PDA

View Full Version : More Excerpts From Dr. Paul's The Revolution: A Manifesto

NightOwl
04-02-2008, 08:10 PM
From an article that runs online tomorrow, but which I got a look at a little early:

From The Revolution: A Manifesto, Ron Paul's book that will be in stores next week (yes, well before April 30):

On blowback:

"The question [CIA bin Laden expert Michael] Scheuer and I are asking is not who is morally responsible for terrorism – only a fool would place the moral responsibility for terrorism on anyone other than the terrorists themselves. The question we are asking is less doltish and more serious: given that a hyper-interventionist foreign policy is very likely to lead to this kind of blowback, are we still sure we want such a foreign policy?… I have [n]ever said or believed that Americans had it coming on 9/11, or that the attacks were justified, or any of this other nonsense. The point is a simple one: when our government meddles around the world, it can stir up hornets' nests and thereby jeopardize the safety of the American people. That's just common sense. But hardly anyone in our government dares to level with the American people about our fiasco of a foreign policy."

On the idea of a "living" Constitution:

"A 'living' Constitution is just the thing any government would be delighted to have, for whenever the people complain that their Constitution has been violated, the government can trot out its judges to inform the people that they've simply misunderstood: the Constitution, you see, has merely evolved with the times. Thus, as in Orwell's Animal Farm, 'no animal shall sleep in a bed' becomes 'no animal shall sleep in a bed with sheets,' 'no animal shall drink alcohol' becomes 'no animal shall drink alcohol to excess,' and 'no animal shall kill any other animal' becomes 'no animal shall kill any other animal without cause.'"

On civil liberties:

"We have allowed the president to abduct an American citizen on American soil, declare him an 'enemy combatant' (a charge the accused has no power to contest, which is rendered by the president in secret and is unreviewable), detain him indefinitely, deny him legal counsel, and subject him to inhumane treatment.... Have we been so blinded by propaganda that we have forgotten basic American principles, and legal guarantees that extend back to our British forbears eight centuries ago?... Claims that these powers will be exercised only against the bad guys are not worth listening to."

On propaganda:

"Toward the end of 2007, Senator Jeff Sessions declared, 'Some people in this chamber love the Constitution more than they love the safety of this nation. We should all send President Bush a letter thanking him for protecting us.' What kind of sheep must politicians take Americans for if they expect them to fall for creepy propaganda like this?"

On neoconservatives:

"Every last prediction they made about the Iraq debacle – e.g., it would be a cakewalk, the cost would be paid by oil revenues, the prospect of sectarian fighting was slim – has been resolutely falsified by events, and yet they continue to grace the pages of major American newspapers and appear regularly on cable television talk shows. Instead of being disgraced, as common sense might lead us to expect, they continue to be exalted for a wisdom they obviously do not possess. I am reminded of George Orwell’s reference to 'the streamlined men who think in slogans and talk in bullets.'"

On our foreign-policy debate:

"The possibility that we should avoid bleeding ourselves dry in endless foreign meddling is not raised. For heaven's sake, what kind of debate is it in which all sides agree that America needs troops in 130 countries?"

On Iraq:

"The leadership of al Qaeda hoped to lure us into a 'desert Vietnam,' an enormously expensive war that would deplete our resources and help their own recruitment by stirring up the locals against us. And that is just what happened. The war's ultimate cost is being estimated in the trillions. The dollar is collapsing. And more terrorists are being created. According to a study by the Global Research in International Affairs Center in Herzliya, Israel, the vast bulk of the foreign fighters in Iraq are people who had never been involved in terrorist activity before but have been radicalized by the U.S. presence in Iraq – the second-holiest place in Islam.

"The terrorists, in short, have played us like a fiddle."

On the Federal Reserve:

"Even if the Fed chairman really possessed the singular genius our media and politicians regularly ascribe to him, what if things have reached a point at which the Fed simply cannot stop the collapse? What if economic law, which the Fed can no more defy than it can repeal the law of gravity, is about to hit the Fed and the American people like a tidal wave, before which little rate cuts here and there are like the tiny umbrella Wile E. Coyote puts over his head to protect himself from falling boulders?"

bucfish
04-02-2008, 08:16 PM
I cannot wait

DeadtoSin
04-02-2008, 08:26 PM
NightOwl, I'm not doubting you, but where did you hear that the book would be out early?

NightOwl
04-02-2008, 09:51 PM
I actually called the publisher. (Yes, I'm really that dorky and anxious to see the book.) They said the book would be in stores well ahead of the official publication date. And just last week, Lew Rockwell posted on his blog that he was holding a copy in his hands. So I think it's days away.

Libertytree
04-02-2008, 09:58 PM
Excellent!!! Thanks

TER
04-02-2008, 10:02 PM
I cannot wait

+1

wgadget
04-02-2008, 10:12 PM
Will I still have to wait for my Amazon order?

0zzy
04-02-2008, 10:43 PM
Hrm, I might have to buy it in stores for a higher price if it is not on Amazon.com soon enough.

NightOwl
04-02-2008, 10:45 PM
Amazon will start shipping next week as well.

slacker921
04-02-2008, 10:51 PM
Ron Paul's new book is currently #226 on the Amazon list.. and Jesse Ventura's (which is in stock..) is #52..

dannno
04-02-2008, 10:53 PM
On propaganda:

"Toward the end of 2007, Senator Jeff Sessions declared, 'Some people in this chamber love the Constitution more than they love the safety of this nation. We should all send President Bush a letter thanking him for protecting us.' What kind of sheep must politicians take Americans for if they expect them to fall for creepy propaganda like this?"

AHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA!!!

He's so funny!

:D

amonasro
04-02-2008, 10:59 PM
On the Federal Reserve:

"Even if the Fed chairman really possessed the singular genius our media and politicians regularly ascribe to him, what if things have reached a point at which the Fed simply cannot stop the collapse? What if economic law, which the Fed can no more defy than it can repeal the law of gravity, is about to hit the Fed and the American people like a tidal wave, before which little rate cuts here and there are like the tiny umbrella Wile E. Coyote puts over his head to protect himself from falling boulders?"

Oh Ron, why couldn't you be this funny during the debates... :)

runningdiz
04-02-2008, 11:27 PM
This makes sense it says he will be having a book signing on the 14th.
http://www.goucher.edu/x23838.xml

Red Dingo
04-03-2008, 01:40 AM
He is one of a kind, and as much as he supports the individual rights of people of all religions and all sexual persuasions and all lifestyle choices, I'm damn proud he's a Christian, BECAUSE, he puts to shame the false Christians who have tried to get in bed with the Government to get their 'Christian' agenda pushed forward. I would have been enthusiastic with his policies for sure, if he wasn't a Christian, but again, it makes me proud to have someone not disgrace the faith they profess to believe in. He is humility.

Join The Paul Side
04-03-2008, 01:51 AM
Freeeeeeeeeeeedom! :)

G-Wohl
04-03-2008, 02:42 AM
He is one of a kind, and as much as he supports the individual rights of people of all religions and all sexual persuasions and all lifestyle choices, I'm damn proud he's a Christian, BECAUSE, he puts to shame the false Christians who have tried to get in bed with the Government to get their 'Christian' agenda pushed forward. I would have been enthusiastic with his policies for sure, if he wasn't a Christian, but again, it makes me proud to have someone not disgrace the faith they profess to believe in. He is humility.

His Christianity has nothing to do with it. He would be a good person with or without his religion, and you know that.

grayangel
04-03-2008, 02:43 AM
I believe the article to which Night Owl was referring can be found at the following link (my best guess as it was just posted after midnight) and the review has me practically salivating for my copy. Yes, I am that nerdy, too -- I've been counting down the days! And to find out that it will indeed arrive sooner than expected is a VERY pleasant surprise.

"The Ron Paul Moment Has Only Begun" By Thomas E. Woods, Jr.
http://www.lewrockwell.com/woods/woods87.html

The beginning of the review:

Whatever your expectations for Ron Paul’s book The Revolution: A Manifesto, I can say with confidence that they have been exceeded. By a mile.

Ron Paul has produced the kind of book that changes the person who reads it. It is one of the most persuasively argued and beautifully written defenses of the free society I have ever encountered. No president, no presidential candidate, indeed no American politician has ever written anything like this. But that is such faint praise, and such an unjust understatement, that I almost regret uttering it.

When was the last time you read a book review like THAT?! I'm stoked.

dirknb@hotmail.com
04-03-2008, 07:05 AM
We need to somehow get a copy of it to every person who is going to be a delegate at the national convention.

NightOwl
04-03-2008, 07:14 AM
His Christianity has nothing to do with it. He would be a good person with or without his religion, and you know that.

You're misreading what the poster said. Look at it again. He doesn't say Dr. Paul's Christianity makes him a good guy. Is that really how you took this? He says he's glad Dr. Paul is a Christian, because such a man of peace can thereby show up all the phony Christians who clamor for war all the time.

Who can disagree with that?

jason43
04-03-2008, 07:17 AM
We need to somehow get a copy of it to every person who is going to be a delegate at the national convention.

THAT is a good idea. We should start a fund and hand them out to people who would be willing to actually read them.

dirknb@hotmail.com
04-03-2008, 07:23 AM
Ron Paul's new book is currently #226 on the Amazon list.. and Jesse Ventura's (which is in stock..) is #52..

Today it's at #178.

dirknb@hotmail.com
04-03-2008, 07:28 AM
THAT is a good idea. We should start a fund and hand them out to people who would be willing to actually read them.

If we could identify those people and get them this book well in advance, just think of the possible effect it could have.

A Ron Paul Rebel
04-03-2008, 07:35 AM
If we could identify those people and get them this book well in advance, just think of the possible effect it could have.

To ALL delegates... or at least the non-RP ones! :cool:

-lotus-
04-03-2008, 09:51 AM
i was just at borders and they said they could have it in a week. cant wait!

WarningSLO
04-03-2008, 10:38 AM
If it's coming out that soon, shouldn't Dr. Paul be doing some promotions for it? You know: Daily Show, Colbert, Late Night, News Shows, etc...

dirknb@hotmail.com
04-03-2008, 10:45 AM
To ALL delegates... or at least the non-RP ones! :cool:

Exactly. We could coordinate with the Meetups to weed Ron Paul people off the list to keep the cost down.

It's at #92 now.

NightOwl
04-03-2008, 10:46 AM
Yes, the publisher will book him on major media, but starting on April 30, the official publication date.

Bruno
04-03-2008, 04:44 PM
If it's coming out that soon, shouldn't Dr. Paul be doing some promotions for it? You know: Daily Show, Colbert, Late Night, News Shows, etc...

+1

Ventura has a full slate of promos lined up, hitting all the shows. Hopefully Paul does as well!

dirknb@hotmail.com
04-03-2008, 05:06 PM
At #33 now.

SeanEdwards
04-03-2008, 05:33 PM
I pre-ordered my copy like a month ago.

Now, I just need to figure out how to get the author's signature on my copy. :D

DeadtoSin
04-03-2008, 05:44 PM
You're misreading what the poster said. Look at it again. He doesn't say Dr. Paul's Christianity makes him a good guy. Is that really how you took this? He says he's glad Dr. Paul is a Christian, because such a man of peace can thereby show up all the phony Christians who clamor for war all the time.

Who can disagree with that?

Don't try to appeal to Mr. Wohl with logic, he acts like a rabid anti-Christian poster from what I've seen. When you do that, it makes his head explode.

grayangel
04-03-2008, 09:46 PM
I pre-ordered my copy like a month ago.

Now, I just need to figure out how to get the author's signature on my copy. :D

Amen to that. I have yet to meet Dr. Paul. I'm sure I'd be starstruck. :p