PDA

View Full Version : Barr vs. Ventura

Stallion
04-02-2008, 09:28 AM
Who gets your vote? Who should the RP Revolution coalesce behind and why?

jason43
04-02-2008, 09:42 AM
Ventura is actually qualified. Barr wouldn't get covered because he will just be viewed as a former house member who can't win, they will do the same things to him that they did to RP. Jesse proved he can win, is famous, has rich friends, and has executive experience with high ratings when he left office...

Its almost a no brainer. Personally, I am pro-life, but that issue is about 2033984803984 on the list of things that need to be fixed to save the country at the moment. If he can be persuaded to run, I will be collecting sigs to get him on the ballot. Same for Ron Paul if he should chose to run.

menoname
04-02-2008, 09:46 AM
Why not both. It will take more than one person to win this fight. But as a spokesperson for the revolution, maybe Ventura because he is well known.

Stallion
04-02-2008, 10:33 AM
Ventura is actually qualified. Barr wouldn't get covered because he will just be viewed as a former house member who can't win, they will do the same things to him that they did to RP. Jesse proved he can win, is famous, has rich friends, and has executive experience with high ratings when he left office...

Its almost a no brainer. Personally, I am pro-life, but that issue is about 2033984803984 on the list of things that need to be fixed to save the country at the moment. If he can be persuaded to run, I will be collecting sigs to get him on the ballot. Same for Ron Paul if he should chose to run.
True, but...Barr is viewed semi-favorably by many of the conservatives who are disgruntled with McCain. I believe a large chunk of the Christian voting bloc would consider voting for him. Combine that with most RP supporters and Libertarians and he could potentially make a bigger splash than Ventura. And if we managed to get him into the debates, he would get coverage.

V3n
04-02-2008, 10:57 AM
Ventura.

The sheeple don't want intellect, they want a 'movie star'. I haven't done my homework on either of them, but Ventura looks younger, speaks better, and governor > congressman.

He's a celebrity, he knows how to work a camera, create news, and deliver one-liners, so the media blackout won't have as much affect.

Like I said, I haven't done my homework on either one of them, but neither will 99% of those voting.

Paul set up the blue-print and laid the foundation, the revolution needs a charismatic mouth-piece to move it forward more than it needs another brain that will be ignored, or misunderstood.

ClayTrainor
04-02-2008, 11:01 AM
To be honest i havent researched the politics but,

I choose Ventura solely on his name recognition, and image.

Both men sound like they know their politics well, but bob barr is definitely a brighter person IMO but,

Ventura has great name recognition already, he has proven independants can win, he is confident he'll win if he enters on the ballot, and he has a great strong and appealing image that hopefully some sheep will just love.

Ventura is the man if we actually want to take our country back this election.

angelatc
04-02-2008, 11:04 AM
I concur with the "why not both?" sentiment. But I have so little faith in the intelligence of the voters that I am inclined to think that Ventura's celebrity status might be required to win over voters.

Kotin
04-02-2008, 11:19 AM
jesse ventura is my guy.

Stallion
04-02-2008, 11:35 AM
Wow 13-4 Ventura. I wonder if that's an accurate representation of the 800,000 RP voters.

Stallion
04-02-2008, 11:39 AM
Why not both. It will take more than one person to win this fight. But as a spokesperson for the revolution, maybe Ventura because he is well known.

I should have specified...who gets your vote this November for POTUS?

Charles Wilson
04-02-2008, 11:50 AM
jesse ventura is my guy.

If winning is all this movement is about. How about Bozo the Clown? Hey, the children love him. Maybe they can convince their parents to vote for him!

Kotin
04-02-2008, 11:55 AM
If winning is all this movement is about. How about Bozo the Clown? Hey, the children love him. Maybe they can convince their parents to vote for him!

your an idiot.

did i say, i want jess cause he can win?

didnt think so :rolleyes:

speciallyblend
04-02-2008, 11:57 AM

look fact is ventura is a smart man,so dont ever put the name bozo clown anywhere near ventura, geez maybe you need to listen to some of what ventura says or watch the larry king show. ventura makes alot of sense and i think a ventura/paul ticket is workable,but honestly we still have a good chance at winning the republican convention i think a ticket like paul/ventura under the republican banner would be unbeatable;) but a paul/ventura or ventura/paul works for me either way inside republican party or outside of it,either way ron paul already has my vote,unless he endorses someone .

V3n
04-02-2008, 12:11 PM

It doesn't take a genius to follow Paul's platform, he's done all the heavy-lifting and has laid everything out. (Actually, the Constitution already did that!)

If Bozo can come in and stick to the platform while every parent in America votes for him simply because he's Bozo, I have no problem with that.

Charles Wilson
04-02-2008, 12:21 PM
look fact is ventura is a smart man,so dont ever put the name bozo clown anywhere near ventura, geez maybe you need to listen to some of what ventura says or watch the larry king show. ventura makes alot of sense and i think a ventura/paul ticket is workable,but honestly we still have a good chance at winning the republican convention i think a ticket like paul/ventura under the republican banner would be unbeatable;) but a paul/ventura or ventura/paul works for me either way inside republican party or outside of it,either way ron paul already has my vote,unless he endorses someone .

I am very aware of Ventura's position on the issues. As a Christian I also know that Ventura stated at one point while he was Governor of Minn that religion is a crutch for the weak. We do not need someone in the Oval Office with his lack of respect for religion and those that have faith in God. Ron Paul is a Christian and fully supports the First Amendment of the Constitution. I doubt very seriously that Ron Paul would have anything to do with Ventura. BTW: I did see Ventura on the Larry King show -- I was not impressed.

Charles Wilson
04-02-2008, 12:23 PM
your an idiot.

did i say, i want jess cause he can win?

didnt think so :rolleyes:

Would you care to explain why you think I am and idiot? I do not believe we have met.

0zzy
04-02-2008, 12:24 PM
Barr/Ventura

Charles Wilson
04-02-2008, 12:38 PM
It doesn't take a genius to follow Paul's platform, he's done all the heavy-lifting and has laid everything out. (Actually, the Constitution already did that!)

If Bozo can come in and stick to the platform while every parent in America votes for him simply because he's Bozo, I have no problem with that.

Good point. The fact is, it takes a lot of tenacity, spirit and dedication to stick to a platform such as the one Ron Paul champions. Ron Paul is the only person in this world that I know who has those qualities. I am truly amazed that he exists in this day and age -- he mirrors our founding fathers.

Hopefully there are others yet to be discovered with those unique qualities that will carry on after Ron Paul -- Ventura is not one of them. If anything, he is an opportunist.

V3n
04-02-2008, 12:40 PM
I am very aware of Ventura's position on the issues. As a Christian I also know that Ventura stated at one point while he was Governor of Minn that religion is a crutch for the weak. We do not need someone in the Oval Office with his lack of respect for religion and those that have faith in God. Ron Paul is a Christian and fully supports the First Amendment of the Constitution.

Did he ever pass or propose any laws as Governor to discourage or impede religion?

I don't care what the man says or believes in his personal life if it doesn't affect his policy (as I believe Ron Paul would defend the First Amendment even if he was defending a faith he personally rejects).

V3n
04-02-2008, 12:43 PM
Good point. The fact is, it takes a lot of tenacity, spirit and dedication to stick to a platform such as the one Ron Paul champions. Ron Paul is the only person in this world that I know who has those qualities. I am truly amazed that he exists in this day and age -- he mirrors our founding fathers.

I totally agree with you here!

Hopefully there are others yet to be discovered with those unique qualities that will carry on after Ron Paul -- Ventura is not one of them. If anything, he is an opportunist.

I'll just have to take your word on Ventura (for now), like I said, I haven't done my homework. :)

freedom-maniac
04-02-2008, 02:55 PM
Is Ventura even running? I haven't seen any news stories that says he is.

Luft97
04-02-2008, 03:08 PM
This could hurt him as well...

In 2005, Ventura repeatedly discussed leaving the United States. In September of 2005, Ventura announced on The Mike Malloy Show that he was leaving the U.S. and planned to "have an adventure". In late October 2005, he went on the The Big Idea with Donny Deutsch and reiterated that he was leaving the U.S. due to, among other things, censorship. He has since moved to Baja California, Mexico.

Caulfield
04-02-2008, 03:24 PM
True, but...Barr is viewed semi-favorably by many of the conservatives who are disgruntled with McCain. I believe a large chunk of the Christian voting bloc would consider voting for him. Combine that with most RP supporters and Libertarians and he could potentially make a bigger splash than Ventura. And if we managed to get him into the debates, he would get coverage.

Ventura certainly has many many strong libertarian inclinations, but you're completely right in suggesting that Barr would be the only one to assuredly lockdown anti-McCain conservatives. Aside from the "celebrity" of Ventura, which really won't do anything when it comes to pulling the lever in the voting booth, Ventura is lacking on name alone. He lacks the respect and credibility Barr has with the conservative movement, which is really the demographic that should be most heavily targeted by Third Parties in this election cycle. Barr impeached Clinton, and is an icon of the conservative movement. Ventura is a wrestling-pro turned one-term gov.

Edit: That, and Ventura isn't even running.

Unspun
04-02-2008, 03:38 PM
I am very aware of Ventura's position on the issues. As a Christian I also know that Ventura stated at one point while he was Governor of Minn that religion is a crutch for the weak. We do not need someone in the Oval Office with his lack of respect for religion and those that have faith in God. Ron Paul is a Christian and fully supports the First Amendment of the Constitution. I doubt very seriously that Ron Paul would have anything to do with Ventura. BTW: I did see Ventura on the Larry King show -- I was not impressed.

You took it out of context. He didn't say religion is a crutch for the weak. He said "Organized religion is a sham and a crutch for weak-minded people who need strength in numbers." I don't agree with the quote at face value. This doesn't mean he disrespects your religious beliefs. But, organized religion is far different than having religious beliefs. If you analyzed it further he could be just hinting that using organized religion to push political agendas are a sign of the weak. Which I agree with, as it is in support of separation of Church and State.

I vote Bob Barr.

Bradley in DC
04-02-2008, 03:55 PM
Bob Barr. No question. But I'm biased: I've and worked with him for years on lots of issues. (Don't know Ventura at all.)

Charles Wilson
04-02-2008, 08:32 PM
Did he ever pass or propose any laws as Governor to discourage or impede religion?

I don't care what the man says or believes in his personal life if it doesn't affect his policy (as I believe Ron Paul would defend the First Amendment even if he was defending a faith he personally rejects).

In my opinion Ventura implied that Christians are weak minded people who use their faith as a crutch. You be the judge. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesse_Ventura

For the record, I beleive that the First Amendment equally protects Freedom of Religion and Freedom from Religion. I am not sure that Ventura fully understands that.

Charles Wilson
04-02-2008, 08:38 PM
Bob Barr. No question. But I'm biased: I've and worked with him for years on lots of issues. (Don't know Ventura at all.)

I like Bob Barr. Hopefully he will step up his support for Ron Paul and become a giant in the Ron Paul Revolution -- we need more men like him to join our movement.