PDA

View Full Version : Election reform?

I Am Weasel
04-03-2008, 01:04 PM
I'm wondering what it would take to get some type of movement started to change the election process for President? 2008 has been a complete circus and we are the laughing stock of the world. I have yet to figure out who determines what a "Mainstream Candidate" is, and how certain people can run like Ron Paul with a lifetime of experience and be shunned, or somebody like Oslama who has very little experience and instantly proclaimed to be "Mainstream". What gives? What needs to be done to get the media OUT and from stopping this continuous bullshit of telling the American public who can or can't win? There are polls all over the place, should the polls be banned till election day? What purpose do they serve but to further throw fuel on the fire of the media? Why can't there be debates and people left to judge for themselves who won? After all, the media has proven that polls don't matter, because it's up to THEM who will win the election. And that just has corruption written all over it. Thoughts????

Mahkato
04-03-2008, 01:18 PM
One of the biggest things working against Paul was the fact that he had helped to deregulate the media. In my understanding, they used to be required to give equal time to all of the candidates. I do not think that the media should be regulated by the government in any fashion, but I also do not think that the media should be able to "regulate" the government.

U.S. power structure:

1) Central bankers
2) Media
3) Elected officials

TruthAtLast
04-03-2008, 04:08 PM
Brazil has about 26 parties though not all have presidential candidates. Every candidate has equal time and has a chance to speak. For a period of a couple weeks there are many debates that everyone has a chance to see. Then everyone votes at once. I guess each party could possibly have their own primaries to determine their candidate if they wanted, but with so many parties having equal opportunity, and with so many parties electing members to their Congress, it makes it virtually impossible for one party to gain all of the power. They end up having to work together. The Media is required to air these debates and the questions/invites are not controlled by the Media either. It isn't perfect of course but I like that everyone has a chance to speak and be heard and the PEOPLE get to determine who is viable and who isn't.

Italy has the largest voter turnout in the world at 92.5% and is made up of Party Coalitions where smaller Movements and groups band together under a single banner. This would appear to be the best bet for a true third party to emerge in the U.S. The problem is that we are often so picky of every little thing that few of the smaller parties like or endorse each other. :D