PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul Presents "Power to The Jury" Video

RestoreTheRepublic
08-20-2007, 09:54 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRdse8zBzyI&NR=1

Ron comes in at about 3:20

This show talks about jury nullification, the power given to juries to overturn laws they feel aren't effective or simply bad.

I had no idea juries had this power, and apparently a lot of judges do not present this option to juries in order to hide this power from them. Is anyone familiar with this? This seems like a great tool for the people and nobody knows about it. Hell, Ron wasn't even familiar with it according to him!!

rockfree33
08-20-2007, 09:59 AM
Jury nullification was put in place so the people could overturn unjust laws. A little secrete is that if you even mention jury nullification while they are selecting a jury you will be asked to leave. The courts don't want the people to know that they have power over the judge.

LastoftheMohicans
08-20-2007, 10:27 AM
Here is a link to "An Essay on Trial by Jury" by the great 19th Century individualist anarchist, Lysander Spooner.

http://www.lysanderspooner.org/TrialByJury.htm

Here's a taste:

"SECTION I
For more than six hundred years --- that is, since Magna Carta, in 1215 --- there has been no clearer principle of English or American constitutional law, than that, in criminal cases, it is not only the right and duty of juries to judge what are the facts, what is the law, and what was the moral intent of the accused; but that it is also their right, and their primary and paramount duty, to judge of the justice of the law, and to hold all laws invalid, that are, in their opinion, unjust or oppressive, and all persons guiltless in violating, or resisting the execution of, such laws.

Unless such be the right and duty of jurors, it is plain that, instead of juries being a “palladium of liberty” --- a barrier against the tyranny and oppression of the government --- they are really mere tools in its hands, for carrying into execution any injustice and oppression it may desire to have executed.

But for their right to judge of the law, and the justice of the law, juries would be no protection to an accused person, even as to matters of fact; for, if the government can dictate to a jury any law whatever, in a criminal case, it can certainly dictate to them the laws of evidence. That is, it can dictate what evidence is admissible, and what inadmissible, and also what force or weight is to be given to the evidence admitted. And if the government can thus dictate to a jury the laws of evidence, it can not only make it necessary for them to convict on a partial exhibition of the evidence rightfully pertaining to the case, but it can even require them [*6] to convict on any evidence whatever that it pleases to offer them."

RestoreTheRepublic
08-20-2007, 10:45 AM
thanks for the information guys, if only more people knew about this :mad:

noxagol
08-20-2007, 10:58 AM
Shit, I knew about this since the time I knew what a jury was. It is common sense, especially if you watch movies like, "A Time to Kill" with Samuel L Jackon.

The jury is THE decider of guilt or innocence, not the law. Even when instructed that you MUST find guilty if evidence supports it and you do not have the constitutional right to do so in your state, who is the final judge on whether or not the evidence supports a conviction? THE FUCKING JURY IS!

Basically whatever the jury says goes.

risiusj
08-20-2007, 11:10 AM
Thank you so much for bringing this to my attention. I actually hadn't heard about this.

nullvalu
08-20-2007, 11:45 AM
me either! my god, what little we really know about our own government.. :(

lucius
08-20-2007, 11:54 AM
Thank you so much for this link! I am capturing all three right now, and later compiling a Dr. Paul DVD targeting Christians and this is just perfect content!

lucius
08-20-2007, 12:00 PM
"I learn something new and admirable about Ron Paul every day!

There is no way you could say that about any other candidate out there."

noxagol
08-20-2007, 12:32 PM
"I learn something new and admirable about Ron Paul every day!

There is no way you could say that about any other candidate out there."

No, you can say the opposite though. Everyday you research another candidate is something BAD and SHAMEFUL about them.

Paul4Prez
08-20-2007, 10:31 PM
For a lot more on this topic, see the Fully Informed Jury Association (http://www.fija.org/) website at FIJA.org.