PDA

View Full Version : Researching Algae BioFuel - Nice Find

JaylieWoW
04-09-2008, 04:32 PM
I've been working on an article for my company's quarterly newsletter. I wanted to start a small section in the newsletter called "Environmental Innovation" where I would research new findings on things with an environmental impact.

For this issue, I thought about starting off with a quick overview of solar energy but during my research I stumbled across algae biofuel & biomass alternatives.

I ran across an amazing statement by a Dr. Berzin at MIT who came to America from Isreal with 2 goals in mind: post doc chemistry degree & saving the planet.

You can read the full article here (http://www.loe.org/shows/segments.htm?programID=06-P13-00047&segmentID=4).

Though I was reading this as research for my algae article, I nearly jumped out of my chair cheering when I read the following passage:

BERZIN: We believe that if you want to make an environmental revolution it should not come as the law. Okay? It should come as a great business. And if it's a great business, it has life of its own. So, you don't come to the power industry and tell them, 'you guys are the worst polluters and I have to shut you down. I have to fine you for every...like a carbon tax, whatever.' I think that's the wrong approach. I think the right approach would be, 'guys, you're throwing all this CO2 away? Are you crazy? Let's make more money.' And that's how the world will change. That's how it will become a reality.

WOW! Maybe there is a small bit of hope in the world after all?

ronpaulhawaii
04-09-2008, 05:04 PM
A couple of our guys I worked with in LA and NH actually are building a bio-fuel company. They already have a refinery in MD that uses waste from chicken farms, and one in LA that uses old rice paddys to grow algae as stock.

Nice that the Dr. you cite acknowledges the benefits of free market solutions

thuja
04-09-2008, 05:30 PM
i'm for this, providing there isn't some more genetic alteration that could cause persistant problems like GE corn and other GE crops including trees.
algae is certainly popular, with so many supposed health uses for it as well.

TastyWheat
07-23-2008, 04:00 PM
I think Valcent is approaching it the right way. They use a more predictable closed-loop system instead of open-pond.

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
07-24-2008, 10:43 AM
I've been working on an article for my company's quarterly newsletter. I wanted to start a small section in the newsletter called "Environmental Innovation" where I would research new findings on things with an environmental impact.

For this issue, I thought about starting off with a quick overview of solar energy but during my research I stumbled across algae biofuel & biomass alternatives.

I ran across an amazing statement by a Dr. Berzin at MIT who came to America from Isreal with 2 goals in mind: post doc chemistry degree & saving the planet.

You can read the full article here (http://www.loe.org/shows/segments.htm?programID=06-P13-00047&segmentID=4).

Though I was reading this as research for my algae article, I nearly jumped out of my chair cheering when I read the following passage:

Wow! Maybe there is a small bit of hope in the world after all?

Another foreigner with a dual citizenship saves the day for 300 million dumbass Americans.

constituent
07-24-2008, 10:45 AM
have you seen this (http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2219188/silicon-valley-funds-oil).