PDA

View Full Version : A Serious Question

LibertyIn08
04-04-2008, 11:41 AM
If McCain, for some reason or another, was to pull out of the race, why would Paul be the nominee? I just am not sure of the facts or theories behind such a line of reasoning.

Join The Paul Side
04-04-2008, 11:42 AM
It's all about the delegates, baby! :D

crazyfingers
04-04-2008, 11:43 AM
He wouldn't. Romney or Huckabee, or some other establishment tool, would re-emerge to "save" the party.

acptulsa
04-04-2008, 11:45 AM
After a couple of rounds of voting, no delegates but Paul's would be bound. Lord knows what the neocons would do then. No doubt they'd try to rally the troops behind someone, possibly Romney. It would be wild, for certain.

LibertyIn08
04-04-2008, 11:45 AM
He wouldn't. Romney or Huckabee, or some other establishment tool, would re-emerge to "save" the party.

Which is exactly why I am confused as to why people such as Steve Parent are telling people we can secure the nomination.

Too many loophole primaries or non-convention states for that to occur.

Lovecraftian4Paul
04-04-2008, 11:48 AM
Yeah, Romney would probably step back in and take the nomination. There's no scenario short of a depression and McCain withdrawal from the race that would lead them to pick Ron Paul. The neo-con establishment has numerous firewalls in place to prevent it, and sadly, too many of the non-RP delegates would never be swayed because Paul's anti-war position is a deal killer. They, like most Republicans, still believe in continuing the murderous waste of a war.

Sandra
04-04-2008, 11:50 AM
Once a candidate drops out of a race, they lose their support. it's hard to regain that if they re emerge as a fair weather candidate.

acptulsa
04-04-2008, 11:53 AM
Once a candidate drops out of a race, they lose their support. it's hard to regain that if they re emerge as a fair weather candidate.

Very, very true. I stand by my assertion that it would be wild.

P.S. And I think we'd have a better chance than some do. Not everyone in the G.O.P. is as enamored with what these neocons are doing to the party as you might think. Get involved and you'll find that out.

LibertyIn08
04-04-2008, 01:22 PM
Very, very true. I stand by my assertion that it would be wild.

P.S. And I think we'd have a better chance than some do. Not everyone in the G.O.P. is as enamored with what these neocons are doing to the party as you might think. Get involved and you'll find that out.

You're somehow insinuating I'm not involved. ;)

I've worked in the local republican party for the better part of 5 years. I understand we face an uphill battle, but I think our resolution work and congressional candidates, are, at this point, equal or tantamount to the nomination of Ron Paul as president.

However, I believe the dynamics of the Republican primary system to be ill-suited to an easy road to a win in St. Paul; however, with the lessons learned thus far this cycle, we can be better prepared for St. Paul as well as future conventions.

acptulsa
04-04-2008, 01:27 PM
You're somehow insinuating I'm not involved. ;)

I didn't aim that at you. I don't think I aimed it at all, but chucked it out as a general challenge to stick where it may.

pepperpete1
04-04-2008, 04:55 PM
Here is what I could find in the national GOP rules about if the nominated candidate were to be removed by death or....

RULE NO. 9
Filling Vacancies in Nominations
(a) The Republican National Committee is hereby authorized and empowered to fill any and all vacancies which may occur by reason of death, declination, or otherwise of the Republican candidate for President of the United States or the Republican candidate for Vice President of the United States, as nominated by the national convention, or the Republican National Committee may reconvene the national convention for the purpose of filling any such vacancies.

(b) In voting under this rule, the Republican National Committee members representing any state shall be entitled to cast the same number of votes as said state was entitled to cast at the national convention.

(c) In the event that the members of the Republican National Committee from any state shall not be in agreement in the casting of votes hereunder, the votes of such state shall be divided equally, including fractional votes among the members of the Republican National Committee present or voting by proxy.

(d) No candidate shall be chosen to fill any such vacancy except upon receiving a majority of the votes entitled to be cast in the election.