PDA

View Full Version : is there going to be a draft soon?

SouthGeorgia61
04-01-2008, 09:17 PM
I just recently turned 18, and I am so against this war and so for ron paul and if there is a draft the last thing i want to do is get drafted and fight a war i have no interest in fighting. If there is a draft, what could I do to stay out of it?!? And is it likely it will happen soon? Makes me nervous :(.

Deborah K
04-01-2008, 09:26 PM
Bless your heart. I have 4 eligible kids and two eligible sons in law. There will most likely be an outcry the likes of which this country has never seen if they force a draft on us. People have had enough of this war.

christagious
04-01-2008, 09:29 PM
I have a feeling that a draft will be getting closer when we start seeing some major travel restrictions and maybe a stricter Canada-US border. When it gets to that point I bet they'll start one. They know that a lot of us will leave or hide if they draft us so they'll be taking precautions. So if you plan on leaving in the case of a draft I would suggest buying a 2-way ticket to alleviate any suspicions. I guarantee if they see an 18,19, or 20 year old guy buying a one way ticket to Switzerland or something, they'll know what's going on.

kyleAF
04-01-2008, 10:22 PM
I'm currently in the military. If I ever obey orders to come and take you against your will, please kill me immediately. Seriously. NO ONE has the right to your life. NO ONE... and you just might have to let that be known.

(I'm fairly confident I won't be doing that, btw, and I would consider you justified if I ever did).

We will need a draft relatively soon if we are to continue our presence in the Middle East. This I know for a fact... every service is hurting for recruitment more and more with time.

The Air Force is hemorrhaging people every time we're tasked to fill in an Army deployment slot (what we call "in lieu of", "ILO"). Sometimes we go through 9 people before one is willing to deploy... (we have the option of separating if our active duty commitment time is over). That means we sometimes lose 9 people to fill one year-long deployment (usually it's more like 3 to 1).

And we're the service that has it relatively easy right now!!

Watch out for the phrase: "Stop Loss". If you don't know what that is, you will soon. There's actually a movie coming out regarding it... so it'll probably become a pop-culture phrase... much to the Army's chagrin. Hell, we in the Air Force might even have to implement it again (pure conjecture! ;) ).

And IMO, if we touch off any conflict with Iran, you can bet a draft will be proposed. We simply don't have the resources at present numbers, IM*Personal*O.

I think it would be a disaster to do so, though. There would be far more resistance to it than back in Vietnam, IMO. FAR more.

familydog
04-01-2008, 10:27 PM
I just recently turned 18, and I am so against this war and so for ron paul and if there is a draft the last thing i want to do is get drafted and fight a war i have no interest in fighting. If there is a draft, what could I do to stay out of it?!? And is it likely it will happen soon? Makes me nervous :(.

Not anytime soon. I wouldn't worry just yet.

Dr.3D
04-01-2008, 10:36 PM
I remember the days in basic training during the Vietnam war. Some people would pretend to be gay and that would get them discharged. Others would wet the bed enough times that they would be discharged. I remember one guy who was laying in his bed masturbating while everybody was walking by, I don't really know what happened to him, he did disappear though. Still later when we were on a ship, there was this fellow who shaved his head and dressed up in a white robe and danced around singing hare crisna over and over again. Finally one day, he jumped overboard and had to be knocked unconscious before they could drag him onto a small boat. He later was sent to a government mental institution.

I'm just mentioning these things because that was what some did to try to get out of going to Vietnam.

Nirvikalpa
04-01-2008, 11:07 PM
I doubt it, and hope not.

I know there are going to be a lot of people pissed if there is a draft. I personally know if they start a draft, I am not going down easy. And I'm not letting my boyfriend go down easy, either.

No way. I'll fight to the death for him... and myself, if they take women in this next draft. We're not dying for someone's freedom, unless it is our own.

Kotin
04-01-2008, 11:20 PM
if you dip a cigarette in a certain indian ink and smoke it, it makes it seem for the duration of about 2 weeks that you have a heart problem.

John of Des Moines
04-02-2008, 05:23 AM

Well to start off - be sure to visit http://www.sss.gov/ to put your name on a handy list of names. ;)

From the back of my brain I recall several proposals to re-institute the draft from some leading members of congress - Chuck Wrangle (sp?) comes to mind. Some are straight up drafts for military service for the youngsters (18-25+/-). Others are for "National Service" of various types besides military (or in addition to) service, such as helping man road blocks and conducting searches, or putting out forest fires, fun things like that. The upper age ranges for these proposals go from 35 to 45 and 46 (ohh, less than 10 months for me).

As for running off to Canada, forget about it. What do you think this North American Union thing is all about? Or leaving the country for places far off - why do you think Homeland Security gets a list of the passengers for flights and ships leaving the US one hour before departure? (There was an article in the paper recently about a group of charter fishing boat captains on Lake Erie complaining about having to call in a list of passengers - one hour ahead of time - who are taking day trips because the best fishing spots are on the Canadian side of the Lake. And I've read about the same thing regarding boats the Gulf Coast as well. - Guess this is what happens when the head HS is a dual citizen.)

And don't think about going on the lamb and underground living with family or friends or on the streets, the National Id will be used to track purchases so someone who buys too much will get a special visit from some social workers (who are draftees) because the government is worried about people's waistlines.

Don't worry about getting a college deferment (except for maybe your present semester) since a lot people bitched about that during Vietnam endless deferments that won't be the norm unless your lat name is some like Corleone. And joining National Guard pastry units will be limited to the Bushes and Quayles of the world.

P.S. Local Selective Service Boards are in place already: http://www.sss.gov/fslocal.htm

Bruno
04-02-2008, 07:28 AM
if you dip a cigarette in a certain indian ink and smoke it, it makes it seem for the duration of about 2 weeks that you have a heart problem.

I hope that was not a serious tip for the young man?!? :eek:

Sarge
04-02-2008, 07:38 AM
All might want to take a look at this,

http://www.news.com/Real-ID-could-mean-real-travel-headaches/2009-1028_3-6228133.html

When I booked a flight in Alaska in July on Alaska airlines they said be sure to have your "government id card"

We just got our passport's renewed. Will last us 10 years, and by that time I will likely be dead.

Suggestion for the young here is get your passports early before you can't get one or they require more information. I read that they are not so much concerned with us older ones right now as they are about the young people. That is were they are concentrating.

There is no way in H--l I will ever let them put a tattoo on my arm with my knowledge or consent.

hairball
04-02-2008, 07:57 AM
No draft, folks. All the talk about it is just political grnadstanding. Got most of my family that volunteered, and the only thing they do talk about is the stop loss, which is just a way of saying, "hey, we know your time is up, but we still need your body for a while." Kinda natural in a war.

A little early to be wetting your pants, there. Don't worry, others will stand up for you if you decide to run away.

If you are truly against the war, and they do institute a draft, stay and fight, refuse to fight, be a medic, but don't scuttle off to another country like a puny dog. Stnad and fight, even if you are fighting against fighting.

Refusal is a lot more noble and effefctive than using the cowards advise of peeing and doctoring your body. They only stop taking bodies when those bodies just make their stand.

amonasro
04-02-2008, 08:59 AM
No draft, folks. All the talk about it is just political grnadstanding. Got most of my family that volunteered, and the only thing they do talk about is the stop loss, which is just a way of saying, "hey, we know your time is up, but we still need your body for a while." Kinda natural in a war.

A little early to be wetting your pants, there. Don't worry, others will stand up for you if you decide to run away.

If you are truly against the war, and they do institute a draft, stay and fight, refuse to fight, be a medic, but don't scuttle off to another country like a puny dog. Stnad and fight, even if you are fighting against fighting.

Refusal is a lot more noble and effefctive than using the cowards advise of peeing and doctoring your body. They only stop taking bodies when those bodies just make their stand.

So what do they do if we refuse to fight? Is that the same as becoming a conscientious objector? Does that even matter? I feel like everyone and their dog will become a conscientious objector. They're not gonna buy that.

I don't see a draft soon, but if we end up in Iran the chances for it go way up.

And our society is way different than during Vietnam. Will they draft women because of affirmative action? They will definitely draft gay men. Will illegal immigrants get a road to citizenship for serving?

A draft would open a whole new can of worms for this country.

Doktor_Jeep
04-02-2008, 09:29 AM
They will get their draft.

After the government nukes one of our cities and claims Al CIAeda did it, the average sheeple will scream and clamor for all the youth to go kill a-rabs.

And America makes that last step to being the Nazi Germany of the 21st century.

Dr.3D
04-02-2008, 09:30 AM
snip~ Refusal is a lot more noble and effefctive than using the cowards advise of peeing and doctoring your body. ~snip

Are you suggesting since I reported what I saw when in basic training about some who wet the bed to get out of the military, that I am some how advising this is the way to get out and that I am a coward?

I'll have you know, I served my entire enlistment and had voluntarily enlisted before they were able to draft me. If this is your suggestion, then I take your comment as an insult.

After having served two tours of duty in Vietnam, then later when I came home to the U.S. only to be spit on and called names, I suggest you bite your tongue when insinuating I am some kind of coward.

Perhaps your day will come to be drafted and we will see what kind of person you will turn out to be. Will you wet the bed or refuse to serve as a conscientious objector or perhaps enlist and try to be some kind of medic or get a desk job behind the lines?

Imagine being in your final two years of high school and knowing when you graduate you will be drafted to go to an unpopular war where great numbers of others have lost their lives. When you can do this, perhaps your advise will have a bit more bearing on the reality of the possibility of a coming draft.

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
04-02-2008, 09:38 AM

Before reestablishing the draft in this nation, those ruling as its tyranny would first have to establish exemptions to protect their noble youth from having to serve.
I do feel that it is too late for you to be effected by the reestablishment of a draft. But I guess it depends on how extensively the tyrant Bush takes advantage of those who serve in the national guard. Keep in mind that every male baby is born into the military and can be called up by society to serve at a moments notice.
By tyrant, I'm speaking of the original vision our founding fathers had of King George -- the nicest person in the world. The fact that the tyrant Bush claims to have overthrown the tyrant Saddam is quite perplexing. Our founding fathers would argue that both leaders are natural tyrants with Saddam just a criminal.
Of course, this vision of our forefathers is not self evident to President Bush because he thinks the Constitution is just a piece of paper.

UnReconstructed
04-02-2008, 09:46 AM
Sounds like spinal deficiency.

It takes bigger balls to go to war than it does to "stay and refuse to fight". Anyone that will tell you otherwise is justifying their own cowardice and wants you to enable them.

I don't agree with the war and I don't agree with a draft... more so than that, I hate people who look for the back door when there's work to be done.

Remember, that Ron Paul served voluntarily in an unconstitutional war.

Kraig
04-02-2008, 10:03 AM
Sounds like spinal deficiency.

It takes bigger balls to go to war than it does to "stay and refuse to fight". Anyone that will tell you otherwise is justifying their own cowardice and wants you to enable them.

I don't agree with the war and I don't agree with a draft... more so than that, I hate people who look for the back door when there's work to be done.

Remember, that Ron Paul served voluntarily in an unconstitutional war.

There is nothing respectable about becoming the tool for the purpose of another man, unless his purpose is just and right. If his purpose is grim and violent - if it requires great courage, that does not make make it just or good. I do not hate people who look for the back door when there is work to be done because I do my own work. My survival does not depend on them working, and if they wish to run from it they do not concern me - because I will take care of myself. However, I do not see how someone could consider this unjust war as "work to be done". This is my view and there is no part of it that I need you or even Ron Paul to justify, I have no cowardice for you to redefine, I do not need to be enabled - I have enabled myself by making a choice and taking my own action. Is this why you call me a coward?

SweetMona
04-02-2008, 10:04 AM
If you do not want to be drafted, then I suggest you to say that you have lost some hearing ability.... They won't draft my Deaf guy friends just because they failed their audiology exams...

*Hint, learn some American Sign Language and you need it as secondary language to understand information through visual communication! It works!

ELT
04-02-2008, 10:21 AM
They will get their draft.

After the government nukes one of our cities and claims Al CIAeda did it, the average sheeple will scream and clamor for all the youth to go kill a-rabs.

And America makes that last step to being the Nazi Germany of the 21st century.

Yep, just like they have done many other times to get into war. Create some false attack from whoever they want to go fight. EXACTLY like Nazis...

Lusitania attack: WWI
Pearl Harbor: WWII
Gulf of Tonkin attack: Vietnam
9/11 attacks: Iraq & Afghanistan

All most likely staged events to go to war...

HOLLYWOOD
04-02-2008, 10:33 AM
Don't Worry you have 2 easy OPTIONS to avoid being Drafted:

1.) Nepotism: Daddy George Bush, his Wealth and political connections can get you a nice cushy job in the USAF reserves, which you won't have to show up to, half the time! No VIETNAM for the Bush Family

2.) the 5 - Deferment Chenney Plan: Just do what Dick Chenney did in coming up with all kinds of excuses so he doesn't have to serve in VIETNAM. Go to college, get married, yotta yotta

There's your ULTRA NEOCON's examples on how to avoid active duty!

aka by Jesse Ventura as "CHICKEN HAWKS"

hairball
04-02-2008, 11:39 AM
Are you suggesting since I reported what I saw when in basic training about some who wet the bed to get out of the military, that I am some how advising this is the way to get out and that I am a coward?

I'll have you know, I served my entire enlistment and had voluntarily enlisted before they were able to draft me. If this is your suggestion, then I take your comment as an insult.

After having served two tours of duty in Vietnam, then later when I came home to the U.S. only to be spit on and called names, I suggest you bite your tongue when insinuating I am some kind of coward.

Perhaps your day will come to be drafted and we will see what kind of person you will turn out to be. Will you wet the bed or refuse to serve as a conscientious objector or perhaps enlist and try to be some kind of medic or get a desk job behind the lines?

Imagine being in your final two years of high school and knowing when you graduate you will be drafted to go to an unpopular war where great numbers of others have lost their lives. When you can do this, perhaps your advise will have a bit more bearing on the reality of the possibility of a coming draft.

Methinks you lost a bit of the context here, for I made no insinuations against you, just those that give all sorts of coward's advise on how to selfishly avoid seeing combat because they have the sense to want to avid an unpopular war, but lack the spine to stand and fight the draft.

Those that served in Vietnam have my highest respect from the point of view that they were sent to do an unpopular thing by people who had less planning for conduct of a war than there current crop do.

Calm down, I did not throw that tomato at you. I think you best go back and read all the posts up to mine and see if you can get the gist of what I said, so your feelers do not get hurt. Having grown up at the tailend of that war, I believe I can make a solid, informed point on what is noble and what is cowardise.

Those with a spine will serve their duty, whether drafted or volunteer, burn their cards, stand in lines to protest, refuse to serve, fight to make others see how the war is umpopular. Those with a spine will not demonize the soldiers.

Those that are bottom-feeding, gelatinous scum are those that run and let others do the fighting, whether in or against, the war. Some may be genuinely terrofoed, or wet the bed, or be buggy in some way, but to use it as a device to evade your responcibility to take a stand one way or another is inexcusable cowardise.

hairball
04-02-2008, 11:42 AM
So what do they do if we refuse to fight? Is that the same as becoming a conscientious objector? Does that even matter? I feel like everyone and their dog will become a conscientious objector. They're not gonna buy that.

And our society is way different than during Vietnam. Will they draft women because of affirmative action? They will definitely draft gay men. Will illegal immigrants get a road to citizenship for serving?

A draft would open a whole new can of worms for this country.

In the highly unlikely case of a draft, I believe they should draft the women as well. If the war is justified enough, they should be willing. If the war is unjustified, that will just double the number of protesters who have a stake in standing against the war.

Who cares if they do not buy the CO route. State your objection like an adult. Accept the consequences and resist, if your ideals are so pure. If you have no ideals beyond the selfish ideal of letting others fight your abttles, then shame. But if you have a strong belief against doing something unconsitutional, you have a responcibility to face the music, make your stand, to fight and resist. Otherwise you are tool for a different machine.

Nirvikalpa
04-02-2008, 01:39 PM
In the highly unlikely case of a draft, I believe they should draft the women as well. If the war is justified enough, they should be willing. If the war is unjustified, that will just double the number of protesters who have a stake in standing against the war.

Women are objectors without being drafted. I do get what you're saying, but I would fight much stronger for my boyfriend than myself... I think the whole 'you stay at home while he is in another country fighting' attitude frightens women moreso than being there. Every second that goes by you wonder if he's dead or alive.

But I do get what you're saying. But I hope you realize women are more against war than a lot of people think.

devil21
04-02-2008, 03:39 PM

FEMA has been busy preparing "safety" camps for the protestors and CO's. Obama has already been on record saying that "national service will be a pathway to citizenship for illegals" under his presidency. These things are not very far fetched...

Roxi
04-02-2008, 03:46 PM

don't listen to him your a hero and hes an ass :p

mediahasyou
04-02-2008, 03:51 PM
move to Mexico. They can get over here easily enough. So it shouldn't be that hard to go the other way cross the border.

You should get a nice landscaping, factory job over there. And send money back to your family. =P

Dr.3D
04-02-2008, 03:52 PM
don't listen to him your a hero and hes an ass :p

I'm no hero. :o

hairball
04-02-2008, 04:00 PM
Women are objectors without being drafted. I do get what you're saying, but I would fight much stronger for my boyfriend than myself... I think the whole 'you stay at home while he is in another country fighting' attitude frightens women moreso than being there. Every second that goes by you wonder if he's dead or alive.

But I do get what you're saying. But I hope you realize women are more against war than a lot of people think.

Women in my family are more hawkish than the men. My middle wants to be a sniper in the Marines.

But I do think, hand in hand, arm in arm resistence is much better than running to Mexico with tail tucked. Your country, fight for it if you believe in it so much. Others have fought for you.

I am entertained about these 'camps'. Yup, the tin hatters are out there.

Dr 3D, you may not consider yourself a hero, but you did well, and by your duty. Good to have folks like you abouts.

Bradley in DC
04-02-2008, 04:18 PM
No, of course there won't be military conscription called a "draft."

"Enhanced community service" on the other hand...:p

Nirvikalpa
04-02-2008, 04:57 PM
No, of course there won't be military conscription called a "draft."

"Enhanced community service" on the other hand...:p

I wonder if that's what Obama means when he says that.

FreedomRings
04-02-2008, 05:39 PM
Yep, just like they have done many other times to get into war. Create some false attack from whoever they want to go fight. EXACTLY like Nazis...

Lusitania attack: WWI
Pearl Harbor: WWII
Gulf of Tonkin attack: Vietnam
9/11 attacks: Iraq & Afghanistan

All most likely staged events to go to war...

I'm not one to defend the Nazis, but as far as war-starting false flag attacks go, they have just one to their "credit" - the Gleiwitz incident. They killed exactly one person to make it look more credible (an enemy soldier; none of their own).

So in some ways, we're worse than the Nazis. The Lusitania attack and Pearl Harbor clearly show that politicians won't hesitate to sacrifice their own people - even civilians - if it serves a perceived "higher cause".

amonasro
04-02-2008, 07:54 PM
There it is, in black and white.

http://www.barackobama.com/pdf/NationalServicePlanFactSheet.pdf

Strengthen the Military: Our country’s greatest military asset is the men and women who wear the uniform of the United States. Barack Obama will work to solve the military’s recruitment and retention crisis by asking Americans to serve in the military, increasing the size of the Army by 65,000 troops and the Marines by 27,000 troops, and properly training and equipping our troops to face the battles of the 21st Century. Because our military is built on families, Obama will better support those families of whom we are asking so much. In addition, Obama will uphold America’s sacred trust with our veterans by building a 21st-Century Department of Veterans Affairs.

The whole pdf scares me very much. When I bring it up to Obama supporters they are absolutely clueless about it.

The biggest question is... if he wants to end the war, why does he want to expand the military?

qh4dotcom
04-02-2008, 11:00 PM
McCain has the draft on his mind as punishment when someone upsets him. See for yourself below what happened when a young man asked McCain the "too old" question. McCain said he's going to draft him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2zx3-0zOPs

A draft is not a joke or laughing matter, especially to responsible parents. Hope the poor kid survives Iraq or Iran.

So if you don't want a draft, do everything you can to make people vote against McCain.

Signzit
04-02-2008, 11:09 PM
Does Marshall Law count as the Draft, if it does? Then, Yes, there will be a draft.

hairball
04-03-2008, 06:50 AM
Does Marshall Law count as the Draft, if it does? Then, Yes, there will be a draft.

Uh, dude, it is Martial Law. Who is this Marshall you are talking about?

And no, we won't have a draft, that is just a bunch of people wetting themselves about having to make a stand for their beliefs.

You guys are amazingly skittish.

jason43
04-03-2008, 07:36 AM
My question is: If this is the "most important struggle of our time" why havent they already instated the draft? They had one in WWII, Korea and Vietnam... seems like they would completely get behind the idea of everyone doing their part... or of course, the whole thing could be full of crap...

Neo-con military philosophy:
"We need to send someone... just not me or my kids."

OptionsTrader
04-03-2008, 07:40 AM
Answer to the OP:

Yes, unless the course is changed. And none of the heads on the three headed monster are going to change the course.

angelatc
04-03-2008, 08:09 AM
My question is: If this is the "most important struggle of our time" why havent they already instated the draft? \

Because it is an election year.

Uncle Emanuel Watkins
04-03-2008, 11:02 AM
Women in my family are more hawkish than the men. My middle wants to be a sniper in the Marines.

But I do think, hand in hand, arm in arm resistence is much better than running to Mexico with tail tucked. Your country, fight for it if you believe in it so much. Others have fought for you.

I am entertained about these 'camps'. Yup, the tin hatters are out there.

Dr 3D, you may not consider yourself a hero, but you did well, and by your duty. Good to have folks like you abouts.

As members of a enslaved military caste, the Mamluk caucasions evolved to rule over their Arab masters in Egypt. They only knew the lower position because the Arabs kidnapped and brainwashed them as teenagers to serve as their army. So, the brainwashing became a long held tradition blinding them to their lower positions even after they gained enough power to rule.
I'm not an American Mamluk and such "service" is a danger to our nation. As I've told my sons to sober them up, every male child in this world is born a soldier. When society needs us, we go.
As Americans we have two choices. We can either fight in a foreign war against a foreign threat or we can fight in a civil war against a domestic one. Right now our nation is under attack by a domestic tyranny and not foreigners.
Besides, there is a greater threat to our nation today than terrorism.
I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. -- Thomas Jefferson

TER
04-03-2008, 11:15 AM
Part of me thinks the quickest way to restore this Republic is if a draft was initiated. Then we'd see a march in Washington unlike any before!

Deborah K
04-03-2008, 12:07 PM
As members of a enslaved military caste, the Mamluk caucasions evolved to rule over their Arab masters in Egypt. They only knew the lower position because the Arabs kidnapped and brainwashed them as teenagers to serve as their army. So, the brainwashing became a long held tradition blinding them to their lower positions even after they gained enough power to rule.
I'm not an American Mamluk and such "service" is a danger to our nation. As I've told my sons to sober them up, every male child in this world is born a soldier. When society needs us, we go.
As Americans we have two choices. We can either fight in a foreign war against a foreign threat or we can fight in a civil war against a domestic one. Right now our nation is under attack by a domestic tyranny and not foreigners.
Besides, there is a greater threat to our nation today than terrorism.
I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. -- Thomas Jefferson

Love this! Well put!