PDA

View Full Version : McCain Lobbyied for EADS

INforRP
04-04-2008, 02:01 PM
I have read little bits about this before, but had not seen any details. I looked but didn't see this posted here yet:

http://www.courant.com/news/opinion/editorials/hc-olsen0404.artapr04,0,3081623.story
Tanker Deal, McCain Betray U.S. Workers

...But instead of competing on a level playing field, EADS underwrote its proposal using billions in no-risk development loans from the European Union, which the United States Trade Representative has condemned as illegal subsidies. These subsidies have directly contributed to the erosion of tens of thousands of good U.S. manufacturing jobs.

The original "request for proposals" included a provision that would have discounted these subsidies, ensuring a fair playing field.

But just as the bid request was being finished, Sen. John McCain sent letters to Deputy Secretary of Defense Gordon England and soon-to-be Secretary of Defense Robert Gates; Sen. McCain asked these defense officials to eliminate the anti-subsidies provision, as well as weaken rules that would prevent EADS from selling technologies developed on the tanker aircraft (like anti-missile systems) to enemy states such as North Korea or Iran. McCain even recommended that the Air Force revise its own evaluation criteria in a way that would give higher scores to larger aircraft like EADS' KC-30 design.

The Defense Department made McCain's requested changes, effectively handing EADS an unfair advantage. Sen. McCain has recently been beset by controversy over his prominent role in giving the contract to the French manufacturer, as two of his senior political aides did stints as paid lobbyists for EADS.

acptulsa
04-04-2008, 02:18 PM
Crooked bastard. This one deserves a prominent place in our arguments that the emperor has no clothes.

unklejman
04-04-2008, 03:32 PM
EADS is just a sub contractor of Northrop Grumman in this deal. Many jobs will be made in the US, including a new factory right here where I live.

ChooseLiberty
04-04-2008, 05:11 PM
Look up McPain's role in the S&L scandal in Arizona.

Might as well just pull a white collar felon out of any of the federal country club prisons and make them the Repub candidate. Same thing.

unklejman
04-08-2008, 07:32 AM
I understand the want to use this against McCain, but really, if it gets taken away from Northrop Grumman, there are a lot of people here who have jobs lined up that will disappear. People in Mobile really need the jobs. Also, Boeings monopoly in the large military plane niche will continue. I for one welcome the competition.