PDA

View Full Version : The Texas Straw Poll

wgadget
08-20-2007, 06:32 AM
Excerpts from www.star-telegram.com:

Getting ready

GOP leaders are trying to make sure everything is ready for the big event, working on everything from agendas and programs to a final push to get people registered.

They've been so busy they couldn't even send anyone to the Iowa Straw Poll on Aug. 11, where Romney came out on top.

All this has happened as one corporate sponsor, Lockheed Martin, has expressed concern about its $10,000 donation to the event.

"Since the scope of the event has changed, we're re-evaluating our participation at this time," company spokesman Joe Stout said.

Stout commented after another Lockheed Martin worker was quoted in an online newsletter as saying that the company is disappointed that the "top tier" candidates won't be present. And some have expressed concern that local Republican leaders such as U.S. Rep. Kay Granger aren't part of the event.

"Lockheed Martin sponsored the poll early because it is being held in our hometown and we do support the political process," Eric Fox, senior director of government relations for Lockheed Martin, told the Quorum Report. "We are an eyelash from asking for the full 10K back."

Stout said Fox's comments did not necessarily reflect the position of Lockheed Martin. Fox did not return calls from the Star-Telegram. Granger's office has since said she will have a speaking role at the straw poll, although the details are still being worked out.

Klingler said the party appreciates the sponsors and volunteers who are helping.

"Lockheed Martin is [a] valued corporate partner in this event. Any discussion of resources donated we believe are between that partner and RPT," Klingler said, referring to the Republican Party of Texas.

Planned protests

As many as 5,000 protesters from across the nation, including parents of troops who died in war, and Iraq veterans opposed to the war, are expected to show up. A block has been set aside for protests on Main Street between Eighth and Ninth streets.

"We are calling this the American People's Poll on Iraq and the Texas Town Hall," said Alyssa Burgin, spokeswoman fro the Austin-based group Texans for Peace, which is helping organize the protest. "We want everyone to see how many people there are in the U.S. who are opposed to the course in Iraq.

"If you can just win them over to your side ... that's what we're trying to do. One citizen at a time, one officeholder at a time. ... We want to make them understand the best thing they can do to support the troops is to bring them home."

Looks like there will be a GREAT BUNCH OF PEACE LOVERS attending who need Ron Paul literature!

What a campaigning opportunity....Anyone that can get there, please go!

G-khan
08-20-2007, 06:42 AM
Ron Paul should go and speak at this event - MSM will cover this, and meetups should go and use this event also IMO

Scribbler de Stebbing
08-20-2007, 07:03 AM
RP is participating in the straw poll, so I'm certain he will speak. Do I understand that the usual cowards are backing out, namely Benito and the foundering amnesty champion?

G-khan
08-20-2007, 07:07 AM
RP is participating in the straw poll, so I'm certain he will speak. Do I understand that the usual cowards are backing out, namely Benito and the foundering amnesty champion?

I hope he goes out and speaks to the protesters and says "Just Come Home"

DjLoTi
08-20-2007, 07:11 AM
Guitar legend Jimmy Vaughn will be performing the day before the Straw Poll in Ft. Worth, at a party dedicated to Ron Paul.

I hope it makes a wave.

constituent
08-20-2007, 07:35 AM
i suggest a flash mob one block over from the "free speech zone" that they've isolated the 'protest' to. no real assembly, just a bunch of ron paul people milling about suddenly shouting and chanting... you know... right next door to the free speech zone. that'd get some press. great youtube moment when the cops come up and give us a lawful order to leave and we do so b/c we weren't really protesting or assembling to begin with...

just milling around.

robatsu
08-20-2007, 09:30 AM
Looks like it is blowing up in Lockheeds face - what they perhaps anticipated as a non-controversial celebration of corporate America sounds like it might be getting taken over by the people.

constituent
08-20-2007, 09:33 AM
we could march down to their headquarters. block the entrances to their places in San Antonio... actually, nevermind... that'd be a clear violation of the patriot act and we'd certainly be labelled enemy combatants... in fact I probably should have even posted this.

TexMac
08-20-2007, 09:45 AM
Guitar legend Jimmy Vaughn will be performing the day before the Straw Poll in Ft. Worth, at a party dedicated to Ron Paul.

I hope it makes a wave.Do you know where it is?

angelatc
08-20-2007, 09:45 AM
i suggest a flash mob one block over from the "free speech zone" that they've isolated the 'protest' to. no real assembly, just a bunch of ron paul people milling about suddenly shouting and chanting... you know... right next door to the free speech zone. that'd get some press. great youtube moment when the cops come up and give us a lawful order to leave and we do so b/c we weren't really protesting or assembling to begin with...

just milling around.

YOu should be passing out Ron Paul literature to the people confined in the Free SPeech zone. Those are so unConstitutional it's pathetic, but both the Democrats and the Republicans use them.

Ron Paul should stop by and introduce himself.

Scribbler de Stebbing
08-20-2007, 10:14 AM
YOu should be passing out Ron Paul literature to the people confined in the Free SPeech zone. Those are so unConstitutional it's pathetic, but both the Democrats and the Republicans use them.

Ron Paul should stop by and introduce himself.

Yes, but only if they are behaving themselves. Putting myself at the risk of flaming, please don't turn off the delegates to Ron Paul with angry behavior. Yes, get the message out, but with good behavior, by setting an example, as Ron Paul likes to say.

constituent
08-20-2007, 10:26 AM
We're talking about seperate events no?

constituent
08-20-2007, 11:10 AM
there will be a republicans rally (of which ron paul supporters will be a part of) and a peace demonstration which has been cordoned off. is there any word on if the ron paul supporters will be cordoned off as well?

if not, i don't see why people can't go back and forth as they please... showing up to support ron paul doesn't mean they can't show up and do something else if they so desire. that being said...

"all we are saying....
is give ron paul a chance!"

jblosser
08-20-2007, 11:20 AM
I have heard nothing of the P&J people being cordoned off in one of W's "Free Speech Zones(tm)" and we of the Revolution certainly have no expectation we will be. We plan to dominate the area around the CC.

In point of fact, we were unable to get the big square right next to the convention center for one of our rallies because the P&J protestors already had it reserved. If they have another entire block of public streets set aside for them it's fair to say they are going to have a decent presence. They may well outnumber the GOP people if they really get 5000 there.

Below is the public official grassroots/RP schedule as it currently stands. The concert/party Friday night is also listed on the ronpaul2008.com campaign site as an eventful event.

Anyone coming, please do let me know: http://ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=12976

Thursday, 8/30:

noon - ??? : Set Up

Friday, 8/31:

7am - 7pm : Registration / Trade Show (booth staffed)
9am - 4pm : Campaign School
7pm : Delegates Banquet
8:30pm - midnight : Party featuring Jimmie Vaughan and Ron Paul, $25 a person, free for documented delegates

Saturday, 9/1:

6am - 10am : Registration / Trade Show (booth staffed)
7am : Breakfast with Ron Paul at the Renaissance Worthington (for delegates, may be some standing room left)
8:30am ? : Rally (location TBD)
10am - noon : Speeches
noon - 2pm : Voting

jblosser
08-20-2007, 11:22 AM
Do you know where it is?

At the Worthington. Tex, if you plan to show up, please let me know so we can get you hooked up with the people on the ground. We want the LRC coverage. :-)

jblosser
08-20-2007, 11:42 AM
Yes, but only if they are behaving themselves. Putting myself at the risk of flaming, please don't turn off the delegates to Ron Paul with angry behavior. Yes, get the message out, but with good behavior, by setting an example, as Ron Paul likes to say.

We are actively discussing if/how we want to address the protestors. I assure you there is no chance we will be doing anything but telling them this is a candidate they can get behind, assuming they are sincere about their message. This is TX. We practice Southern hospitality. :)

By the way, the block at 8th and 9th is the one right next to the public square they have reserved for their event, and both are directly next to the CC, with full visibility. I would read this as the city is closing off those streets to traffic so the protestors don't get run over. The area is composed of multiple public squares, walkways, etc. We are down there every Friday night with signs and literature.

Closing streets for people down there is common.