PDA

View Full Version : Car Wash Info Need PLEASE HELP

rdenner
08-20-2007, 08:45 AM
I am the meetup coordinator in NW Ohio. We had a meeting yestday and discussed the idea of a Car Wash/Sign Waving event.

The question was raised about the legalities of raising money that way. We as Ron Paul supporters are spending our own money to either send money directly to ronpaul2008.com, or are spending money on signs, banners etc.

We were thinking about soliciting donation through a Car Wash/Bake Sale, whatever to help defray the cost we all have to bear, to get signs and all the other things we need.

Can anyone tell me if they have done this yet, and the legalities of doing such a thing.

We were planning on having someone just open a 2nd Savings account under their personal name and just park the money there until we need it.

We are trying to keep this as simple as possible. We don't want to form a PAC or anything official if we can help it....

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.. Thanks. Also a link to your supporting evidence that you are right would also be appreciated.

Robert :)

Slugg
08-20-2007, 10:38 AM
I am the meetup coordinator in NW Ohio. We had a meeting yestday and discussed the idea of a Car Wash/Sign Waving event.

The question was raised about the legalities of raising money that way. We as Ron Paul supporters are spending our own money to either send money directly to ronpaul2008.com, or are spending money on signs, banners etc.

We were thinking about soliciting donation through a Car Wash/Bake Sale, whatever to help defray the cost we all have to bear, to get signs and all the other things we need.

Can anyone tell me if they have done this yet, and the legalities of doing such a thing.

We were planning on having someone just open a 2nd Savings account under their personal name and just park the money there until we need it.

We are trying to keep this as simple as possible. We don't want to form a PAC or anything official if we can help it....

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.. Thanks. Also a link to your supporting evidence that you are right would also be appreciated.

Robert :)

Seeing as your question is of a legal nature, I'm not sure many people will want (or know how) to answer it.

I am NOT NOT NOT a lawyer, however, on the Ron Paul site there is a section dedicated to restrictions on grassroots campaigning.

Let's be clear, no one is going to go after YOU for making a mistake; they'll go after Ron's campaign. That said, we should tread carefully (as you're doing). Here's how I interpret the pages on grassroots campaigning. You have two categories, donating directly to the campaign; or donating directly to the group:

DONATING TO THE CAMPAIGN:
I believe what you suggest is possible, but you cannot CHARGE. You can only accept donations. These donations will have to have a donation card associated with them. Here is a quote from their website:

Each individual who contributes must fill out a contribution card. These cards are available from Ron Paul 2008 and should be ordered or downloaded & printed prior to your event. This form will keep you compliant with contribution regulations as the card’s completion will satisfy the collection of employer/occupation information and additional information as required by Federal law. Individuals may donate via check, money order, credit card, or cash. Cash contributions, however, must be accompanied by a contribution card and be attributed to the individual donor. For this reason, “pass-the-hat” contribution systems should not be utilized. Moreover, no anonymous cash contributions are allowed and you may not accept more than $100 in cash from any individual. Cash contributions may also not be bundled.

The contribution card/form is here: https://www.ronpaul2008.com/files/RP2008-Reply-form.pdf

DONATING TO YOUR GROUP:
I am not sure if there are many regulations on this assuming your standard donation is less than $100. If you are doing a car wash / bake sale....i think you can take donations with out filling out a donation card if you don't donate that money directly to the campaign (use it to make more signs, rent halls, buy newspaper ads...etc).....if you start getting too much money; you WILL Need a PAC. Talk to some of the others around here about PACS.

MY ADVICE:

Throw a house party (this is what my father is doing):

Step 1) Get a projector to shoot an image on the side of your house. My father is an audio video engineer, he has tons of them. You may not have one; so look in your phone book for Audio Video Rental places. Call them all and find out which one's have Projectors for rent. THEN, contact the owner and set up a meeting. Your goal here is to 'convert' him. If you can successfully convert one of these guys (or just convert someone with a projector) you have your projector. With a little effort and creativity, it won't be all that hard...just labor intensive.

Step 2)Get chips and soda.
Step 3) Find a nice place to hold the event.
Step 4) Invite everyone in a two block radius (this is about 250 houses, if only 10% show up...you got a 25 strong crowd...not bad)
Step 5) Play Ron Paul video's during the entire event....offer free car washes, free beverages, comfortable place to sit (in front of the projector), make sure your most social people are at the event, chit-chatting and keeping people interested.
Step 6) Ask for any donations or volunteers.

You can offer free food and beverages (even a car wash?) to those who come and watch a few Ron Paul videos. You can then ask them to donate directly to the campaign using the forms. Or, you can accept donations to your group (that you will not donate to the campaign).

It sounds like alot, but I've seen our meetup group leader do this at his place (he showed Freedom to Fascism) and it appears to work well.

My father is setting this same thing up at his place. If you can get even 2 or 3 motivated people into your group plus another 10-15 not-so-motivated people who like Ron Paul; your event was a HUGE success.

Remember, the fist time you do this will be the hardest; each time you do it after that will be more and more easy (and more and more successful).

Here's the rules on a house party:
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/get-involved/grass-roots-member-hosted-events-house-parties/

I hope this helps.

DjLoTi
08-20-2007, 11:35 AM
If you make money, that's your money.