PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul: Do Not Meddle With Russia

Phantom
04-02-2008, 11:01 AM
Ron Paul: Do Not Meddle With Russia (http://www.antiwar.com/blog/2008/04/01/ron-paul-dont-meddle-with-russia/)

April 1, 2008 in News
by Eric Garris

Ron Paul gave this speech before the US House of Representatives as they voted on House Con Res 154 “expressing concern” over Russian involvement in Alexander Litvinenko’s murder.

Mr. Speaker: I rise in strong opposition to this ill-conceived resolution. The US House of Representatives has no business speculating on guilt or innocence in a crime that may have been committed thousands of miles outside US territory. It is arrogant, to say the least, that we presume to pass judgment on crimes committed overseas about which we have seen no evidence.

The resolution purports to express concern over the apparent murder in London of a shadowy former Russian intelligence agent, Alexander Litvinenko, but let us not kid ourselves. The real purpose is to attack the Russian government by suggesting that Russia is involved in the murder. There is little evidence of this beyond the feverish accusations of interested parties. In fact, we may ultimately discover that Litvinenko’s death by radiation poisoning was the result of his involvement in an international nuclear smuggling operation, as some investigative reporters have claimed. The point is that we do not know. The House of Representatives has no business inserting itself in disputes about which we lack information and jurisdiction.

At a time when we should be seeking good relations and expanded trade with Russia, what is the benefit in passing such provocative resolutions? There is none.

Mr. Speaker, I would like to enter into the Congressional Record a very thought-provoking article by Edward Jay Epstein published recently in the New York Sun (http://www2.nysun.com/article/73212), which convincingly calls into question many of the assumptions and accusations made in this legislation. I would encourage my colleagues to read this article and carefully consider the wisdom of what we are doing.

ButchHowdy
04-02-2008, 11:02 AM
I just love when Ron uses that Scooby-Doo lingo!!

acptulsa
04-02-2008, 11:23 AM
"I would encourage my colleagues to... carefully consider the wisdom of what we are doing."

Doesn't this snippet just about sum up Dr. Paul's whole career in the House?

pinkmandy
04-02-2008, 11:56 AM
Doesn't this snippet just about sum up Dr. Paul's whole career in the House?

I thought the same. At least he has more respect now and his words mean more. They all know we're watching them ignore the wisest man in politics and when shtf they will be called out because they sold their souls. :D

Roxi
04-02-2008, 12:03 PM
WTF why does our government care that some russian guy got murdered in london???

im pretty sure like 150,000 people a day die are we going to pass resolutions on all of them?

its like theres nothing on the "too dumb to meddle in" list for them anymore

acptulsa
04-02-2008, 12:06 PM
its like theres nothing on the "too dumb to meddle in" list for them anymore

You know those flourishes magicians like David Copperfield do with one hand to distract your eye while they perform their magic trick with the other? Well, these pickpockets need their diversions, too.