PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul Not Endorsing Bob Barr,... or anyone else!

bobbyw24
04-09-2008, 04:51 AM
http://www.freedomsphoenix.com/Feature-Article.htm?InfoNo=032158

Ron Paul Not Endorsing Bob Barr,... or anyone else!

Ernest Hancock
Date: 04-08-2008
Subject: Presidential Campaigns for 2008 - United States

Ron Paul is still running for President of the United States, collecting convention delegates and going to the Republican National Convention in September. Why would Dr. Paul endorse a 3rd party candidate that endorses the Flat Tax he opposes?

The Ron Paul campaign knows that there has been Internet traffic on the issue of Ron Paul getting involved with Libertarian Party politics from the beginning of the r3VOLution. My being an LP National Chair candidate in 2006 obligated me to make it very clear to the Ron Paul campaign as we began the Ron Paul Revolution in Phoenix, AZ that we had absolutely no expectation or desire for Ron Paul to get involved in Libertarian Party politics. Dr. Paul knows first hand what most libertarian activists know, that the Libertarian Party is just as prone to internal party politics as the R's and D's and that the r3VOLution is about the freeing of as many individual minds as possible.

Individuals have their own goals and no one in the r3VOLution felt that they were able to control the actions of other r3VOLutionaries or had a desire to be controlled, but know that support of Dr. Paul's libertarian message through the Republican convention process is a very rational decision for many.

There are many libertarian r3VOLutionaries that understood the opportunity that Ron Paul's campaign provided in the spreading of the libertarian message but they are not limited to Republican politics. The May 23rd - 26th 2008 Libertarian National Convention in Denver is known to all libertarians paying attention as the convention that will determine the future of the Libertarian Party and its future viability.

Without boring non-libertarians with too much detail I can sum up the divide as being between those that 'Oppose an all Powerful Government' and those that want 'Their Turn Being in Charge of an all Powerful Government'.

Former Republican congressman Bob Barr was recruited, placed on the Libertarian National Committee and promoted as a possible Libertarian Party candidate by LP insiders as someone that might spark the activism experienced by Ron Paul. But Bob Barr's initial support of such things like the PATRIOT Act and his current endorsement of the Flat Tax has proven to be a larger handicap than his supporters anticipated. When compared to Ron Paul it is clear why so many libertarians are supportive of a sitting Republican congressman.

I am of the opinion that Bob Barr's presidential hopes has come up against a fast approaching deadline and something must be done now for him to be considered by the Libertarians in Denver this May. He must have a campaign, and those supporting his effort are not the 'volunteer' types that work for free. Substantial sums of money must be raised immediately or there will be no Bob Barr campaign and the carefully woven plans of well placed insiders will disappear. So a month and a half from the nomination something must be done to save the effort.

All across the Internet there has been 'reported' rumors, insider information and wishful thinking that has elevated the issue of a Ron Paul endorsement to the point that the Ron Paul campaign has to get involved. If every thread of discussion on Internet Forums and Blogs concerning Dr. Paul were to be responded to by Paul's campaign they wouldn't be doing anything else. But his silence has elevated this rumor to a point that it must be addressed.

It's not going happen, and never was. Ron Paul is running for President of the United States, he's a sitting and just re-elected Republican congressman, his positions on several issues are very much different from Bob Barr's, Dr. Paul and many of his supporters have seen the workings of the LP from the inside and know many of the players personally, they know how the media would react and now I expect a statement from the Ron Paul presidential campaign to be imminent. And that he will make it very clear that while he is still running for president (all the way through the Republican National Convention) he will not be endorsing another candidate for President,... DUH!

I have made it very clear that I will have nothing to say about the selection of the Libertarian Party nominee. As a candidate for National Chair of the Libertarian Party at the 2008 Denver convention I don't think it appropriate. Bob Barr has every opportunity to present himself to libertarians and has done so several times across the country as a guest speaker at LP state conventions. But he has chosen not to announce his candidacy and has not participated in any of the debates with other LP candidates for President. However, just this last weekend he did announce his creation of an exploratory committee.

Ernest Hancock
Publisher – FreedomsPhoenix.com
Candidate for Libertarian Party National Chairman
www.ErnestHancock.org

speciallyblend
04-09-2008, 05:20 AM
then i guess after the republican convention, ILL NEED TO LOOK ELSEWHERE. WHAT RON PAUL NEEDS TO UNDERSTAND is I JOINED THE REPUBLICAN PARTY FOR HIS MESSAGE,but if the republican party ignores it,which they are . THEN MY VOTE WILL NOT BE FOR A REPUBLICAN ,but anyone but a republican.

Would be great if Ron Paul would tell the media he is still in the race, watching ron paul and then hearing jesse ventura ,tells me i wish ron paul could be as forceful in his responses as ventura ,but oo well.

FindLiberty
04-09-2008, 05:21 AM
...can sum up the divide as being between those that 'Oppose an all Powerful Government' and those that want 'Their Turn Being in Charge of an all Powerful Government'.

Michael Cloud said, "It's not the abuse of power, it's the power to abuse" QFT

Lovecraftian4Paul
04-09-2008, 05:23 AM
Who knows what Ron Paul will do? We will just have to see after the convention. I don't think a Barr endorsement by him is out of the question, if he is truly not going to be running in some form until November and there's no one better than Barr. We also know Ron Paul and Bob Barr held at least one secret meeting in early March, so who can say what the two have planned or what was discussed?

bobbyw24
04-09-2008, 08:02 AM
The article states the opinion of Ernie Hancock, a great Ron Paul Revolutionary who started the "Ron Paul Revolution" phrase.

Check out his excellent site:

http://www.freedomsphoenix.com

tonyr1988
04-09-2008, 08:28 AM
I think he's right on most things, but I don't think it's out of the question. After all, Dr. Paul himself has mentioned that he won't vote for McCain, Obama, or Clinton. That means he's voting 3rd party...but the question is whether or not he'll feel strongly enough to endorse the person he votes for.

Drsteveparent
04-09-2008, 08:38 AM
Barr has a terrible record if you look at it he has flip flopped so much he could be mitt romneys brother and i am disappointed that Bradley in DC would claim bob barr is a great guy and would make a good president because i don't buy it.

His record says it all that he will pander which ever way the wind is blowing that day and i will never support a man like that ever again.

RonPaulFever
04-09-2008, 08:43 AM
Who cares about endorsements anyway? They're pretty much meaningless nowadays. If you like the guy, vote for him....don't wait for instructions from Dear Leader.

qh4dotcom
04-09-2008, 08:54 AM
Ron Paul said he would endorse McCain ONLY IF McCain changed his platform and then said he couldn't do it because of McCain's foreign policy.

So if Ron Paul is willing to endorse McCain if he makes some changes....then I see no reason he can't endorse Barr after the convention.

antboy
04-09-2008, 07:54 PM
Ron Paul said he would endorse McCain ONLY IF McCain changed his platform and then said he couldn't do it because of McCain's foreign policy.

So if Ron Paul is willing to endorse McCain if he makes some changes....then I see no reason he can't endorse Barr after the convention.

You're right. Let me add that I think it quite possible that Ron Paul would also endorse Dr. Mary Ruwart if she got the nomination:

(1) Paul nominated Ruwart in 2002 to be the FDA Commissioner.

(2) Paul gave a rave review to Ruwart's libertarian primer, Healing Our World, which appears on the back cover of her book.

(3) Ruwart voted for Paul in a contentious 1988 nomination battle in the LP, and she was a maxed out contributor to his current presidential campaign. She didn't enter the LP race until after Paul's early March announcement.

(4) One of Ruwart's announced campaign themes is support for Paul's Health Freedom Protection Act. She has been an Assistant Professor of Surgery and research scientist in the pharmaceuticals industry, and speaks with authority on this issue.

Okay, so maybe it would be cheesy to call her Dr. R from Texas, but they have a long history of supporting each other, and I would be surprised not to see it continue this year if she is the nominee. She also has none of the package Ernest Hancock accurately described that is affecting Bob Barr's prospects within the LP.

At this point, it appears quite likely that the LP will nominate either Ruwart or Barr, both with long-standing ties to Paul, and as the only party ever smart enough to nominate Ron Paul for President, it certainly deserves a look for those who don't see the Republican Party as a congenial home for the r3VOLution.

But it is very hard to know what Dr. Paul is going to do at this point. I'm very much looking forward to his upcoming book to see what his thoughts are about the future of the movement.