PDA

View Full Version : Once I Become 18...

Michael Ingram
04-05-2008, 06:44 PM
What should I do in terms of local politics and organizations? Right now I am 16, so I won't be able to run as a delegate to the RNC until 2012, so what should I (or anyone under the age of 18) do once I become voting-age? Or what should I do now to prepare myself?

Thanks!

nate895
04-05-2008, 07:02 PM
I am running for state legislature, but I would say getting involved in local Republican politics would be good for most people.

Bradley in DC
04-05-2008, 07:12 PM
Get involved in your local party, volunteer, make a name for yourself. We've got a 19-year old working on the McKinley for Congress campaign with LOTS of experience and connections and drive. He's done a lot in his county (has even managed a race there!). I'm helping to bring him up to speed on a Congressional race.

He's doing great and is going to be one of the reasons Vern gets elected to Congress. If only we had a few more of him!

amy31416
04-05-2008, 07:13 PM
Keep your nose clean, study history, economics, how our gov't works--and for god's sake, NO hookers!

heartless
04-05-2008, 07:15 PM
NO hookers!

She's right you know :rolleyes:

Bradley in DC
04-05-2008, 07:16 PM
Keep your nose clean, study history, economics, how our gov't works--and for god's sake, NO hookers!

Amy, you're just priceless. :)

Michael Ingram
04-05-2008, 07:17 PM
Next year as a junior I am doubling up on history, taking AP US and AP US Gov't

This summer I am going to a Young America's Foundation National Leadership Conference (for conservative students) and then taking 3 weeks of US foreign policy in D.C.

Next summer I might be looking at getting an internship with a state rep. here in MA

Nathan Hale
04-05-2008, 08:26 PM
What should I do in terms of local politics and organizations? Right now I am 16, so I won't be able to run as a delegate to the RNC until 2012, so what should I (or anyone under the age of 18) do once I become voting-age? Or what should I do now to prepare myself?

Thanks!

Think on a ten year plan before you first run for office.

Before you turn 18, get involved in your local party and offer to help out with door-to-door campaigns or other gopher work. Most importantly, get to know the players.

When you turn 18, follow local or county politics. State or federal politics are too divorced from real life, best to follow at the local level. Get to know the issues. Get to know the legislators. Get to know the newspaper and media staff who cover the meetings. Try to get appointed to a few local boards or committees. Join a local charitable group. Be involved in your local GOP. And then, after establishing yourself politically in your community, run for local office.

Before your 30th birthday, you could have a term as a local legislator under your belt. This enables you to set your sites on a state of federal legislative race in which you will be a credible candidate.

Nathan Hale
04-05-2008, 08:27 PM
I am running for state legislature, but I would say getting involved in local Republican politics would be good for most people.

Didn't you say in another thread that you were in high school?

nate895
04-05-2008, 08:30 PM
Didn't you say in another thread that you were in high school?

The question was asked what he should do when he turns 18. I said what I was doing when I turn 18.

ItsTime
04-05-2008, 08:32 PM
QFT

Get involved in your local party, volunteer, make a name for yourself. We've got a 19-year old working on the McKinley for Congress campaign with LOTS of experience and connections and drive. He's done a lot in his county (has even managed a race there!). I'm helping to bring him up to speed on a Congressional race.

He's doing great and is going to be one of the reasons Vern gets elected to Congress. If only we had a few more of him!

The whole hooker thing will be sooooooooooo last year when he can run for office. Kinda like drugs and Obama..... Clinton set a path to using drugs is ok for presidents. Then we got Bush, then Obama admitting hard drug use.

nate895
04-05-2008, 08:35 PM
Think on a ten year plan before you first run for office.

Before you turn 18, get involved in your local party and offer to help out with door-to-door campaigns or other gopher work. Most importantly, get to know the players.

When you turn 18, follow local or county politics. State or federal politics are too divorced from real life, best to follow at the local level. Get to know the issues. Get to know the legislators. Get to know the newspaper and media staff who cover the meetings. Try to get appointed to a few local boards or committees. Join a local charitable group. Be involved in your local GOP. And then, after establishing yourself politically in your community, run for local office.

Before your 30th birthday, you could have a term as a local legislator under your belt. This enables you to set your sites on a state of federal legislative race in which you will be a credible candidate.

Except the vast majority of people who make it in politics start out as state government officials at least. Most local politicians will go nowhere fast because you have to start climbing so slow. If you're looking to get anywhere in politics you should get some money to finance your own campaign for US House, or start out in the State House and work up to US Senate or House.

The only reason I am running is because it sounded like fun. If I actually win I won't be there for more than two terms, then I'll leave this wretched state for somewhere I can actually see the sun and maybe later will I get into politics there.

brianewart
04-05-2008, 08:40 PM

EH...

1) Yes, Study History
2) Yes, Study Economics, if you can, at University of Chicago, George Mason, or San Jose State (best free-market/austrian departments in America, according to some)
3) Read: The Conscience of a Conservative, Atlas Shrugged, The Road to Serfdom, The Law (By Bastiat), Capitalism and Freedom (Milton Friedman), Plato's The Statesman dialogue. Don't go into politics until you have read and understood the last one.
4) Study Philosophy.
5) Keep your nose clean: but as for Hookers, it all depends on where you live and when you sleep with them. Jesse Ventura had sex with Hookers and got to be governor of Minnesota. Elliot Spitzer wasn't so lucky.

Nathan Hale
04-05-2008, 08:44 PM
Except the vast majority of people who make it in politics start out as state government officials at least. Most local politicians will go nowhere fast because you have to start climbing so slow.

You must be making this up, because it isn't true. MANY sitting Congressmen cut their teeth at the local or county level.

If you're looking to get anywhere in politics you should get some money to finance your own campaign for US House, or start out in the State House and work up to US Senate or House.

But in order to finance a large state or federal campaign, you need a network. Now you can produce a network in one of two ways: a) tons of money, or b) effort and experience. Most of us don't have access to a), and even a) isn't always a sure thing, especially if your way of thinking runs contrary to the "establishment" and you're coming out of nowhere with a lot of money and no friends. b) is the better bet. Build a network, from the ground up.

The only reason I am running is because it sounded like fun.

Nothing personal, but that's a dumb reason to run for office. If you want to have fun with politics, get involved in an experienced, qualified candidate's election, and learn the ropes.

If I actually win I won't be there for more than two terms, then I'll leave this wretched state for somewhere I can actually see the sun and maybe later will I get into politics there.

Calling your state "wretched", by the way, isn't going to help you win an office in your state.

brianewart
04-05-2008, 08:52 PM
Oh, and get a GOOD college education.

nate895
04-05-2008, 09:04 PM
You must be making this up, because it isn't true. MANY sitting Congressmen cut their teeth at the local or county level.

But in order to finance a large state or federal campaign, you need a network. Now you can produce a network in one of two ways: a) tons of money, or b) effort and experience. Most of us don't have access to a), and even a) isn't always a sure thing, especially if your way of thinking runs contrary to the "establishment" and you're coming out of nowhere with a lot of money and no friends. b) is the better bet. Build a network, from the ground up.

Nothing personal, but that's a dumb reason to run for office. If you want to have fun with politics, get involved in an experienced, qualified candidate's election, and learn the ropes.

Calling your state "wretched", by the way, isn't going to help you win an office in your state.

I meant anywhere beyond the US House. The last US President to have ever been elected mayor was James Garfield. The vast majority of those who are in the Senate now were either in the House or were state legislatures. In the House, most of those are people are there and there to stay, so if you want to be a Congressman, I suppose start out as a County Commissioner.

MS0453
04-06-2008, 03:02 PM
Something I've noticed in college is that the liberty/libertarian perspective is almost always missing from political conversations. I'm not one for speeches/debates, but I'll always speak my opinion to show people that government intervention isn't the only answer to any problem. It can be lonely and entertaining at the same time.

Conza88
04-06-2008, 08:08 PM
EH...

1) Yes, Study History
2) Yes, Study Economics, if you can, at University of Chicago, George Mason, or San Jose State (best free-market/austrian departments in America, according to some)
3) Read: The Conscience of a Conservative, Atlas Shrugged, The Road to Serfdom, The Law (By Bastiat), Capitalism and Freedom (Milton Friedman), Plato's The Statesman dialogue. Don't go into politics until you have read and understood the last one.
4) Study Philosophy.
5) Keep your nose clean: but as for Hookers, it all depends on where you live and when you sleep with them. Jesse Ventura had sex with Hookers and got to be governor of Minnesota. Elliot Spitzer wasn't so lucky.

Y-E-S. Yes!

All men who have turned out worth anything have had the chief hand in their own education.– Sir Walter Scott

Props for all those books. That last one, gets added onto my list. (Will purchase that one) - add any more if you can, (check sig). Thanks :D

MikeSmith
04-06-2008, 10:03 PM
NO hookers!

:(

porcupine
04-06-2008, 10:43 PM
http://bbs.freetalklive.com/index.php?topic=19951.msg367037#msg367037

Gadsden Flag
04-07-2008, 07:07 PM
There is really no end to the amount of volunteering you can do on a local level.

Just look up the meeting times for your local Republican, Constitution or Libertarian party (or any other organization which interests you) and go to a meeting. They are always looking for volunteers.

Even if you have some different opinions than the other people, just be courteous and they'll come to trust you and pretty soon they'll listen when you weigh in on the issues.

porcupine
04-07-2008, 07:28 PM
Here in New Hampshire, we had a guy get elected to the state house at 19 (he was the one who introduced the pot decrim bill that passed the house). We also had another guy who was 18 and almost won. If you run, you can win in New Hampshire. Come join us!

nate895
04-07-2008, 07:30 PM
Here in New Hampshire, we had a guy get elected to the state house at 19 (he was the one who introduced the pot decrim bill that passed the house). We also had another guy who was 18 and almost won. If you run, you can win in New Hampshire. Come join us!

No, I'm not moving there. I plan on staying in this state for a maximum of 6 years post High School Graduation, then I am moving down South. I'd suggest not focusing our efforts on one state, as it would be to the detriment of the movement overall.

amy31416
04-07-2008, 07:49 PM
:(

Don't worry Mike, there's plenty of "hookers" out there who aren't official. You can still pay to have sex, it'll just cost you more in jewelry, presents, dinner, etc. Those ones probably won't get you into trouble with the law. ;)

Conza88
04-07-2008, 07:57 PM
Don't worry Mike, there's plenty of "hookers" out there who aren't official. You can still pay to have sex, it'll just cost you more in jewelry, presents, dinner, etc. Those ones probably won't get you into trouble with the law. ;)

Have hookers dumped the dollar yet? :D

amy31416
04-07-2008, 08:04 PM
Have hookers dumped the dollar yet? :D

I have no idea, but if they're smart they will!

Nathan Hale
04-08-2008, 05:56 PM
No, I'm not moving there. I plan on staying in this state for a maximum of 6 years post High School Graduation, then I am moving down South. I'd suggest not focusing our efforts on one state, as it would be to the detriment of the movement overall.

Why is focusing on one state detrimental to the movement overall?