PDA

View Full Version : DST benefits Gubmint?.... WTFE.... should this be changed????

Roxi
04-08-2008, 09:11 PM
OK i was a moron when this happened and didn't pay attention to anything, I like a good little sheeple just set my clocks back when the news told me to, or better when someone called to remind me...

I want everyones thoughts on this and if there have been efforts to abolish it, etc... also am i crazy but are they just fast forwarding time this way? can congress really fast forward time? whats next BILL30894: Time the Sun sets Act? wtf?

http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/consumerawareness/a/dstextend.htm

Energy Bill Would Extend Daylight Savings Time
From Robert Longley,
Your Guide to US Government Info.
FREE Newsletter. Sign Up Now!
An extra month of "synthetic sunshine" every year
Love it or hate it, America's annual observance of daylight savings time would be extended one additional month under a provision of the massive Energy Policy Act of 2005.

Currently observed from the first Sunday in April to the last Sunday in October, daylight savings time would be observed from the second Sunday in March to the first Sunday in November, should the bill be passed by Congress and signed into law by President Bush. (And it was.)

States may choose not to observe daylight savings time under conditions specified by the Uniform Time Act of 1966 (15 U.S.C. 260a.)

Daylight Saving Time -- for the U.S. and its territories -- is NOT observed in Hawaii, American Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, the Eastern Time Zone portion of the State of Indiana, and by most of Arizona (with the exception of the Navajo Indian Reservation in Arizona). These states and territories remain on their local "standard" time throughout the year.

Enactment of the Energy Policy Act of 2005 will not alter the rights of the states and territories to choose not to observe daylight savings time.

The Energy Policy Act of 2005 was passed by the House in a 249-183 vote after two days of debate and should be considered by the Senate early this summer. If the bill proceeds to become law, the extension of daylight savings time could go into effect as early as spring of 2006.

How Does Daylight Savings Time Save Energy?
Theory has it that daylight savings time promotes energy conservation. According to the California Energy Commission, energy use and the demand for electricity for lighting homes is directly connected to bedtime. When people go to bed, they turn of lights, TVs and other appliances, which account for about 25 percent of America's daily total use of electricity.

Studies done in the 1970s by the U.S. Department of Transportation show that America's electricity usage is reduced by about one percent during each day that daylight savings time is in effect.

Also in the Energy Bill
Other major provisions of the Energy Policy Act of 2005 include the allowance of oil drilling in an Alaska wildlife refuge and the creation of policies to shield makers of a gasoline additives from future water contamination lawsuits.

The bill also provides $12 billion in tax breaks and subsidies for energy companies, more than the Bush administration said it wanted. Nevertheless the White House strongly backs passage of the bill.
a quote from the Daylight Savings time Wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time

Although an early goal of DST was to reduce evening usage of incandescent lighting, formerly a primary use of electricity,[6] modern heating and cooling usage patterns can cause DST to increase electricity consumption

ummm hellOOO?

so i guess i need to look up who's bill it was right?... oh also

The practice is controversial.[1] Adding daylight to afternoons benefits retailing, sports, and other activities that exploit sunlight after working hours,[2] but causes problems for farming, entertainment and other occupations tied to the sun.

........also from the wiki

Roxi
05-26-2008, 03:53 PM
anyone?

Dorfsmith
05-26-2008, 04:05 PM
I don't know. All I know is that we don't have to deal with any of that in Arizona...unless things change.

Tarzan
05-26-2008, 04:08 PM
I don't really care if they take an hour away at the beginning of the year and give it back at the end of the year... the problem is they don't pay any interest on the loan of that hour. :)

Seriously though... some studies have shown it does not save us anything in energy. If that is the case then the practice is stupid and should be stopped.

inibo
05-26-2008, 04:12 PM
anyone?

I think DST is silly, and changing the time it starts/stops arbitrarily wreaks subtle havoc on computer systems. When the Sun comes up it's daytime, when it goes down it's night. It worked for umpteen thousands of years just fine.

SLSteven
05-26-2008, 06:06 PM
The idea of daylight saving was first conceived by Benjamin Franklin during his sojourn as an American delegate in Paris in 1784, in an essay, "An Economical Project."

It is hard to argue against most of Franklin's ideas.