PDA

View Full Version : Even if a delegate is bound by rules, there's no law right?

Rhys
04-05-2008, 07:38 PM
Does it matter if delegates are bound or not? We do have a republic and it's not like the GOP is even a government entity. Also, no one fulfils their campaign promises, so why start now? Just vote Ron Paul if you're bound or not, right?

m72mc
04-05-2008, 07:43 PM
Check your local gop rules I would guess it might differ between states.

Bradley in DC
04-05-2008, 07:44 PM
There are very different rules in different states. Yes, in some cases at least, they are bound by state law.

As I've pointed out starting many months ago, the whole question is, at this point, moot since the official campaign didn't get us a majority in any states--much less the five minimum states (including DC and the territories) to get nominated in the first place.

As it stands now (and LOTS could change between now and then), I suspect that McCain would be nominated by suspending the rules and avoiding a roll call (which would eat up prime time TV coverage and detract from the scripted show). Who know though?

IPSecure
04-05-2008, 07:46 PM
"There's No Such Things as a Pledged Delegate" - Hillary Clinton

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-trailguide_rightrail_0404apr04,0,2244606.story

Hillary Clinton hinted Thursday that she hoped to persuade some delegates pledged to Barack Obama to back her instead. "There is no such thing as a pledged delegate," Clinton said in Burbank, Calif., adding: "The whole point is for delegates, however they are chosen, to really ask themselves who would be the best president and who would be our best nominee against Sen. [John] McCain." While there is no rule requiring pledged delegates won in primaries and caucuses to vote for the candidate, such delegates are selected by the campaigns that won them.

—Associated Press

Bradley in DC
04-05-2008, 07:50 PM
"There's No Such Things as a Pledged Delegate" - Hillary Clinton

Democrats and Republicans are in different parties and have different rules. Apples and oranges. Republicans DO have "bound" delegates.

Rhys
04-05-2008, 07:58 PM
jail in some states? is it worth it?

soapmistress
04-05-2008, 08:44 PM
Civil Disobedience ?

Yom
04-05-2008, 09:03 PM
jail in some states? is it worth it?

Probably not, but that's what it took to overturn Jim Crow (unfortuantely they decided to throw in some unconstitutional things into the Civil Rights Act as well).

angelatc
04-05-2008, 09:29 PM
There are very different rules in different states. Yes, in some cases at least, they are bound by state law.

What is the penalty? And would the vote be voided ?

Alawn
04-06-2008, 02:10 AM
Some states have no penalty. Others do have a penalty. But the votes would not be voided.

Bradley in DC
04-06-2008, 02:14 AM
What is the penalty? And would the vote be voided ?

different ones in different states

the point is unless we win a majority of delegates in five states, he's not eligible to be nominated so no votes would count, bound or not.

Conza88
04-06-2008, 02:39 AM
the point is unless we win a majority of delegates in five states, he's not eligible to be nominated so no votes would count, bound or not.

Pretty sure thats wrong... lol

orlandoinfl
04-06-2008, 03:15 AM
There have been ZERO State conventions so far. Ron Paul must win the delegates of 5 states from this process but guess what? If we get a bunch of RoN Paul delegates in the country/precint conventions, then we will have a majority at State conventions where we can throw out chairmen and unbind delegates with 2/3 vote.

This is not over.

Bradley in DC
04-06-2008, 03:18 AM
Pretty sure thats wrong... lol

Pretty sure I'm right...lol

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=104384

Bradley in DC
04-06-2008, 03:24 AM
There have been ZERO State conventions so far. Ron Paul must win the delegates of 5 states from this process but guess what? If we get a bunch of RoN Paul delegates in the country/precint conventions, then we will have a majority at State conventions where we can throw out chairmen and unbind delegates with 2/3 vote.

This is not over.

I appreciate the enthusiasm and optimism. Many states have no conventions at all, and the delegate selection process is finished in most states.

In the remaining states with state conventions, the rules may not allow the state convention delegates to unbind the national convention delegates (without losing half of their delegation for violating RNC rules by changing their process after the call of the convention which was last September). In addition, in many states, the state convention delegates CANNOT just vote to unbind the national convention delegates at the current state convention anyway (it would have had to have been done at the previous one).

orlandoinfl
04-06-2008, 03:29 AM
Robert's Rules of Orders allow the unbinding and changing of rules by a 2/3 vote.

Nice try, though. Keep your heads up and your wits about you. Detractors show up at the most critical times.

robertwerden
04-06-2008, 08:27 AM
I was elected at local level to be at county, I was elected at county to be at state. When I get to state im voting for Ron Paul supporters only including my self. If I go to national, there is no way im voting for McCinsane.

If Ron Paul gets more delegates than McCain, then clearly Ron Paul will have won a majority of delegates.

If super delegates can decide an election over the popular vote then we can to.

Scribbler de Stebbing
04-06-2008, 08:50 AM
As I've pointed out starting many months ago, the whole question is, at this point, moot since the official campaign didn't get us a majority in any states--much less the five minimum states (including DC and the territories) to get nominated in the first place.

Moot? Minnesota is working on sending a majority. We haven 't even elected half our delegates yet. (We have 8 for RP so far.) I suspect other caucus/convention states are doing the same.

Bradley in DC
04-06-2008, 09:00 AM
Moot? Minnesota is working on sending a majority. We haven 't even elected half our delegates yet. (We have 8 for RP so far.) I suspect other caucus/convention states are doing the same.

Yup. Hence, most. there are clearly some lovely and talented exceptions!

TruthAtLast
04-06-2008, 11:12 AM
keep in mind that though it is just their "rules" and you can break them if you want. It also means that it is THEIR rules on who the nominee will be. So they can choose to ignore your vote altogether. The Committee can do whatever they want. In FACT, they don't have to even nominate McCain, Paul, Romney, Huckabee or ANYONE else running. It would be nothing for them to simply pass an amendment and pull anyone off the street and say they were going to be the nominee.

Of course they might piss off a lot of people in their own party and jeopardize the legitimacy of their party, but that is really the only incentive NOT to just do whatever they want.

My point is that yes, they are just "rules" but it works both ways. It is amazing how the entire political structure in this country is held together by scotch tape. It works because everyone agrees it should. Power AND Law only work because the People acknowledge its authority. (not unlike our fiat currency... really it is just paper & ink. It has value because we say it does).

angelatc
04-06-2008, 11:51 AM
Robert's Rules of Orders allow the unbinding and changing of rules by a 2/3 vote.

Nice try, though. Keep your heads up and your wits about you. Detractors show up at the most critical times.

Robert's Rules only apply when no other rule exists.