PDA

View Full Version : The Ron Paul Movement can be Powerful

stu2002
04-06-2008, 05:24 PM
Someone to vote for?
Posted by Richard Spencer on April 06, 2008

Here is the video (via CNN) of Bob Barr’s official announcement that he’s forming a presidential exploratory committee. It now looks very likely that he’ll get the Libertarian Party nod. (Jim Antle’s analysis of the situation, pre-announcement, is here.)

A political rumors blog is also reporting that Barr will receive the endorsement of Ron Paul. Barr is a good man, and I would be proud to vote for him in November; however, a Paul endorsement of Barr would be simply more evidence that the Paul campaign and movement are adrift without much in the way of grand strategy.

As we’ve discussed here, the Paul movement can become a powerful force in basically two ways. First there’s the Antle strategy: Paul supporters should remain in the GOP and become a principled, rambunctious contingent that would raise hell at the convention, try to take over local party structures, and steer the GOP back onto a traditional conservative course.

Then there’s the Raimondo strategy: the GOP is too far gone, and the Paul movement is better served by using the momentum of the campaign to launch a third party.

Both of these would be scuttled by Paul’s backing of Barr. On the one hand, the Paul people would have no power whatsoever in a GOP convention if their leader had already defected to the Libertarians. On the other, it seems bizarre for Paul to have built up all this online support, to have actually beaten a number of the GOP big names in early primaries, and then to endorse a party that earned .34% in the 2004 election. Sure, “it’s all about the ideas,” but it was Paul, the avuncular strait-shootin’ Texan, who was attractive to a wide variety of people in a way that the academic LP candidates simply haven’t been. At the very least, it was the Paul campaign, and those surrounding it, who developed the online fundraising “bombs” and laid the foundations for a movement. Why should Paul drop all this and endorse a former congressman who’s starting from scratch? It makes no sense.

I’m all for voting for Barr; however, this or that principled third-party candidate is irrelevant if we’re not building up institutions for the long term.

Print Article
Email Article
Email the Editor

Kotin
04-06-2008, 05:32 PM
i tend to agree.

Barr will never be able to carry this movement.

acroso
04-06-2008, 05:36 PM
Well there have only been 20 million votes cast. Paul has taken almost 1 million.

If you consider Bush took about 60 million in 2004, and you consider what if 2-3 million of those were Paul supporters?

3X1 million= 3 million. So 2-3 million in a general?

Badger Paul
04-06-2008, 08:02 PM
Paul will probably stay quiet, at least until the convention and then see what happens. Having Barr around gives Paul a lot of leverage he would not have had and McCain may very well treat us well to keep any kind of defection from happening.

But neither McCain nor Paul can't control or know what we do in a voting booth and for all of us, supporting McCain is impossible.

mcgraw_wv
04-06-2008, 08:20 PM
I highly doubt a presidential nominee that is still in a race, would endorce someone else trying to achieve the same goal...

Eric21ND
04-07-2008, 05:07 AM
I wish he would just run independent.

orlandoinfl
04-07-2008, 06:26 AM
This Revolution dies when we take ourselves out of the GOP contention, plain and simple. Your moral sensibilities for voting against the GOP and voting for the go-nowhere Libertarians will be the destruction of this country. Bob Barr is coming into this thing late and will never receive even the following that Ron Paul had when he didn't win the primaries.

Ron Paul in the GOP is the only thing that should matter to you if you are really serious about the threat that an Obama, Hilary, or McCain presidency poses.