PDA

View Full Version : Sanford is still pissed at fed gov!

kirkblitz
04-08-2008, 12:38 PM
Sanford still sour on REAL ID
Gov. Mark Sanford wrote a letter Tuesday to the secretary of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security — and to all members of Congress and to all governors — blasting a new federal identification program as costly, ineffective and, in some areas, unnecessary.

The DHS secretary, Michael Chertoff, granted South Carolina an extension last month so the state could comply with the standards of the new program, called Real ID, designed to produce more standardized, secure identification documents.

DHS had told states that, if they did not request an extension by the end of March, their driver’s licenses would not be sufficient idenfitication for travel on airplanes or entrance to federal buildings. That threat opened the prospect of long lines at airports in South Carolina as passengers endured physical security checks.

Sanford never did request an extension, but Chertoff gave the state one anyway, arguing that South Carolina was making progress toward complying with Real ID.

In Tuesday’s letter, Sanford essentially told Chertoff: Thanks for not punishing South Carolina travelers, but Real ID is still a bad idea.

“The states have as much interest in promoting national security as the federal government does, and we do not need the federal government to tell us how to protect our own citizens,” Sanford wrote.

During his Cabinet meeting Tuesday morning, Sanford said he wants the country to have a debate about the merits and costs of Real ID, which he estimates to be more than $100 million in South Carolina.

http://thestatecom.typepad.com/ygatoday/2008/04/sanford-still-s.html

winston_blade
04-08-2008, 02:59 PM
We need this guy to run for President. He may not be perfect, but I still think he would make a good president.

dsentell
04-08-2008, 03:25 PM
We need this guy to run for President. He may not be perfect, but I still think he would make a good president.

Yeah, he sure beats the big three annointed by the media . . .

Kotin
04-08-2008, 03:43 PM
i very much respect Mark Sanford.

nmlifestyles
04-08-2008, 03:52 PM
When Ron Paul came to Spartanburg, SC in July he was asked who he'd consider to be VP and he told us Gov. Sanford would be a considered!