PDA

View Full Version : Sarasota County Republican Party trying to screw RP supporters

Join The Paul Side
04-07-2008, 02:59 AM
Ron Paul's people get bum's rush from GOP

Published Monday, April 7, 2008 at 4:30 a.m.

Sarasota County Republican Party leaders once greeted the local supporters of presidential long-shot Ron Paul with open arms.

But that was before party leaders became convinced Paul's backers were determined to take over.

Now party leaders are doing everything they can to block new members from joining the Republican Executive Committee. That has included freezing its membership and adjourning a monthly meeting early to prevent Paul supporters from speaking.

"They want to take over the REC," county GOP chairman Eric Robinson said. "They are not offering what we thought they were offering."

Robinson said the party was set to freeze its membership because another Republican has threatened to sue them over their membership practices. He said the timing was opportune, allowing the committee to review membership practices.

Robinson said that instead of applying their energy and enthusiasm to help other candidates, Paul supporters are out to bully and force their agenda on Republicans.

Robinson is partially right, said Curt Schultz, a Paul organizer from Bradenton. He said the Republican Party needs to return to supporting less government and more personal freedoms, principles it has left behind. So his group is out to exert influence on the local party.

Though Paul finished a distant fifth in Florida's Republican presidential primary, Schultz said that was far from the end of the ""Ron Paul Revolution." All around the state, Paul supporters are trying to join local Republican parties to begin reshaping their agendas, Schultz said.

Primary challenge

Jason Newcomb, a Sarasota Republican and Paul backer, has filed to run for the District 69 state House seat against fellow Republican Laura Benson. If both remain in the race, they would face off in an Aug. 26 primary.

The winner of the primary would challenge state Rep. Keith Fitzgerald, D-Sarasota, in November.

Newcomb, 35, said he does not like the way government operates. But he did not feel the urge to run for office, he said, until he heard Paul preaching on the need to rein in wasteful government spending.

"Absolutely, he cured my apathy," said Newcomb, a Massachusetts native who moved to Sarasota three years ago.

Newcomb said he is a life coach, teaching clients "neuro-linguistic programming and hypnosis." He said he helps people organize their goals into plans.

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20080407/COLUMNIST89/804070333/-1/newssitemap

orlandoinfl
04-07-2008, 03:03 AM
You gotta fight the neocon out of these people. They'll come around soon enough.

Join The Paul Side
04-07-2008, 08:22 AM
I'm amazed how the GOP thinks we are just going to put up with their crap. They have lost their way so of course people will come in and try to take over and boot their asses out. That's the whole point of this delegate process and our democracy. When our leaders become too corrupt to perform for the people they get removed and replaced. It's not our fault they got so cozy in their seats that they didn't see this coming. Idiots! :D

Sandra
04-07-2008, 08:27 AM
So the trickes they are using got exposed in the press?! :eek: Wow what will this do for the Sarasota stagnisnots? (That's a stagnant snot)

JS4Pat
04-07-2008, 09:16 AM
I wonder if the RECs around the state of Florida have been directed to do this.

I know in Jacksonville (Duval County REC) we have been welcomed and encouraged to stay involved.

However in St. Augustine (St. Johns County REC) we have been treated the same way Sarasota has been treated.

I'm copying this from another thread...

A group of Ron Paul supporters began attending the St. Johns County REC monthly Meetings last summer. We were passionate about supporting Dr. Paul – but always remained courteous & professional. It became pretty obvious that most of the REC leadership was not very interested in our involvement.

As we attended more and more meetings (as guests) we began asking about gaining membership. At first we were told we must attend three meetings - then we were told 3 consecutive meetings (we had missed one) – then we were told that we had to first be invited by an existing member. So then we began looking for members “sympathetic to our cause” who would “invite us” to the meetings. Now I have been informed that the REC is closed to guests & new members until July 2008 at which time they will entertain new applications.

I have sent repeated e-mails to the entire REC leadership team politely asking for the official REC rules on membership and for a list of open Precinct Leader Positions. I explained that I know of many young enthusiastic Republicans who want to become involved in the party and are willing to serve as Precinct Leaders. They continue to ignore me. I’m pretty sure they are reading my messages because I pointed out that the County GOP Website (http://sjgop.homestead.com/index.html) stated the following:

“The Republican Executive Committee represents St. Johns County on behalf of the Republican Party of Florida. The meetings are open to all interested Republicans. The Republican Executive Committee is not a social club. Its monthly meetings are primarily for the purpose of conducting official Republican Party business”

THE NEXT DAY IT CHANGED TO:

The Republican Executive Committee represents St. Johns County on behalf of the Republican Party of Florida. The Republican Executive Committee is not a social club. Its monthly meeting are primarily for the purpose of conducting official Republican Party business.

Possible Options:

1. Wait until July and try again…

2. Pursue formal complaints with the Republican Party of Florida…

3. Contact the local media and let them know that the local Republican Party is discriminating against certain Republicans – then show up in force at the meeting and let them physically stop us from attending…

Thoughts/Advice?

Join The Paul Side
04-07-2008, 09:37 AM
Is litigation possible? ;)

Sandra
04-07-2008, 09:39 AM
If that's the way they want it they have fatally cut the throat of the Republican Party of that state, at which point the national party will have to step in. The RNC is now bankrupt and will have to bring fresh members if it is to survive as a party. This will have to be done state by state.

Conza88
04-07-2008, 09:39 AM
Possible Options:
2. Pursue formal complaints with the Republican Party of Florida…

3. Contact the local media and let them know that the local Republican Party is discriminating against certain Republicans – then show up in force at the meeting and let them physically stop us from attending…

Thoughts/Advice?

1. will change nothing. 2 & 3. Go for it...
Actually - make a threat to the leadership first? (if you think that might persuade them to turn around) if not, don't notify them - they'll have an excuse prepared then, or be out of the office. BASTARDS!@!!:mad:

Ladiliberty
04-21-2008, 10:41 AM
Call your county supervisor of Elections (SOE). Ask them the dates for filing for
(your county ) REC race and get the county precinct REC membership list from the SOE too! Yes Race it is an elected post. Once you file you canvas your precinct asking for your neighbors vote. They hold election every 4 years to coincide with the presidential election year. Then in Dec the new members and old members that retained their REC seat will vote in new officers.