PDA

View Full Version : GOP not uniting behind McCain

slacker921
04-09-2008, 09:20 AM
Article bringing together a lot of quotes and bits around the lack of support for McCain including the efforts (and results) by a lot of Ron Paul supporters..

http://tinyurl.com/6xuj27

McCain is also being challenged by a newly resurgent Libertarian movement. Largely unnoticed, Ron Paul die-hards in recent weeks all but took over Republican state conventions in Washington state and Minnesota, electing many of their people as delegates, guaranteeing a noisy Libertarian presence at the Republican national convention.

More threatening to McCain is the apparent decision of former Congressman Bob Barr of Georgia, a highly credible right wing spokesman, to run for president as the Libertarian Party candidate. Ron Paul won from 5 to 10 percent of the vote in many GOP primaries. A Barr candidacy, based on the same message and driven by many of those energized by Paul, could do serious damage to McCain.

Now.. if you really want to show that the GOP doesn't have the support of all the Republican base then drop a few bucks on the newspaper or TV ads for NC and other remaining states. We need Paul above 5% in NC but it isn't likely to happen. The Meetups I'm a member of have all but disbanded. I see Obama and Clinton bumper stickers and signs but nothing for Ron Paul. There are no Ron Paul ads running here. What is likely to happen is McCain will get 75% of the vote or more in NC and Paul supporters here will have NO ground to stand on at the state convention. All 69 delegates from NC will most likely go to McCain.

You don't like the harsh reality I'm putting in front of you? Then do something about it. If you're in Paul campaign HQ then start working on getting something happening in NC while there is still some time. If you're in grassroots then put your money where your mouth is: fund TV Ads (http://alcpac.chipin.com/the-high-tide-airtime2) or the NC Newspaper ("http://widget.chipin.com/widget/id/ba2e14036bf999bf)

ronpaulhawaii
04-09-2008, 09:40 AM
Interesting article.

Donations certainly will help

seapilot
04-09-2008, 11:40 PM
Thats too bad that the meetups in NC disbanded. Can understand why, but there is still the oppertunity to organize a group to go to the state convention where platform changes can be made and discussed. Also it can be a future contact list for people to write thier congressman on issues that can have results.

sidster
04-10-2008, 12:16 AM
Speaking of stickers for candidates... I'm living in So Cal. (a predominantly Dem state).
I have a RP window sign, my car's rear window says "Ron Paul * 2008 * President". I
drive around and I get people honking and giving me thumbs up everywhere (on the fwy,
on the streets driving to lunch, etc.) Near work that I sometimes go take walk around
the neighborhood, I see a bunch of houses with Ron Paul banners (I mean serious large
banners), lawn signs, one house has about 6-8 lawn signs and banners on the side of
their house. Near my home there is one car with Ron Paul bumper sticker. I often run
into other cars at Starbucks, Trader Joes, shopping centers, etc. with either Ron Paul
stickers, or magnetic side-door signs.

By contrast I have only seen a very few Obama stickers on cars. I know of two cars
near my work that are there regularly (neighbors most likely) with Obama stickers.
I have only seen on single car with a Hillary sticker.

Before Super Tuesday, when I walked around my neighborhood passing out Ron Paul
DVDs and slim-jims, I saw a few houses with Romney lawn signs.

Other than these I've seen nothing else. I am completely amazed how these show of
support translate to the primary numbers we witness... freaking amazing.

A. Havnes
04-10-2008, 09:19 AM
Haven't logged on in a while, and I'm glad I caught this news! Glad that McCain still doesn't quite have this thing in the bag yet!

GunnyFreedom
04-10-2008, 09:36 AM
Article bringing together a lot of quotes and bits around the lack of support for McCain including the efforts (and results) by a lot of Ron Paul supporters..

http://tinyurl.com/6xuj27

Now.. if you really want to show that the GOP doesn't have the support of all the Republican base then drop a few bucks on the newspaper or TV ads for NC and other remaining states. We need Paul above 5% in NC but it isn't likely to happen. The Meetups I'm a member of have all but disbanded. I see Obama and Clinton bumper stickers and signs but nothing for Ron Paul. There are no Ron Paul ads running here. What is likely to happen is McCain will get 75% of the vote or more in NC and Paul supporters here will have NO ground to stand on at the state convention. All 69 delegates from NC will most likely go to McCain.

You don't like the harsh reality I'm putting in front of you? Then do something about it. If you're in Paul campaign HQ then start working on getting something happening in NC while there is still some time. If you're in grassroots then put your money where your mouth is: fund TV Ads (http://alcpac.chipin.com/the-high-tide-airtime2) or the NC Newspaper ("http://widget.chipin.com/widget/id/ba2e14036bf999bf)

We CAN get huge numbers in NC -- IF WE HAVE HELP CANVASSING. the newspaper will help monumentally, so will signs and lit. but you don't ignite people without 'touching them' on the canvass.

If we had just huge numbers of people to come help us on the canvass, we could actually win this state.

slacker921
04-10-2008, 10:15 AM
I posted a poll here http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=132517 for those who want to let us know if you would canvass in NC..

One thing I'll add about this "GOP not uniting behind McCain" topic.. it's clear from the other state/county/district conventions that the GOP is having a hard time finding real supporters of McCain to actually show up. .. and I didn't hear of ANY McCain canvassing going on in early states. Huckabee and Romney had some real supporters out sign waving and canvassing but McCain hasn't had that support. Paul had the supporters.. McCain didn't and still doesn't.
Another way to look at that though.... is that McCain got where he is without canvassing. His campaign didn't see it as effective. Maybe they knew what they were doing?

GunnyFreedom
04-10-2008, 10:26 AM
I posted a poll here http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=132517 for those who want to let us know if you would canvass in NC..

One thing I'll add about this "GOP not uniting behind McCain" topic.. it's clear from the other state/county/district conventions that the GOP is having a hard time finding real supporters of McCain to actually show up. .. and I didn't hear of ANY McCain canvassing going on in early states. Huckabee and Romney had some real supporters out sign waving and canvassing but McCain hasn't had that support. Paul had the supporters.. McCain didn't and still doesn't.
Another way to look at that though.... is that McCain got where he is without canvassing. His campaign didn't see it as effective. Maybe they knew what they were doing?

Thanks a ton! PS - your NC Newspaper link in the signature doesn't work.

We really can do this thing. The NC folks i have spoken to really want to wake up. If we can get the manpower in, we can have a profoud impact on the national convention.

With enough help on the canvass, we could even win this state

The argument is pretty simple

Tell folks, Sure McCain may have the delegates needed for the nomination, and therefore your vote will not change that. So we have the opportunity to send America and the GOP a message -- we demand that Washington respect the US Constitution and the Bill of Rights. Vote for Ron Paul and sent RP delegates to the convention, and we will stand up and demand respect for the Constitution.

The reality is, unfortunately, that people will be MORE LIKELY to vote RP once they know that McCain is a given. It eases their fears about the 'war on terror' and then they can focus on 'other important issues' like the Constitution.

Republicans in this state are absolutely radical in their love of the Constitution -- no kidding -- and with enough people to spread the message RP can win this state.

robo1415
04-17-2008, 12:42 AM
I respect what the RP people are doing trying to take over the GOP in certain states...but ultimately,we need to educate an ignorant populace on what freedom really means...I'm afraid the GOP is a hopeless case....The only way they will change is to deliver them a McCain Defeat in November by running a strong Libertarian Candidate supported and campaigned for by Ron Paul....

Midnight77
04-17-2008, 01:15 AM
I respect what the RP people are doing trying to take over the GOP in certain states...but ultimately,we need to educate an ignorant populace on what freedom really means...I'm afraid the GOP is a hopeless case....The only way they will change is to deliver them a McCain Defeat in November by running a strong Libertarian Candidate supported and campaigned for by Ron Paul....

Ding Ding Ding. Primarily older voters comprise the GOP. And you are correct. Educating these people is a lost cause. As these people get older, they get more set in their ways, and really don't want to be educated.

The best thing anyone can do for this country is leave the GOP and register Independent or join the Libertarian or Constitution Parties. Whatever you do, the key is to get out of the GOP and let it die on its own.

Anyone who actually thinks they are "using" the GOP and "taking it over" to promote our causes is not only living in a Fantasy World ... but also prolonging making real changes that need to happen pretty damn fast in this country.

FindLiberty
04-17-2008, 02:42 AM
Wow, another winner - thanks robo1415 and Midnight77! (also clapping for ding, ding, ding comment)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robo1415

Quote:
Posted by Midnight77
Ding Ding Ding. Primarily older voters comprise the GOP. And you are correct. Educating these people is a lost cause. As these people get older, they get more set in their ways, and really don't want to be educated.

The best thing anyone can do for this country is leave the GOP and register Independent or join the Libertarian or Constitution Parties. Whatever you do, the key is to get out of the GOP and let it die on its own.

Anyone who actually thinks they are "using" the GOP and "taking it over" to promote our causes is not only living in a Fantasy World ... but also prolonging making real changes that need to happen pretty damn fast in this country.

Midnight77
04-17-2008, 12:35 PM
Wow, another winner - thanks robo1415 and Midnight77! (also clapping for ding, ding, ding comment)

Thank you. I'm glad more and more people are seeing that the GOP is a completely lost cause.

After writing that post, I decided to back up my words and registered Independent today ... and mailed in my registration form to the Secretary of State in California. Goodbye, GOP. And good riddens. May you never again come to power.

torchbearer
04-17-2008, 12:40 PM
Thank you. I'm glad more and more people are seeing that the GOP is a completely lost cause.

After writing that post, I decided to back up my words and registered Independent today ... and mailed in my registration form to the Secretary of State in California. Goodbye, GOP. And good riddens. May you never again come to power.

Yeh, its just easier to stand on the sideline and bitch and complain about the how futile it is that some people are still trying to take over the GOP.
We might actually succeed if people were helping instead of criticizing other's efforts.

Sandra
04-17-2008, 12:44 PM
Yeh, its just easier to stand on the sideline and bitch and complain about the how futile it is that some people are still trying to take over the GOP.
We might actually succeed if people were helping instead of criticizing other's efforts.

+1
An added bonus is when we succeed, we get to see the Republican stalwarts cry. :D

Midnight77
04-17-2008, 12:59 PM

I am doing something. And that is ending a lost cause, which you apparently still do not realize nor accept.

Me, doing what I am doing, is far more likely to bring about results and positive changes much faster than you continuing your "battle" to try and supposedly "educate" people. Which is not going to happen to any real degree.

I'm sorry, but I am a realist. The lack of people in the GOP that voted for Paul during the Primaries was a real eye-opener to me on how bad off the GOP really is. Why would you honestly want to support an organization like this?

The quickest, most efficient way to get results is to leave this organization and let it die. Contrary to what you may think, this is fighting the GOP, and I can guarantee you that my method is more time-efficient than your method. Which given the state of the country at the moment, time is not there to educate the massive amount of people that do not even want to be educated, in the first place.

What you are doing is prolonging the inevitable and prolonging the opportunity to make the positive changes that are needed in this country.

rancher89
04-17-2008, 08:25 PM
Thats too bad that the meetups in NC disbanded. Can understand why, but there is still the oppertunity to organize a group to go to the state convention where platform changes can be made and discussed. Also it can be a future contact list for people to write thier congressman on issues that can have results.

WHAT??? We have not disbanded, we are still here and working. The triangle and triad meetups are extremely active and the charlotte meetup has a strong core of people who are still behind RP, all the way. It's true our numbers have slimmed down, but we are getting nominated and elected to the national convention and have been working on getting like minded people elected to office. We are doing our level best to inform the public that Ron Paul is still on the ballot and that they don't have to vote for the lesser of three evils. A few dollars thrown our way would be extremely helpful.

rancher89
04-17-2008, 08:32 PM
Thanks a ton! PS - your NC Newspaper link in the signature doesn't work.

We really can do this thing. The NC folks i have spoken to really want to wake up. If we can get the manpower in, we can have a profoud impact on the national convention.

With enough help on the canvass, we could even win this state

The argument is pretty simple

Tell folks, Sure McCain may have the delegates needed for the nomination, and therefore your vote will not change that. So we have the opportunity to send America and the GOP a message -- we demand that Washington respect the US Constitution and the Bill of Rights. Vote for Ron Paul and sent RP delegates to the convention, and we will stand up and demand respect for the Constitution.

The reality is, unfortunately, that people will be MORE LIKELY to vote RP once they know that McCain is a given. It eases their fears about the 'war on terror' and then they can focus on 'other important issues' like the Constitution.

Republicans in this state are absolutely radical in their love of the Constitution -- no kidding -- and with enough people to spread the message RP can win this state.

It has been my personal experience that many hard core local republicans are pissed at bush, don't like mccain and are angry at the gop for forcing mccain on them. I have convinced many people to vote in our primary for either RP or Huckabee (I don't care if they vote for Donald Duck, as long as they don't vote for mccain...well I do, but it's hard to get those huckabee voters to vote for RP once they realize their "man" is still on the ballot...) They will vote a "protest vote in the primary and will vote the party line in november...I am a declared Ron Paul alternate delegate to the national convention and will fight the good fight as long as I can.