PDA

View Full Version : Discussing Campaign Reform, McCain breaking the rules...

mcgraw_wv
04-04-2008, 07:58 AM
Hey guys, let's use our combined talent to uncover the truth about what McCain will face by breaking the rules...

The McCain-Fielgold act is here - :http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=107_cong_public_laws&docid=f:publ155.107

I found this interesting...

SEC. 312. INCREASE IN PENALTIES.

(a) In General.--Subparagraph (A) of section 309(d)(1) of the
Federal Election Campaign Act of 1971 (2 U.S.C. 437g(d)(1)(A)) is
amended to read as follows:
``(A) Any person who knowingly and willfully commits a violation of
any provision of this Act which involves the making, receiving, or
reporting of any contribution, donation, or expenditure--
``(i) aggregating $25,000 or more during a calendar year
shall be fined under title 18, United States Code, or imprisoned
for not more than 5 years, or both; or
``(ii) aggregating $2,000 or more (but less than $25,000)
during a calendar year shall be fined under such title, or
imprisoned for not more than 1 year, or both.''.

(b) Effective <<NOTE: 2 USC 437g note.>> Date.--The amendment made
by this section shall apply to violations occurring on or after the
effective date of this Act.

Bloggers uncover the truth all the time, it's time we stop just complaining, and dig into this story... We need facts to back up our claims, then we hit the Media with our evidence. We must have the evidence for the Media to run with...

Kilrain
04-04-2008, 08:16 AM
You just know that this will be made into an issue by the Dems before the general election...but for right now, no one wants to rock the boat. It really makes me want to vomit when someone champions legislation and then proceeds to violate the rules. But then again, that's what most politicians do. "Do as I say, not as I do" FTW... :mad:

pepperpete1
04-04-2008, 08:32 AM
[QUOTE=

Bloggers uncover the truth all the time, it's time we stop just complaining, and dig into this story... We need facts to back up our claims, then we hit the Media with our evidence. We must have the evidence for the Media to run with...[/QUOTE]

The DNC has already filed a complaint with the FEC, as reported by the media.
People either do not care or are not paying attention.

What more, besides filing our own complaints can we do?

acptulsa
04-04-2008, 08:42 AM
The DNC has already filed a complaint with the FEC, as reported by the media.
People either do not care or are not paying attention.

What more, besides filing our own complaints can we do?

Interesting question. If this were a state law, we'd turn to a district attorney. We need more than the amended penalties section of the bill to know. Can anyone besides the FEC enforce this? If so, we have a way around the president and his refusal to appoint FEC commissioners. A federal grand jury indictment would be great fun...

mcgraw_wv
04-04-2008, 10:42 AM
Well that is what I want to find out, I can't find where it says locally, or federally what the penalties of breaking these laws are...

I'm fairly confident McCain will not be going to jail... and this will not happen to him... so we need something that states he may lose delegates or is invalid from running or something...