PDA

View Full Version : This isn't good...

foofighter20x
08-20-2007, 06:48 AM
I just crunched all the numbers, and even if we were to carry every state primary, all the at-large delegates to the nomination convention wouldn't even equal half of the total amount of delegates.

We've really got to focus on getting active within the party and try to take up as many vacancies as possible so that we might be able to stand for a spot at the national convention.

This one is gonna be close... :(

Spirit of '76
08-20-2007, 07:20 AM
Yep. We can do it, though!

foofighter20x
08-20-2007, 12:31 PM
I'm thinking that a great strategy for getting delegates would be to focus on Congressional districts that are currently Democratic and that were captureed in 2006, and that are mainly in open primary states. That's fertile ground for RP's anti-war, anti-corruption, and small-gov't. message. At three delegates per district, that'd be at least another easy 90 votes.

Bradley in DC
08-20-2007, 12:37 PM
Foo,

I'm not sure your posts demonstrate a good understanding of the delegate selection process, no offense. One, different delegates are chosen differently, as you point out, but the important difference is primary vs. caucus. For example, if one votes for Dr. Paul in the Ohio primary (to pick one example), then Ohio law says that the Congressional District delegates are awarded winner-take-all by CD and the statewide delegates are awarded winner-take-all by the one with the most votes statewide--there is no separate vote for CD vs. statewide (At Large). The main point is to maximize all of Dr. Paul's votes everywhere.

klamath
08-20-2007, 12:38 PM
I just crunched all the numbers, and even if we were to carry every state primary, all the at-large delegates to the nomination convention wouldn't even equal half of the total amount of delegates.

We've really got to focus on getting active within the party and try to take up as many vacancies as possible so that we might be able to stand for a spot at the national convention.

This one is gonna be close... :(

If that was the case there would be a bloodbath (figuratively) at the convention. It would be the time to root out the neocons. The whole country would be watching the fireworks. It would be like the '76 convention.:D I don't know if it is still the case but California has always been winner takes all. I was reading the other day that in 1976 Ron Paul and the Texas delegation figured out how to change the way they voted so that the 4 at large delegates that would have went to Ford went to Reagan allowing Reagan to take all 100 delegates

foofighter20x
08-20-2007, 12:53 PM
Foo,

I'm not sure your posts demonstrate a good understanding of the delegate selection process, no offense. One, different delegates are chosen differently, as you point out, but the important difference is primary vs. caucus. For example, if one votes for Dr. Paul in the Ohio primary (to pick one example), then Ohio law says that the Congressional District delegates are awarded winner-take-all by CD and the statewide delegates are awarded winner-take-all by the one with the most votes statewide--there is no separate vote for CD vs. statewide (At Large). The main point is to maximize all of Dr. Paul's votes everywhere.

Ah... Gotcha... In fact, you want the spread sheet with the numbers? Also, we could have a few CD blowouts and take the state, but still come up short in delegates. This is almost like how the EC works. To win, you need broad, consistant majority support. Also, still doesn't negate that we should be hitting the open primary and recent swing districts hardest.

We still need to get active in the party as an emerging/re-emerging/insurgent wing though. That is my main point.

0zzy
08-20-2007, 12:54 PM
I'm going to try and become a delegate. You ask around after you vote, yes? :-x I have no idea how it works really.

foofighter20x
08-20-2007, 12:56 PM
I'm going to try and become a delegate. You ask around after you vote, yes? :-x I have no idea how it works really.

Get involved with your local GOP and find out how they do it. ;)

That's my point.

mdh
08-20-2007, 01:05 PM
Keep in mind also that there are different types of delegates. Delegates to the state convention elect the delegates from that state to the GOP national convention. The delegates at the GOP national convention nominate the Republican candidate whose name will be listed as the Republican on the ballot at the general elections.

How each state is won, in terms of what must be done in each state to ensure that the delegation from that state to the GOP national convention will vote for Dr. Paul varies from state to state.

Please do your best in your home states folks - having our delegates ready to rock in each state as necessary - to the state conventions - is ultra-critical!

Bradley in DC
08-20-2007, 01:20 PM
Get involved with your local GOP and find out how they do it. ;)

That's my point.

Caucus states and primary states are very different animals. If you are in a primary state, you show up on election day and vote as if it's a general election. If you are in a caucus state, you must be much more active (examples vary considerably across states).

Go here for better information on your states:

http://www.thegreenpapers.com/P08/

http://www.republicansource.com/primaries.htm

http://redstateeclectic.typepad.com/redstate_commentary/
(this is from a Ron Paul supporter, look at the "pages" section down the left side column)

If people have questions on their specific states regarding the delegate selection process, please PM me your email address and state for information on the 2004 process (many states have changed or are considering changing their processes and dates).

0zzy
08-20-2007, 01:22 PM
gawd I'm confused. here I thought the people voted in the primaries. so elites choose the candidate? gahhh

Bradley in DC
08-20-2007, 01:26 PM
gawd I'm confused. here I thought the people voted in the primaries. so elites choose the candidate? gahhh

Ozzy,

There is a confusing array of different laws across different states. Focusing on trying to understand just your state should simplify things.

Bradley in DC
08-20-2007, 01:28 PM
Keep in mind also that there are different types of delegates. Delegates to the state convention elect the delegates from that state to the GOP national convention. The delegates at the GOP national convention nominate the Republican candidate whose name will be listed as the Republican on the ballot at the general elections.

How each state is won, in terms of what must be done in each state to ensure that the delegation from that state to the GOP national convention will vote for Dr. Paul varies from state to state.

Please do your best in your home states folks - having our delegates ready to rock in each state as necessary - to the state conventions - is ultra-critical!

This information is NOT applicable to primary states, FYI. That said, you make a great point (one that is lost on "interpaul's" (Anson's) website.

NCGOPer_for_Paul
08-20-2007, 01:33 PM
Now, all 50 states and territories are different. Some states, the winner of the primary is SUPPOSED to get all the delegates in that state. Others, do some by congressional district and state, and still others do a proportional division based on primary.

HOWEVER, one thing seems clear and pretty uniform, the majority of delgates are elected at DISTRICT AND STATE CONVENTIONS.

This means, even in a state where the delegates are "bound" by primary votes, those delegates aren't necessarily supporters of the candidate they have to vote for (on the first ballot). Theorectically, RP people can get elected delegates BUT Ghouliani wins the state. That would mean the RP delegates are supposed to vote for Ghouliani (on the first ballot). If a candidate does not have enough delegates on the first ballot - it becomes a free for all. We haven't seen one sice 1964.

Also, although states have laws in place that a delegate is "bound" to vote a certain way, I'm not sure if anyone has ever been prosecuted for not voting "right". This is the main reason why it is so important to become a delegate to prevent any shenanigans.

0zzy
08-20-2007, 01:36 PM
I live in Texas, an open primary state.

Now what do I do from there.
HELP ME! :(

(Guadalupe County)

http://www.texasgop.org/

mdh
08-20-2007, 01:36 PM
This information is NOT applicable to primary states, FYI. That said, you make a great point (one that is lost on "interpaul's" (Anson's) website.

Not sure what you mean by "primary states", Bradley. Do you mean there are states where the outcome of the primary voting directly selects the delegates to the GOP national convention?

mdh
08-20-2007, 01:38 PM

(Guadalupe County)

I'd advise looking at three websites:

1> The state governmental department responsible for elections (often this will be the office of the Secretary of State).

2> Your state GOP's website.

3> The green papers link, that Bradley posted. You should find a page on there for the Republican nomination process in Texas.

NCGOPer_for_Paul
08-20-2007, 01:39 PM
Bradley, even in primary states, delegates are selected to National at district and state conventions. While those delegates are "supposedly bound", they are only "bound" for the first ballot.

0zzy
08-20-2007, 01:47 PM

1> The state governmental department responsible for elections (often this will be the office of the Secretary of State).

3> The green papers link, that Bradley posted. You should find a page on there for the Republican nomination process in Texas.

http://www.sos.state.tx.us/
http://www.texasgop.org/site/PageServer
http://www.thegreenpapers.com/P08/TX-R.phtml

Now what? :)

Also, apparently, it will be March 4th when they have Texas primaries. My birthday is on April 5th. Can I still vote? :(

Bradley in DC
08-20-2007, 01:49 PM
Bradley, even in primary states, delegates are selected to National at district and state conventions. While those delegates are "supposedly bound", they are only "bound" for the first ballot.

As I tried to point out, rules vary considerably by state. In states that choose their delegates to the presidential nominating conventions via the primary process, there generally are no district or state conventions. States using the RNC-defined "caucus," "convention" or "meeting" processes use different processes. Whether a delegate is "bound" or not (and for how many votes) is determined by state law and not tied to the primary vs. caucus choice.

Bradley in DC
08-20-2007, 01:51 PM

(Guadalupe County)

http://www.texasgop.org/

Texas uses a hybrid primary/caucus system. Go to the links I provided and look at the three Texas-specific sites.

0zzy
08-20-2007, 01:53 PM
Texas uses a hybrid primary/caucus system. Go to the links I provided and look at the three Texas-specific sites.

Can I even vote? I'm 1 month and 1 day shy of the supposive vote date.

foofighter20x
08-20-2007, 01:54 PM

You mean you turn 18 on Dec 5 2008?

My guess, then, is no.

Doesn't mean you can't campaign though!

0zzy
08-20-2007, 01:56 PM
You mean you turn 18 on Dec 5 2008?

My guess, then, is no.

Doesn't mean you can't campaign though!

You don't have to be 18 to vote for the primaries and join the GOP and conventions and all that jazz?

Bradley in DC
08-20-2007, 02:00 PM
Now, all 50 states and territories are different. Some states, the winner of the primary is SUPPOSED to get all the delegates in that state. Others, do some by congressional district and state, and still others do a proportional division based on primary.

HOWEVER, one thing seems clear and pretty uniform, the majority of delgates are elected at DISTRICT AND STATE CONVENTIONS.

This means, even in a state where the delegates are "bound" by primary votes, those delegates aren't necessarily supporters of the candidate they have to vote for (on the first ballot). Theorectically, RP people can get elected delegates BUT Ghouliani wins the state. That would mean the RP delegates are supposed to vote for Ghouliani (on the first ballot). If a candidate does not have enough delegates on the first ballot - it becomes a free for all. We haven't seen one sice 1964.

Also, although states have laws in place that a delegate is "bound" to vote a certain way, I'm not sure if anyone has ever been prosecuted for not voting "right". This is the main reason why it is so important to become a delegate to prevent any shenanigans.

With all due respect, you have many things confused here. If you are reading Anson's site, he also gets all of his terms (and pretty much everything else) wrong.

There is no "supposed" to get the majority of delegates in a primary. The rules are what the states decide and very few award them the way you subjectively believe they are "supposed" to be allocated. There is no legal or logical correllation there.

What is clear is that you have wrong your understanding of primary states--straight primary states do NOT have conventions (district or state) as part of their process to determine presidential nominating delegates. A majority of delegates are NOT chosen by district or state conventions, this is a factual error, not opinion.

Delegate candidates are chosen by the respective campaigns who file their choses withe the state Secreatary of State.

If delegates are bound by state law, they are bound according to the specific rules of that state law. Period. If they are bound for Dr. Paul, they cannot vote for Rudy or anyone else. The laws vary by state: some are not bound, others are bound for a different number of votes (just first, second, third, etc.) or permanently unless released by they candidate.

foofighter20x
08-20-2007, 02:02 PM
You don't have to be 18 to vote for the primaries and join the GOP and conventions and all that jazz?

Check your state laws, but I'm sure you have to be 18 to vote in a primary election (since other issues do appear on those ballots).

To be involved in the party, you most likely don't have to be 18. Get your foot in the door early and they might start grooming you for leadership jobs. ;)

0zzy
08-20-2007, 02:02 PM
Someone specifically help me out, I have nothing better to do today. Contact me on AIM (OzzyCSOPS) or just respond to my forum post. <3~!

0zzy
08-20-2007, 02:03 PM
Check your state laws, but I'm sure you have to be 18 to vote in a primary election (since other issues do appear on those ballots).

To be involved in the party, you most likely don't have to be 18. Get your foot in the door early and they might start grooming you for leadership jobs. ;)

Oh, that means I can't be a delegate! And therefore go to the conventions! and therefore can't vote for ron paul!

:[

Bradley in DC
08-20-2007, 02:04 PM
Not sure what you mean by "primary states", Bradley. Do you mean there are states where the outcome of the primary voting directly selects the delegates to the GOP national convention?

Yes, exactly. In many states, the primary determines the allocation of all of the "elected" delegates to the national presidential nominating convention.

Bradley in DC
08-20-2007, 02:08 PM

This might help:

http://www.texasgop.org/site/DocServer/2006_General_Rules.pdf?docID=2041

foofighter20x
08-20-2007, 02:09 PM
Oh, that means I can't be a delegate! And therefore go to the conventions! and therefore can't vote for ron paul!

:[

Get your mom or dad to do it. :D

0zzy
08-20-2007, 02:12 PM
Get your mom or dad to do it. :D

They would, but not become a delegate. GAhhhhhosh.

Bradley in DC
08-20-2007, 02:14 PM

In all states, except SC where the party runs its own primary, the state Secretary of State runs the election.

Jennifer Reynolds
08-20-2007, 02:15 PM
///

Bradley in DC
08-20-2007, 02:21 PM
(Bottom line: get active in your local Meetup and tell them and your state director that you want to be a "delegate candidate" for Dr. Paul).

TEXAS 2004

138 Total Delegates: 96 CD & 42 AL Primary: 3/9/04
Primary/Caucus/Convention State Convention: 6/5/04
Delegates bound for 3 ballots
Winner-take-all if over 50% in district or statewide;
w/20% threshold if not

Step 1 – Presidential Primary

Purpose: To allocate and bind national convention delegates and alternate
delegates based on the primary results.

Timing: 3/9/04: (Early Voting Program begins 2 weeks before)

Qualifications: Open primary. Deadline to register to vote is 30 days prior to
election.

Allocation: CD: A candidate receiving more than 50% of the votes in any congressional district is entitled to three (3) delegates and alternates from that congressional district. General Rules for all Conventions and Meetings Rule 38 § 8(a). If no candidate receives a majority of the votes in any congressional district the plurality winner is entitled to two (2) delegates and alternates from the district and the candidate receiving the next highest number of votes receives one (1) delegate and alternate; however, if the plurality winner receives more than 20% and the candidate with the next highest number of votes receives less than 20%, then the plurality winner is entitled to three (3) delegates and alternates. Id. § 8(b). If no candidate receives more than 20%, each of the three (3) candidates receiving the highest number of votes shall receive one (1) delegate and alternate. Id. § 8(c).

AL: A candidate receiving more than 50% of the votes statewide shall be entitled to all AL delegates and alternates. Id. § 9(a). If no candidate receives a majority, then the AL delegates and alternates are apportioned among the candidates receiving more than 20% of the statewide vote in the ratio which the number of votes received by each such candidate who received more than 20% of the statewide vote bears to the total of all such candidates receiving more than 20%, rounding fractional delegates and alternates upward to the next whole number beginning with the candidate receiving the largest
number of votes. Id § 9(b). If no candidate receives more than 20%, the AL delegates and alternates shall be apportioned among such candidates, beginning with the candidate receiving the highest number of votes and rounding fractional delegates and alternates upward to the next whole number, and then awarding delegates and alternates to the second highest candidate in the same manner, and so forth until the delegates and alternates to be apportioned have been fully awarded. Id. § 9(c).

Step 2 – Precinct Conventions

Purpose: To elect delegates and alternate delegates to the county/senatorial
district conventions.

Timing: 3/9/04

Qualifications: Candidates for county/senatorial district delegate must be affiliated
with the Republican Party and registered to vote in the precinct they seek to represent.6

Process: Each precinct elects a number of delegates and alternate delegates to the county/senatorial district conventions based on the number of votes cast for the Republican gubernatorial candidate in that precinct in the last gubernatorial election (1 delegate and 1 alternate for every 25 votes, or major fraction thereof).

Step 3 – County/Senatorial District Conventions

Purpose: To elect delegates and alternates to the state convention and the congressional district caucuses.

Timing: 3/27/04

Qualifications: Candidates for state convention delegate must be affiliated with the Republican Party and registered to vote in the county or senatorial district they seek to represent.

6 Rule 20 of the Convention & Meeting rules of the Republican Party of Texas states that all delegate
candidates must have voted in the Republican primary. The Texas Election Code, however, prohibits parties from imposing more stringent eligibility requirements than those provided by statute. See §§ 174.003 and 174.004.

Process: The number of delegates and alternate delegates elected by each county/senatorial district convention is based on the number of votes cast for Republican gubernatorial candidate in that county or senatorial district in the last gubernatorial election.

The committee on nominations for each county/senatorial district convention reports a list of delegates and alternate delegates for election to the state convention. Delegates and alternate delegates may be elected at-large or by precinct at the discretion of the convention.

Step 4 – Congressional District Caucuses

Purpose: To elect CD delegates and alternate delegates to the national convention, and to elect one person to serve on the national nominations committee at the state convention.

Timing: 6/5/04

Qualifications: Candidates for delegate to the national convention must have voted
in the Republican presidential primary in Texas and be qualified to be a delegate or alternate under the rules of the National Republican Party. Id. § 12.

Process: At the state convention, each congressional district caucuses and elects the three delegates and alternate delegates, which are bound to a candidate in accordance with the portion of the primary vote received by that candidate. Id. § 6(a)-(b). Delegates are nominated from the floor and are elected one at a time by majority vote. Id. § 6(b). Nominees must become pledged to the Presidential candidate on whose slate theywere nominated. Delegates are committed to that pledge for first three ballots at the national convention unless the delegate is released by death, withdrawal, or decision of candidate or if the candidate receives less than 20% of the total vote on the second ballot. Id. § 10(a)-(b).

Step 5 – State Convention

Purpose: To elect AL national convention delegates and alternate delegates

Qualifications: Candidates for delegate to the national convention must have voted
in the Republican presidential primary in Texas and be qualified to be a delegate or alternate delegate under the rules of the National Republican Party. Id. § 12.

Process: Each congressional district caucus meets at the state convention and elects one person to serve as a member to the National Nominations Committee. Id. § 7(a). The National Nominations Committee meets at the state convention to select nominees for all AL delegates and alternates. Id. § 7(b). The nominees are reported to the state convention. The report cannot be amended by the convention and is either confirmed or rejected. If rejected, the report is returned to the committee for revision then re-submitted to the convention. AL delegates and alternates are also bound by pledge provisions of § 10, as stated above. Id. § 7(c).

Step 6 – Certification of Delegates

Purpose: Filing of the credentials of the state delegation to the Secretary of the RNC.

Timing: 07/31/2004

Process: No later than thirty (30) days before the time set for the meeting of
the national convention, the credentials of each delegate and alternate
delegate shall be filed with the secretary of the Republican National
Committee for use by the secretary in making up the temporary roll
of the national convention (RNC Rule 18(c)).

Step 7 – Organizing Convention Delegation

Purpose: To select national convention delegation chairman and choose committee persons.
Timing: Promptly following selection of delegates.
Process: National Party Rules require the election of a delegation chairman, as well as one (1) man and one (1) woman for each of the four (4) Convention Committees, including: Committee on Resolutions (Platform), Committee on Credentials, Committee on Rules and Order of Business, and Committee on Permanent Organization. States are required to file notice with the RNC Secretary the selection of these committee members and their state delegation chairman. Alternate delegates may not serve as delegation chairman or as members of the convention committees (RNC Rules, Rule 40(a)).

Elector Selection

Purpose: To select presidential electors.
Process: At the state convention, the delegates from each Congressional district shall nominate one presidential elector and present it to the National Nominations Committee (NNC). The NNC selects two additional nominees. Each nominee for elector, prior to the report of the NNC, must file with the Chairman of the NNC an affidavit in writing as to his commitment to voting for the Republican Party’s nominees for President and Vice-President. The convention then elects the presidential electors. Rule 39.

Table of Authorities

General Rules for all Conventions and Meetings.

0zzy
08-20-2007, 02:22 PM
GOD I AM SO CONFUSED.

Why can't we all just vote and the highest vote gets the win!? :)

Or just have Ron Paul become president! :-p

mdh
08-20-2007, 02:25 PM

If I recall correctly, some states do allow you to vote in the primary at age 17 if you will be 18 by the general election. Check the website for the Texas state stuff. If you can't find the info there, make some phone calls and ask them.

foofighter20x
08-20-2007, 02:26 PM

Because Washington, Jefferson, Madison et cetera knew that method only lead to a tyranny of the majority and specifically warned and guarded against it.

Colleen
08-20-2007, 02:30 PM
Yes, when I was living in South Carolina, a caucus state, I ended up becoming a delegate quite by accident, but I thouroughly relished the experience.

Know thy state, is the operative mantra here.

mdh
08-20-2007, 02:31 PM
GOD I AM SO CONFUSED.

Or just have Ron Paul become president! :-p

That just isn't how it works. We do not have time to change the systems, so we shall work within them to achieve victory.
You found those three links - read them. If you can't find the info on them you're looking for, then call them and ask politely. :)

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - these state GOP affiliates may not be our friends right now, but they need not be our enemies either. Be diplomatic, and friendly. Give them a good impression of Ron Paul's base, and of you. You never know when you may end up wanting their help on other issues, and if you alienate them now, you're not doing yourself any favors.

Original_Intent
08-20-2007, 02:34 PM
If my state has "winner take all" rules for the primaries, is it even important to try to become a delegate?

foofighter20x
08-20-2007, 02:54 PM
If my state has "winner take all" rules for the primaries, is it even important to try to become a delegate?

Yes. Delegates are typically only bound to a candidate on the first ballot.

If no one wins the first ballot, don't you think you might want to be there to make sure Dr Paul gets a strong show on subesquent ballots?

Bradley in DC
08-20-2007, 02:55 PM

YES! Voters choose the "delegates" from among the slate of "delegate candidates" put up by the presidential candidates. Dr. Paul may need you as one of his delegate candidates!