PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have luck finding 90% silver these days?

Allen72289
04-02-2008, 07:39 PM
Any of you guys sort rolls of quarters, dimes and nickels for silver?

I found a 1964 quarter in my change the other day and it's got me wondering.

buffalokid777
04-02-2008, 07:58 PM
Any of you guys sort rolls of quarters, dimes and nickels for silver?

I found a 1964 quarter in my change the other day and it's got me wondering.

I'm lucky if I find 1 or 2 per year......the last one was about a year ago....a mercury dime....although one of my friends who works as a cashier has found some here and there......

Allen72289
04-02-2008, 08:01 PM
Ask your cashier friend to keep record, please.

Would be neat to see the average of what is floating around.

NinjaPirate
04-02-2008, 08:17 PM
I found a 1959 quarter, a mercury dime, and a buffalo nickle working as a cashier at my college a few years back.

NathanTurner
04-02-2008, 08:21 PM
Since I've been looking, I've come across a few pieces. By far one of the best sources was an old box of coins that I had just lying around for years.

Lately I've been getting old wheat straw pennies in my change. The oldest was 1923, so I have faith that there is a bit of silver circulating around. I'll find it eventually. ;)

buffalokid777
04-02-2008, 08:25 PM
Since I've been looking, I've come across a few pieces. By far one of the best sources was an old box of coins that I had just lying around for years.

I've also gotten 40% silver half dollars at my local bank, which got me to wondering what I could get if I go through their collection. I'm taking $200 down tomorrow for 400 half dollars to find out. Living in a small town, this may just be viable if no one has picked through them.

Lately I've been getting old wheat straw pennies in my change. The oldest was 1923, so I have faith that there is a bit of silver circulating around. I'll find it eventually. ;)

I have alot more luck finding wheat pennies than silver in my change, I'd estimate 1 wheat penny out of 200-250 pennies I receive as a change......

ghemminger
04-02-2008, 08:33 PM
the big thing is pre 1983 copper pennys using a ryedale machine - it's my new hobby

Allen72289
04-02-2008, 08:45 PM
Yep, with my ryedale I get a lot of wheats.

G, maybe you could smuggle the pennies to mexico to melt?

Lol. Jk..

Awesome.

Get 'em before the fed does!

Take that banksters!

buffalokid777
04-02-2008, 08:47 PM
the big thing is pre 1983 copper pennys using a ryedale machine - it's my new hobby

I'm getting the apprentice model after someone kindly posted the link here :).......

The wheats I am finding is just sorting my change.....with the machine.....I'm going to be turning my FRN for penny rolls left and right :)

ghemminger
04-02-2008, 08:48 PM
Yep, with my ryedale I get a lot of wheats.

G, maybe you could smuggle the pennies to mexico to melt?

Lol. Jk..

Awesome.

Get 'em before the fed does!

Take that banksters!

I need to buy a rydale cheap....:)

Allen72289
04-02-2008, 08:59 PM
I need to buy a rydale cheap....:)

Have you tried ebay?

G, if I were you I would look into California gold mine claims on federal land.

You can claim up to 20 acres, the yearly fee is small.

20 acres to mine, cultivate, and so on.

You can move a camper on the claim.

This would be an easy way of getting those few acres you want until land prices plummet. Raising pigs is very profitable.

After land drops in value I would buy.

banjojambo9
04-02-2008, 09:06 PM
Mar 12, 2008 ... WASHINGTON -- Propelled by soaring prices for gold, copper, uranium and other metals, new mining claims on federal land are surging

NathanTurner
04-02-2008, 09:30 PM
Those machines are entirely too expensive for my tastes. I just do it manually: automatically save any pre-1982 pennies; weigh 1982 and 1983 pennies, and if they're a little over 3g, they're copper. It takes a little bit of time; but I have much more time than money lately. ;)

Allen72289
04-02-2008, 09:43 PM
Yeah, they're expensive.

Depends what you wanna do with them.

G, as Banjo stated I would really look into a claim.

A few years of mining through the depression by hand would even give you enough for those few acres assuming you find a good vein.

RSLudlum
04-02-2008, 10:06 PM
Those machines are entirely too expensive for my tastes. I just do it manually: automatically save any pre-1982 pennies; weigh 1982 and 1983 pennies, and if they're a little over 3g, they're copper. It takes a little bit of time; but I have much more time than money lately. ;)

and if you don't have a scale, do the drop test. ;)

copper pennies have more 'ring' to them, and the zinc ones are quite dead.

Zippyjuan
04-03-2008, 12:59 AM
I work in retail and almost never see anything silver. There were no silver nickels made since about the Civil War. Some made during WWII had 35% silver in them but no nickel which was needed for the war effort.

NathanTurner
04-03-2008, 08:47 AM
I've only found one "war time" 35% nickel. I think the best place to find silver is in smaller towns; money can circulate there between neighbors for years without them spending it in the "big city."

I think it's nearly incomprehensible that if our parents and grandparents had simply saved their change and invested a large portion of their savings in precious metals (gold, silver, and even rhodium), we'd be extremely wealthy people at this point. I remind my parents of this whenever I visit and they look at me like I'm crazy when I start going through their spare change for silver, copper pennies and nickels. The latter two will probably get me nowhere; but they're already worth more than the face value of the coin now. What could they be in 40 years? I'm not taking any chances, especially since the government is wanting to debase our nickels now for their copper content.

Besides, I have to have something to keep me busy; otherwise I'd just get into trouble. ;)

Dave Pedersen
04-03-2008, 09:16 AM
Old couches and car seats hide many treasures. I found a .38 in a chair cushion at the cop shop and it got me out of a jam as a wayward lad.. I just set it on the desk, still in the holster and when the cop walked in he asked me where I found it.. his expression was priceless. Needless to say I walked and my parents were never notified of my petty misdemeanor.

Cleaner44
04-03-2008, 09:29 AM

I found a quicker way, I throw the 1982 pennies at my large glass bottle that I save change in, the copper ones ring, the zinc ones sound dull. Try it, you will notice a distinct difference. I toss the pennies and my son scoops them up.

Allen72289
04-03-2008, 11:37 AM
http://www-cs-students.stanford.edu/~tjw/coins.html

^This guy says on average he runs into 1 silver half dollar for every other 39 half dollars.

This has got me wanting to bust out the metal detector and head to the local lake. >_>;