguard their distinct identity' and `to support economic development, cultural preservation, health care, and education and environmental sustainability for Tibetans inside Tibet', in accordance with the Tibetan Policy Act of 2002 (22 U.S.C. 6901 note): Now, therefore, be it

Resolved, That the United States House of Representatives--

(1) calls on the Government of the People's Republic of China to end its crackdown on nonviolent Tibetan protestors and its continuing cultural, religious, economic, and linguistic repression inside Tibet;

(2) calls on the Chinese Government to begin a results-based dialogue, without preconditions, directly with His Holiness the Dalai Lama to address the legitimate grievances of the Tibetan people and provide for a long-term solution that respects the human rights and dignity of every Tibetan;

(3) calls on the Chinese Government to allow independent international monitors and journalists, free and unfettered access to the Tibet Autonomous Region and all other Tibetan areas of China for the purpose of monitoring and documenting events surrounding the Tibetan protests and to verify that individuals injured receive adequate medical care;

(4) calls on the Chinese Government to immediately release all Tibetans who are imprisoned for nonviolently expressing opposition to Chinese Government policies in Tibet;

(5) calls on the United States Department of State to publicly issue a statement reconsidering its decision not to include the People's Republic of China among the group of countries described as `the world's most systematic human rights violators' in the introduction of the 2007 Country Reports on Human Rights Practices; and

(6) calls on the United States Department of State to fully implement the Tibetan Policy Act of 2002 (22 U.S.C. 6901 note), including the stipulation that the Secretary of State `seek to establish an office in Lhasa, Tibet to monitor political, economic and cultural developments in Tibet', and also to provide consular protection and citizen services in emergencies, and further urges that the agreement to permit China to open further diplomatic missions in the United States should be contingent upon the establishment of a United States Government office in Lhasa.

Randy-
04-09-2008, 10:10 PM
The vote was 413-1. Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas, who recently dropped out of the presidential race, was the lone congressman voting against it.

Go here and tell CNN to fix their wrong information. (http://tinyurl.com/4xb6fs)
hxxp://www.cnn.com/feedback/forms/form6.html

Mr. White
04-09-2008, 10:11 PM
Would you have a member of Congress or the President unilaterally issuing statements on behalf of the United States, or would you prefer a majority consensus statement approved by almost all of the House?. This meddles in the affairs of China no more than my post meddles in the affairs of your life. What's more it appears the vast majority of our elected House members approve of it.

Do I approve of it? No, Do I approve of this manner of delivery over legislation for action in the form of sanctions, military action etc.? HELL YES. This is the talking with other nations that Ron Paul was advocating.

zzzz8
04-09-2008, 10:23 PM
I'd rather have neither - I don't want anyone in our government, whether in majority or alone, issuing proclamations criticizing other nations.

A vast majority of our House members approve of it just like a vast majority of our House members approve of the income tax...

I think you're only offering two choices - the lesser of two evils. I believe there is a third choice. It's called the RP rEVOLution. :)

zzzz8
04-09-2008, 10:25 PM
Oh, one other thing. I don't think this is what Ron was advocating. This is NOT a satisfactory way of communicating with other countries. He talked about setting a good example, talking with people, trading freely with other nations, etc. I don't ever recall him advocating the issuance of proclamations to meddle in the affairs of other countries. Otherwise, he wouldn't have voted no for the resolution.

smartguy911
04-09-2008, 10:28 PM
All story pitches from affiliates are directed here:
cnnfutures@cnn.com

PHONE NUMBERS:

CNN NewsDesk:
404-827-2759

CNN News Desk FAX:
404-827-3368

devil21
04-10-2008, 04:17 AM
Didn't the Congress issue a proclamation criticizing Turkey for something that happened 80 years ago, which was followed within days by Turkey invading northern Iraq? Seems to me we should stop issuing proclamations of criticism.

Cinderella
04-10-2008, 06:46 AM
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The U.S. House of Representatives overwhelmingly passed a resolution Wednesday calling on China to end its crackdown on Tibet and release Tibetans imprisoned for "nonviolent" demonstrations.

they almost make it sound like the rest who voted for it want peace around the world etc and Dr. Paul doesnt care because he voted against it.........how about we worry about what goes on in our house before we go butting into everyone elses buisness......this government/country makes me so damn sick

Andrew-Austin
04-10-2008, 06:54 AM
China's response: F**king hypocrite imperialists need to mind their own business and tend to their own civil rights blunders in Iraq

Mr. White
04-10-2008, 07:57 AM
Your mindless Revolution rehtoric aside, this is EXACTLY what Paul was advocating. It's talk, nothing more.

Peace&Freedom
04-10-2008, 08:10 AM
Go here and tell CNN to fix their wrong information. (http://tinyurl.com/4xb6fs)
hxxp://www.cnn.com/feedback/forms/form6.html

Yeah, and don't forget to remind CNN of their own doggone interview with Paul a month ago, where Paul expressly corrected them about the status of his candidacy!

Melissa
04-10-2008, 08:33 AM
wrote them

Cogz
04-10-2008, 08:43 AM
Your mindless Revolution rehtoric aside, this is EXACTLY what Paul was advocating. It's talk, nothing more.

I disagree - if its talk, why did Ron Paul issue a statement about the resolution regarding Turkey after one was issued similar to this?

This while it has no physical effect is a very public slap in the face to China. When you talk to a friend about something they did wrong, you talk to them in private and try and convince them the error of their ways. Calling them out in public rarely works - it usually makes them defensive and less willing to listen.

GunnyFreedom
04-10-2008, 08:50 AM
Well, one good way to help prove that Dr Paul is still in the race, would be to help fund projects on the ground that work towards getting people to vote for Ron Paul -- such as the Ron Paul Newspaper NC -- found at the top of the RPF main page, or here:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=129619

We are at $1076 of the required $2,800 needed to bring 50,000 Ron Paul Newspapers into North Carolina. Not only will this seriously help what we are doing right now, the platform exposure will help the Ron Paul Congress and liberty projects for years to come.

wgadget
04-10-2008, 08:56 AM
Wow, are they gonna be surprised when we raise a ruckus at the national convention...

GunnyFreedom
04-10-2008, 09:14 AM
Which is why we need help in the states where the primaries are still to come -- if we can pull a big RP vote out of here, then we can send truckloads more delegates to the natn'l convention!

Many of us in the late states went to the early states and the Super Tuesday states to help out. Now there is a real need in the late states for canvassers to help increase the RP vote and thus send more delegates to the Natn'l convention.

Paulitical Correctness
04-10-2008, 10:35 AM
Good job guys, LOL.

"The vote was 413-1. Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas, who has not dropped out of the presidential race, was the lone congressman voting against it."

Kilrain
04-10-2008, 10:57 AM
Good job guys, LOL.

"The vote was 413-1. Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas, who has not dropped out of the presidential race, was the lone congressman voting against it."

I wonder just how many e-mails they got. :D Nice!

EvansHall
04-10-2008, 11:26 AM
Didn't the Congress issue a proclamation criticizing Turkey for something that happened 80 years ago, which was followed within days by Turkey invading northern Iraq? Seems to me we should stop issuing proclamations of criticism.

Yup, my useless congressman (D - Schiff CA-29) sponsored that useless bill. Glendale (huge Armenian community) is in his district. It doesn't take a genius to see where his priorities are.

zzzz8
04-10-2008, 11:43 AM

Geez, why the hostility? Mindless? :confused:

I'm not sure how this would qualify as "just talk." The resolution states:

(1) calls on the Government of the People's Republic of China to end its crackdown on nonviolent Tibetan protestors and its continuing cultural, religious, economic, and linguistic repression inside Tibet;

(2) calls on the Chinese Government to begin a results-based dialogue, without preconditions, directly with His Holiness the Dalai Lama to address the legitimate grievances of the Tibetan people and provide for a long-term solution that respects the human rights and dignity of every Tibetan;

(3) calls on the Chinese Government to allow independent international monitors and journalists, free and unfettered access to the Tibet Autonomous Region and all other Tibetan areas of China for the purpose of monitoring and documenting events surrounding the Tibetan protests and to verify that individuals injured receive adequate medical care;

(4) calls on the Chinese Government to immediately release all Tibetans who are imprisoned for nonviolently expressing opposition to Chinese Government policies in Tibet;

(5) calls on the United States Department of State to publicly issue a statement reconsidering its decision not to include the People's Republic of China among the group of countries described as `the world's most systematic human rights violators' in the introduction of the 2007 Country Reports on Human Rights Practices; and

(6) calls on the United States Department of State to fully implement the Tibetan Policy Act of 2002 (22 U.S.C. 6901 note), including the stipulation that the Secretary of State `seek to establish an office in Lhasa, Tibet to monitor political, economic and cultural developments in Tibet', and also to provide consular protection and citizen services in emergencies, and further urges that the agreement to permit China to open further diplomatic missions in the United States should be contingent upon the establishment of a United States Government office in Lhasa.

So our House of Representatives is telling the Chinese government what it should do. We're doing a similar kind of "talk" and saber rattling - actually, probably much worse - with Iran and North Korea. Would you consider that "just talk?" Our government should not be telling other governments what to do if our country is not threatened in any way. Again, if this is what Ron wanted to do, he would have voted for the resolution.

frasu
04-10-2008, 11:43 AM
awesome job guys, not the article is right!!! :)

The vote was 413-1. Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas, who has not dropped out of the presidential race, was the lone congressman voting against it.

I had to add the quote jus because it sound very good :)

jonsmallberries
04-10-2008, 12:17 PM
Would you have a member of Congress or the President unilaterally issuing statements on behalf of the United States, or would you prefer a majority consensus statement approved by almost all of the House?. This meddles in the affairs of China no more than my post meddles in the affairs of your life. What's more it appears the vast majority of our elected House members approve of it.

Do I approve of it? No, Do I approve of this manner of delivery over legislation for action in the form of sanctions, military action etc.? HELL YES. This is the talking with other nations that Ron Paul was advocating.

You should read Ron Paul's speech when he also was the lone vote against condemning Palestinian rocket attacks into Israel. He voted against this on similar principles I suspect. These blow-hard resolutions waste time, money, and increase tensions. It won't help the Tibetans out in any way, and China will be less likely to discuss this with us on a more diplomatic level. It's just a show. Given Congress's horrible approval rating, I'm pretty much assuming anything that goes against the tide is a good thing at this point.

jonsmallberries
04-10-2008, 12:26 PM

It smacks of cowardice. Retreat to your treehouse, raise the ladder, and heckle the people on the ground. It does NOT help anything. This is a diplomatic issue. It will NOT help Tibetans. It WILL worsen our relations with China. I bet you Paul is cheering for the protesters, but this is not what the legislature should be doing. It is absolutely meddling in the affairs of another country, via rhetoric and antagonization.

mello
04-10-2008, 12:31 PM
CNN corrected the story.
Now it says:

"The vote was 413-1. Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas, who
has not dropped out of the presidential race,
was the lone congressman voting against it."

I wonder how many minutes it took to bury CNN's
email server?

belian78
04-10-2008, 12:50 PM

and this is the same type of resolutions passed in the house leading up to the first gulf wars, and the balkans, and other places as well. so they are not entirely innocent 'opinions' when they are used in later years as justifications for military actions.

mtmedlin
04-10-2008, 12:58 PM
I sent mine in. things like this make me so impressed with Dr. Paul. Principles, hard to find these days.

constitutional
04-10-2008, 01:01 PM
They fixed the error on their web site.

pacelli
04-10-2008, 01:35 PM
They fixed the error on their web site.

Seems like the emails were effective:

The vote was 413-1. Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas, who has not dropped out of the presidential race, was the lone congressman voting against it.

familydog
04-10-2008, 03:38 PM
Cool. Good job everyone.

Rangeley
04-10-2008, 03:41 PM
Glad to see they fixed it, even if their correction is slightly humorous in nature.

IDefendThePlatform
04-10-2008, 05:25 PM
Good work on the correction everybody. One more small step toward holding the media responsible for their reporting.

Karakia
04-10-2008, 06:52 PM
(6) calls on the United States Department of State to fully implement the Tibetan Policy Act of 2002 (22 U.S.C. 6901 note), including the stipulation that the Secretary of State `seek to establish an office in Lhasa, Tibet to monitor political, economic and cultural developments in Tibet', and also to provide consular protection and citizen services in emergencies, and further urges that the agreement to permit China to open further diplomatic missions in the United States should be contingent upon the establishment of a United States Government office in Lhasa....

O.o ??? Is this just a consulate?

zzzz8
04-10-2008, 06:59 PM
O.o ??? Is this just a consulate?

No, probably just another CIA station. :D

nodope0695
04-10-2008, 08:11 PM
Agreed. RP did the right thing, in keeping with his noninterventionalist stance on foriegn policy.

Check out this story, and especially note the dorky headline...if the author knew anything about RP, he'd not have used such inflamatory language:

http://studentpa.info/spip.php?article653

RP is NOT against human rights. He IS against the congress meddling in the policies of other nations. As his spokesman stated, "It is not congress's place."

quezkittel
04-11-2008, 07:01 AM
I hope Dr. Paul releases a statement on why he voted against this soon. I honestly don't see why it's that terrible, other than that it is political grandstanding, and that is probably why Dr. Paul voted against it.

Personally, I will always support an abused tortured minority that joined a communist state against their will in the mid last century, and accordingly I will boycott of Chinese products :) (This one's gonna be hard to do and probably worthless, but at least I don't go against my principles!)

akforme
04-11-2008, 08:24 AM
Here's the way it was originally written, and thanks to RP supporters it got changed.

http://digg.com/politics/Ron_Paul_Refuses_To_Condemn_China_Over_Tibet

BeallCanbe
04-11-2008, 08:45 AM
I applaud Dr. Paul's vote on this issue. The US should lead by example, not by intervention.

RothbardianBoy
04-11-2008, 11:25 AM
Congressman Paul’s Communications Director responds:

"Congressman Paul voted against it for the same reasons he has voted against recent measures on Burma and Turkey. In keeping with his non-interventionist foreign policy positions, he feels it is not the place of the US Congress to be making statements such as these about other countries. The US Congress is charged with looking after the freedom of its own people. This is not to say he has no sympathy for the plight of Tibetans, or that private US citizens shouldn’t express their views on the matter. He feels it is just not the role of Congress or the government to do so."

Ronpaublican citizens against China.. Private citizens, not Government. Thats jeffersonism. Thats libertarianism

Greetings of a Spaniard

quezkittel
04-11-2008, 12:18 PM
Thank you for posting that. I'm glad he got a message out there saying that he is not unsympathetic towards Tibet. I fear most in this forum look upon that vote as a good thing and I think it is too, but it does make him appear to be more "extreme" and even "heartless" to most people. I hope more people who dislike China's actions in Tibet will figure out how to act without using the u.s. government as liason.
It does seem incredibly laughable that the government is trying to boss around its lender.

Congressman Paul’s Communications Director responds:

"Congressman Paul voted against it for the same reasons he has voted against recent measures on Burma and Turkey. In keeping with his non-interventionist foreign policy positions, he feels it is not the place of the US Congress to be making statements such as these about other countries. The US Congress is charged with looking after the freedom of its own people. This is not to say he has no sympathy for the plight of Tibetans, or that private US citizens shouldn’t express their views on the matter. He feels it is just not the role of Congress or the government to do so."

Ronpaublican citizens against China.. Private citizens, not Government. Thats jeffersonism. Thats libertarianism

Greetings of a Spaniard

Aratus
04-12-2008, 08:11 AM
there is this interview. Ann Curry and the Dalai Lama
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24073087/ its ongoing.
he talks about his hopes for the future. he's trying to
tell the activists to "cool it" because things are tense!!!
ron paul's lonesome vote in this context has him being more
level headed than the 'grasshopper" antics of richard gere.
the Dalai Lama is trying to seek out a non-violent path!!!

RCA
04-12-2008, 09:49 AM
They fixed it.

Theocrat
04-12-2008, 04:16 PM
It just makes me especially proud to be a Ron Paul supporter.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/04/09/house.olympics/index.html

Don't our congressmen have better things to do than to meddle in the affairs of other countries? Shouldn't our government set a good example for others?

Maybe the Chinese government should pass a resolution denouncing the Patriot Act, supporting the Lakotah Indians, denouncing the human rights abuses at Guantanamo, noting the thousands of Iraqis killed, the millions killed by our government's foreign intervention, etc... :mad:

I'm not condoning the Chinese government actions, but this is just absolutely ridiculous... Thank you Dr. Paul for being the lone voice of reason.

Thanks for sharing this, zzzz8. I don't know what's more disturbing: the fact that 413 members of our Congress voted for another unconstitutional resolution, or the comments written on the Digg website in opposition to Congressman Paul's bold and wise "Nay" vote. Our nation is under judgment for sure, in my opinion, for its ignorance and arrogance. May God save these United States from themselves.

SeanEdwards
04-12-2008, 04:43 PM
The federal U.S. government has succeeded in screwing up practically every attempt at foreign policy. I just want them to stop. I don't want the country to have a foreign policy anymore. What foreign policy does Switzerland have? That's what our government should be doing.

In fact, at this point I would definetly vote to have our entire federal government outsourced to Switzerland. Let the USA become just another canton in the Swiss confederation, and let them dictate our foreign policy out of Bern.

And then raze Washington DC to the ground, and send all the politicians (save one) home on a rail, covered with tar and feathers.

FreeTraveler
04-12-2008, 05:07 PM
In fact, at this point I would definetly vote to have our entire federal government outsourced to Switzerland. Let the USA become just another canton in the Swiss confederation, and let them dictate our foreign policy out of Bern.

And then raze Washington DC to the ground, and send all the politicians (save one) home on a rail, covered with tar and feathers.

Undoubtedly the BEST idea I've ever seen you post. Wouldn't you LOVE to see the looks on their faces at the joint session when told THEIR jobs have been outsourced??? :D

One caveat; the Swiss government is bound by OUR Constitution, not theirs.

SeanEdwards
04-12-2008, 05:27 PM
One caveat; the Swiss government is bound by OUR Constitution, not theirs.

I'm not sure about that. At least the Swiss seem to respect their Constitution. Ours just gets laughed at and ignored.

The_Ruffneck
04-13-2008, 05:02 AM
haha yeah , cos pissing the chinese off is a REAL good idea LOLLERS!