PDA

View Full Version : 22,000 Students Are Trying to Make Guns Legal on Campus

Doktor_Jeep
04-03-2008, 11:36 PM
You youngsters really impress me. My generation would have, in response to VT, pissed it's collective pants and banned guns forever.

Lead
http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/020365.html

Main
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=88552637

Students Make a Case for Carrying Guns to School
Listen Now [7 min 44 sec] add to playlist

Mario Tama

The Bryant Park Project, March 19, 2008 · After deadly shootings at schools in Illinois and Virginia, 12 states are considering legislation to allow guns on college campuses. Stephen Feltoon, a director for Students for Concealed Carry on Campus (SCCC), is part of a movement that says college students should have the same gun ownership rights as others.

Feltoon says he purchased his first gun for recreation. "Now I own it for defense," he says. "I can take a firearm anywhere that's not a college campus, a liquor establishment, or any business that posts a 'no gun' sign. When am I carrying it? That's the beauty of conceal and carry. You'll never know until I need it."

He says SCCC started a day after the Virginia Tech shootings and that when he first learned of the group, he signed on immediately. "I believed that my right to self-defense was being infringed on college campuses," he says. "College campuses are vulnerable and I didn't want to be defenseless."

Feltoon says Virginia Tech is home to the SCCC's largest group of conceal and carry advocates. As for the SCCC's total enrollment, Feltoon says it has doubled in the last month, bringing the total to 22,000 members just one year after its founding.

"The Illinois shooting made people realize college campuses aren't as safe as administrators would have them believe," Feltoon says, explaining the recent jump in members.

Feltoon says the group's core mission is simple: "We're pushing universities to allow law-abiding citizen to carry guns on college campuses, just as you would into malls and movie theaters."

Feltoon says most SCCC members are men and women over 21 years old who already have licenses to carry a gun. "We're just asking for them to carry guns to one more location," he says.

Beginning on April 21, Feltoon says, 3,000 SCCC members have pledged to visit college campuses wearing an empty holster to indicate that, because of state or school policy, when they reach campus, they're obliged — for now — to leave their guns behind.

Dave39168
04-04-2008, 09:40 PM
Nice. If i wore an empty holster on 4-21 I'd probably be kicked out of school. I can't even carry my pocket knife to class :(

porcupine
04-05-2008, 05:32 PM
Nice. If i wore an empty holster on 4-21 I'd probably be kicked out of school. I can't even carry my pocket knife to class :(

Are you in high school? If not, you should be fine

boggie08
04-08-2008, 02:40 PM
I plan to join this group when I go to college.

Kotin
04-08-2008, 02:44 PM
I plan to join this group when I go to college.

i will this next year for sure.

Dave39168
04-08-2008, 05:16 PM
Are you in high school? If not, you should be fine

I am a college student at University of Southern Mississippi. I have not actually researched the official policies at USM, but my roomate, who is a law enforcement officer told me that carrying an empty holster would be seen as trying to look like i had a gun and would not be allowed. I think at best I would be asked to remove the holster from my belt, and at worst I would be kicked out of school. As I said i haven't actually researched their policies or the legal issues of it, I don't have the time right now school keeps me very busy. I'm busting my butt to pass my classes right now i'd hate to do something to stir the waters right now.

Nirvikalpa
04-08-2008, 05:38 PM
I'm wearing my SCCC shirt the day of the protest :)
And from what I know, at least 10 people on my campus are too.

maeqFREEDOMfree
04-09-2008, 10:20 AM
great post Dok, how encouraging