PDA

View Full Version : Let's all buy Ron Paul futures

Mastiff
08-20-2007, 09:20 AM
I can't link directly, but go here:

http://www.intrade.com/

and find the contract for "Ron Paul wins GOP nomination". It's around $5 per contract that pays $100 if it happens (meaning, the "market" thinks he has a 5% chance). It'd be cool if a bunch of us drove the price up by springing for maybe $10-$20 each for 2-4 contracts. :D

Then again, maybe it's a waste and we should just donate to the campaign.

Dustancostine
08-20-2007, 09:26 AM
Then again, maybe it's a waste and we should just donate to the campaign.

Yep

bc2208
08-20-2007, 09:27 AM
Soros did this - leading up to the 04 election he sold off tons of Bush stock, which fell from 50 points to <15, everyone went nuts until they realized it was a stunt. Good buyin opportunity for those who didn't think Bush pulled a Dean.

I am invested in RP on that site. You're actually wrong on the numbers. Each contract expires at $10, thus a point is actually a dime not a dollar. This allows more volume.

Got in at a cost avg of 27 cents...happy to see it hit 55 cents last week. If I allow it to expire and RP wins, I'm looking at about $20 profit. Of course, I invested because I want him to win, not vice-versa.

Best part is you can day trade this - it's not a straight up bet. Drawback is you need to send funds to Dublin, $30 fee for transfers <500.

bc2208
08-20-2007, 09:29 AM
Yep

I plan on selling off to lock in profits as he rises. If that happens, I will donate as I go along. I'd feel terrible making money off his and our work and not contributing back.

Plus, the contract that is hot right now is the Rep Nomination, not the General Election, so after I cash out I could donate a lump then.

Dustancostine
08-20-2007, 09:39 AM
If your doing it to make money go for it and don't feel bad. Play the other candidates as well. But if your doing it just for the satisfaction of seeing RP numbers being artificially inflated then don't waste your time. Remember the market always corrects itself.

--Dustan

bc2208
08-20-2007, 09:47 AM
As it did already - he got attention after Iowa and subsequently dropped. I still think he is undervalued at 25-1.

Interestingly, there's no contract for him to win the General election, and in a week where he gained 60%, they didn't mention him on their bulletin.