04-08-2008, 11:25 AM
Bad news everyone. I received the following e-mail this morning:

I regretfully send you this email to inform you of yet another
plot to enslave the American people in an unconstitutional
framework of databases under the guise of "security". Recently
Congressman Mark Kirk from Illinois 10th District introduced a
bill to create a "Secure Social Security Card". This new card
is clearly a run around to the state's opposition to Real ID and
we must do all in our power to prevent it from becoming law.

FIRST: Watch this short video recorded at the town hall meeting
where Congressman Kirk talks about the "Secure Social Security
Card": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrsJVZe41Dg

SECOND: Review and comment on the in depth article about it here:
http://www.restoretherepublic.com/content/view/627/71/

THIRD: Contact your congressman and instruct them to vote against
HR 5405: https://forms.house.gov/wyr/welcome.shtml

FORTH: Post this email on your blog, post it in forums, forward
it to every member in your address book.

FIFTH: Track the status of HR 5405 at
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h110-5405

Unlike Real ID where the States can rise up and fight it
independently, the "Secure Social Security Card" must be fought
at the federal level by contacting our members of congress.

This is another attempt at connecting the American people into
the international databases of the New World Order. They are
failing with Real ID and are attempting to use the SS card as
the bridge. They will only succeed if we let them and you need
to take the steps help us defeat this plan before it takes root.

Listening to the footsteps of the revolution,

Gary Franchi
National Director
RestoreTheRepublic.com

TruthAtLast
04-08-2008, 11:47 AM
That guy is a tool. He can't even explain the bill that HE is introducing.

"we need to protect against counterfeiting just like our currency."

Yeah, but my money doesn't place my personal information in a database. The guy even admits that he can't stop the counterfeiting anyway.

This is an automatic 3 strikes in my book. Anyone who comes up with bills like this, or the Homegrown Terrorist Act, or the any other surveillance bill that violates our rights, they ARE DONE... FIRED! I will donate heavily to anyone running against these people.

TruthAtLast
04-08-2008, 11:55 AM
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d110:HR05405:@@@L&summ2=m&

SUMMARY AS OF:
2/13/2008--Introduced.

Social Security Identity Theft Prevention Act - Amends title II (Old Age, Survivors and Disability Insurance) of the Social Security Act to require Social Security cards to be made of tamperproof and wear-resistant material (currently, of banknote paper), and include a digital image of the cardholder as well as an encrypted, machine-readable electronic record containing biometric identifiers.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?c110:2:./temp/~c110R1qVQI::

To protect seniors from identity theft and strengthen our national security by providing for the issuance of a secure Social Security card.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the `Social Security Identity Theft Prevention Act'.

SEC. 2. UPDATED AND SECURE SOCIAL SECURITY CARDS.

(a) In General- Section 205(c)(2)(G) of the Social Security Act (42 U.S.C. 405(c)(2)(G)) is amended--

(1) by inserting `(i)' after `(G)';

(2) in the last sentence, by striking `shall be made of banknote paper, and'; and

(3) by adding at the end the following new clauses:

`(ii) A social security card issued pursuant to clause (i) of this subparagraph to an individual described in subparagraph (B)(ii) shall--

`(I) be made of tamperproof and wear-resistant material;

`(II) have clearly marked on its face the name and social security account number of the individual to whom the card is issued;

`(III) in the case of a card issued to an individual after attaining age 16, display a digital image, captured directly by an officer or employee of the Social Security Administration acting in his or her official capacity, of the person to whom the social security account number was issued and the date on which that image was captured; and

`(IV) contain an encrypted, machine-readable electronic record which shall include records of biometric identifiers unique to the individual to whom the card is issued, including a copy of any digitized facial image printed on the face of the card pursuant to subclause (III).

`(iii) The Commissioner shall take such actions as are necessary to ensure that replacement cards meeting the requirements of clause (ii)(III) are issued to individuals upon attaining age 16.

`(iv) The Commissioner may charge a reasonable fee to the recipient as a condition for issuance of a social security card under this subparagraph to an individual described in subparagraph (B)(ii). Fees charged under this clause shall be in amounts not greater than amounts necessary to meet the administrative costs attributable to the requirements of clauses (ii) and (iii) of this subparagraph. Amounts received by the Commissioner under this clause shall be deposited in the Federal Old-Age and Survivors Insurance Trust Fund and shall be available for use by the Commissioner solely for purposes of meeting such requirements.

`(v) The Commissioner may through a Memorandum of Understanding and a reimbursement of costs, delegate to the Secretary of Homeland Security the process of meeting the requirements of this subparagraph by using the existing secure card manufacturing facilities and related systems used to produce the Permanent Resident Card and the B1/B2 Visa.'.

(b) Effective Date- The amendments made by subsection (a) of this section shall apply with respect to social security cards issued after 2 years after the date of the enactment of this Act. Nothing in this Act or the amendments made thereby shall be construed to require the reissuance of a social security card that has been issued during or prior to such 2-year period in a form that meets the standards established in such amendments, unless the reissuance of such card is determined by the Commissioner of Social Security to be necessary by reason of loss or theft of, or damage to, the card.

humanic
04-08-2008, 09:14 PM
bump

ronpaulblogsdotcom
04-08-2008, 09:19 PM
Bump and I am going to blog this in about an hour.

Edit: This is in committee and is being pushed as a "senior" bill. I cant remember an elderly terrorist perpetrating fraud or any social security fraud at all. SOmetimes younger people would coerce older people to give over money but this would not solve that.

This bill is in committee and may never make it out of committee. I am not sure why people are stating this is so imperative.

I think Repealing Homegrown Terrorism or get the war stopped would be more fruitful. If you want to check the Ways and Means Committee to see if any of your Reps are on it here it is.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/committee.xpd?id=HSWM

Maybe write them a quick letter. Its good to stop things in committe but they may have already decided the bill has no point.

TruthAtLast
04-09-2008, 09:17 AM
bump - people need to be aware of this. we have pretty much defeated the REAL ID but this is their "plan B". We need to shoot this down too.

jabrownie
04-09-2008, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the heads up on this. My congressman is on the committee so I'll go call them now.

Rhys
04-09-2008, 12:13 PM
i emailed my rep

freedom-maniac
04-09-2008, 01:10 PM
What's the legislature and exec. like in Illinois? Are they different parties, so nothing ever gets done, or what?

Carole
04-09-2008, 01:39 PM
Ditto :)

jlaker
04-09-2008, 01:44 PM
I e-mailed my rep last night to vote against HR 5405.

belian78
04-09-2008, 02:28 PM
What's the legislature and exec. like in Illinois? Are they different parties, so nothing ever gets done, or what?

the only time things get caught up in back and forth arguments here in IL is when their doing the budget for the most part. they all agree the money will get spent, even that which we dont have, they just argue in which way it will be spent. and then to top it all off, our lovely govenor then changes funding apporpriations as he sees fit once the budget has been approved. LOL

as far as legislation like this, i dont know. i know that in my district primaries, all 3 R candidates supported the patriot act/WOT/Real ID so i'm a bit worried myself.

i've said it time and time again, if it werent for my son's brothers being in IL, i'd be out in a heartbeat. i hate this state.

sluggo
04-09-2008, 03:29 PM
Email sent. Calling tomorrow.

humanic
04-09-2008, 06:40 PM
If you haven't yet contacted your congressman about this please set aside a few minutes to do it tomorrow!

sluggo
04-10-2008, 06:08 AM
Bump for the morning crowd.

If you don't know who your Congress person is or how to get in touch with them, use this link:
http://www.congress.org/congressorg/directory/congdir.tt

Cinderella
04-10-2008, 06:39 AM
bump....obviously real ID failed....so this is the next step....lets fight it all

humanic
04-10-2008, 01:43 PM
Here is the letter that I sent. I don't recommend copying and pasting it since they may be more likely to disregard a form letter than one written by you personally, but I thought some may want to read it.

Congressman XXXXXXXXXX,

I have recently learned of the introduction of H.R. 5405 in the House. This bill, deceptively named the "Social Security Identity Theft Prevention Act", will create massive new biometric databases of every American to assist in tracking and authenticating the new card.

The US Government has a tarnished record of managing databases. The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs lost a laptop and external hard drive to thieves jeopardizing the identities of 26.5 million veterans. The Metropolitan State College in Denver, the U.S. Department of Agriculture, and Los Angeles' Department of Social Services have each fallen victim to their databases being plundered. Foreign intelligence hackers, high tech terrorists, and identity thieves would have a one-stop-shop of every American in a Social Security database no longer just rich in numbers, but now biometric data. This card will not prevent Identify Theft.

The Social Security card was never intended to be an identification card. Moreover, this act violates many of the inalienable rights guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution. It is ILLEGAL act.

You have taken the following oath:

"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter: So help me God."

Therefore, to vote in favor of this act would render you a perjurer and a criminal. Please do not be fooled by this act's Orwellian title. Do not break the law, endanger your constituents' identities, and violate your constituents' inalienable, Constitutionally-protected rights by voting in favor of this abomination (H.R. 5405).

Sincerely, your fellow American,
XXXXXXXXXXX

freelance
04-10-2008, 02:17 PM
(III) in the case of a card issued to an individual after attaining age 16, display a digital image, captured directly by an officer or employee of the Social Security Administration acting in his or her official capacity, of the person to whom the social security account number was issued and the date on which that image was captured;

So how will one enter a Federal Bldg. in a non-real ID state?

micahnelson
04-10-2008, 02:20 PM
Amazing. Will blog this post haste

humanic
04-11-2008, 04:34 PM
anti-1984 bump

humanic
04-19-2008, 08:13 PM
jump