PDA

View Full Version : Darrell Issa, R-Calif. - Conservative Who Says Tax Payers Shouldn't Pay 9/11 Victims

TruthAtLast
04-04-2008, 04:25 PM
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/politics/20080403-1910-congressman-9-11comments.html

This guy has gotten nailed from both sides because he said that the Federal Government has already paid $7 billion to the victims of 9/11 and Tax Payers shouldn't be required to pay more.

This has spurred very heated debates on the Tax Payer's obligation for 9/11

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/politics/images/080404issa280.jpg
North County Rep. Darrell Issa: A spokesman said, “The congressman recognizes he could have chosen his words better at the hearing.” He did not issue an apology.

By Erica Werner
ASSOCIATED PRESS
7:10 p.m. April 3, 2008

WASHINGTON – A conservative Republican congressman says he supports helping victims of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks but did not offer an apology for remarks he made while questioning the need for federal compensation.

Following criticism from fellow lawmakers and others, Rep. Darrell Issa, R-Calif., issued a statement Wednesday insisting he would “continue to support federal assistance for the victims of the 9/11 terrorist attacks,” although he did not specify how that should be done. He opposed reopening a victims compensation fund that expired in 2003 after distributing about $7 billion.

On Thursday, after more negative reaction to his remarks, Issa's spokesman Frederick Hill said, “The congressman recognizes he could have chosen his words better at the hearing.”

During a joint hearing on Tuesday by two House Judiciary subcommittees considering legislation to extend benefits, Issa described the Sept. 11 attacks as “a fire that had no dirty bomb in it” and added: “It had no chemical munitions in it. It simply was an aircraft, residue of two aircraft and residue of the material used to build this building.”

He questioned “why the firefighters who went there and everyone in the city of New York needs to come to the federal government for the dollars versus, quite frankly, this being primarily a state consideration.”

Issa went on to say that he couldn't vote for additional money for New York “if I can't see why it would be appropriate to do this every single time a similar situation happens which, quite frankly, includes any urban terrorist. It doesn't have to be somebody from al-Qaeda. It can be somebody who decides they don't like animal testing at one of our pharmaceutical facilities.”

In opposing the legislation, Issa cited concerns about extending compensation to people who weren't physically injured and didn't work at Ground Zero. The bill would allow people who lived, worked or volunteered in the area to be compensated for psychological as well as physical problems.

His remarks immediately drew indignant responses from New York lawmakers at the hearing as well as from the witness he was questioning, Michael Cardozo, New York City's top lawyer.

“Congressman, this was I believe an attack on the United States of America. It was located at Ground Zero, but it was an attack on America,” Cardozo retorted.

Rep. Jerrold Nadler, D-N.Y., who chaired the hearing, said in an interview Thursday that Issa's statements were “extremely rude, extremely stupid, extremely insensitive, extremely unpatriotic – to put it mildly.”

Rep. Pete King, R-N.Y., said in a statement: “New York was attacked by al-Qaeda. It doesn't have to be attacked by Congress. I'm really surprised by Darrell Issa. It showed such a cavalier dismissal of what happened to New York. It's wrong and inexcusable.”

Jeremy
04-04-2008, 04:40 PM
I will never take a stance on either side of this, but I'll tell you what it's like (whether it's good or bad is not a view I am making)

I know somebody who has a family and was divorced to somebody who passed away on 9/11. They now own the biggest house I've ever been into and have various other luxuries that I only dream of. Once again, I am not saying if this is bad or good. I understand that the loss these people have experienced is priceless and it is nothing that has happened to me.

Omnis
04-04-2008, 04:57 PM
Taxpayers shouldn't be forced to pay 9/11 victims a thin dime. Any kind of aid money should come from charity and from the personal coffers of the bureaucrats and others who fucked up and allowed it to happen.

Kalifornia
04-04-2008, 05:03 PM
7Billion for 3000 victims is enough. I think we should compensate those who were injured or made ill during the rescue efforts though under existing workmans comp rules.

WarningSLO
04-04-2008, 05:03 PM
There is tragedy every single day in this country. Where does the government's responsibility to pay people off begin and end? What about life insurance? How are firefighters', police officers', and first responders' families usually compensated following an accident?

It's complicated, but I don't see how $7 billion of federal taxpayer money is the answer at all.

Kludge
04-06-2008, 12:42 AM
FINALLY! A libertarian Republican with balls in the news!

This should be organized by a charity to pay any monetary expenses the families' incurred. None such appears to have been organized, so apparently taxpayers don't wish for the money to be spent this way.

Money is a scarce resource.