PDA

View Full Version : Iodine Reduces Fluoride

SevenEyedJeff
04-08-2008, 12:39 PM
I have read that iodine in the American diet has declined by more than 80% since 1940, and I have seen reports that even many of the iodized salts we buy at the store have less than the advertised content of iodine in them. In addition, in the early 1980s, bromine replaced iodine in the bread making process, which further reduced the iodine level in the American diet.

Since iodine competes with fluoride in the thyroid gland, perhaps increasing this nutrient will improve our health and make us less susceptible to the negative effects of fluoride. The thyroid gland helps control many vital functions of the body which leads me to believe that iodine is a crucial nutrient we need much more of.

I have read articles that theorize that reduced iodine in our diets are largely responsible for the decline of overall human health. Any thoughts on this?

Zippyjuan
04-08-2008, 01:23 PM
I think the decline in US health is consuming more fats and refined sugars and salts and getting less exercise. These are much more important factors than flouride. People used to work physically harder, get outside more, and eat more fresh fruits and vegetables and whole grains. Now we sit in our cars, sit at a desk, sit in front of a computer or TV and eat fast foods and drink sodas. Even kids don't play outside as much anymore.

thuja
04-08-2008, 01:45 PM
I have read that iodine in the American diet has declined by more than 80% since 1940, and I have seen reports that even many of the iodized salts we buy at the store have less than the advertised content of iodine in them. In addition, in the early 1980s, bromine replaced iodine in the bread making process, which further reduced the iodine level in the American diet.

Since iodine competes with fluoride in the thyroid gland, perhaps increasing this nutrient will improve our health and make us less susceptible to the negative effects of fluoride. The thyroid gland helps control many vital functions of the body which leads me to believe that iodine is a crucial nutrient we need much more of.

I have read articles that theorize that reduced iodine in our diets are largely responsible for the decline of overall human health. Any thoughts on this?
since rocket fuel,( perchlorate), is polluting us, like on produce, making people suffer from thyroid problems, it seems even more important to care for thyroid health. (perchlorate is in fireworks, too.)

then of course there is the flouride problem. maybe using a kelp supplement will help. i am curious how pollutants are removed from kelp before making supplements out of it though.

Dr.3D
04-08-2008, 01:46 PM
Any good multivitamin with 150mcg of iodine should be enough to counter any problems with iodine deficiency. If you get too much iodine, you can also have problems. Fish and sea weed is usually a good natural food to get iodine from. Beware though, if you have not been getting enough, for a long time, suddenly adding enough may be too much if done too quickly as your thyroid may be already able to absorb more than it would normally have been able to absorb.

yongrel
04-08-2008, 07:21 PM
http://hurryupharry.bloghouse.net/archives/cartoon.jpg

DanConway
04-08-2008, 09:26 PM
Any good multivitamin with 150mcg of iodine should be enough to counter any problems with iodine deficiency. If you get too much iodine, you can also have problems. Fish and sea weed is usually a good natural food to get iodine from. Beware though, if you have not been getting enough, for a long time, suddenly adding enough may be too much if done too quickly as your thyroid may be already able to absorb more than it would normally have been able to absorb.

I'm not convinced of this. One, the RDA for iodine was set up strictly based on prevention of goiter, which it does, but not based on any other measures of thyroid (or any other part of the body) function. Two, with increased levels of fluoride, etc., in our environment, we need more iodine just to counteract that. Three, my personal experience: I took 50mg/day -- yes, milligrams -- of supplemental iodine for six months (recently dropped to 25mg) and didn't get problems from it -- actually, doing that and really nothing else raised my resting body temperature from 97.1 (a clear sign of hypothyroidism -- if only I'd known about this when I was younger! That was my resting body temperature for years) to a much better 97.8 in a couple months. The healthy resting body temperature for people is about 98.2, which I'm usually close to these days.