PDA

View Full Version : Hannity Speaks at Rudy Fundraiser

Razmear
08-20-2007, 03:11 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/wn_report/2007/08/19/2007-08-19_giulianis_foxy_pal_cash_flap.html

Giuliani's Fox-y pal cash flap

BY DAVID SALTONSTALL
DAILY NEWS SENIOR CORRESPONDENT

Sunday, August 19th 2007, 4:00 AM

It's no secret that Sean Hannity, the conservative Fox News commentator, has helped to raise Rudy Giuliani's profile - but now he's helped the former mayor raise money, too.

In a little noticed event this month, Hannity - co-host of Fox News' "Hannity & Colmes" and host of a popular WABC radio show - introduced the Republican front-runner at a closed-door, $250-per-head fund-raiser Aug. 9 in Cincinnati, campaign officials acknowledge.

In so doing, some believe that Hannity - while clearly a commentator paid to express his opinions - crossed the line from punditry into financial rainmaking for a presidential candidate whose bottom line is now better for it.

"Fox's in-kind contribution to Republican politicians in the form of softball coverage is one thing," said Steve Rendall, senior analyst at Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting, a left-leaning media watchdog group. "But this is the first time they have crossed this line into fund-raising."

More independent observers said Hannity's appearance underscored the blurring lines between news and advocacy and could be interpreted as a kind of endorsement.

"It signals within that brand of conservatism that they ought to vote for the guy," said Kathleen Hall Jamieson at the University of Pennsylvania's Annenberg School for Communications.

Hannity declined to comment, but his bosses at Fox News Channel and WABC, flagship station for his national radio show, defended their marquee star by arguing that he's not a journalist and shouldn't be judged as one.

"Sean is not a journalist - Sean is a conservative commentator," said Bill Shine, Fox's senior vice president of programming. "Sean doesn't hide, and never has hidden, his beliefs from anyone."

Hannity isn't the first news figure to cross the line into fund-raising. James Carville, a Democratic consultant and CNN personality, has stumped for Democratic candidates in recent years.

And then-CBS anchor Dan Rather caused howls of protest when he attended a Democratic Party fund-raiser in Texas in 2001 organized by his daughter.

Rather - whose transgression was in many ways worse, since news anchors are expected to betray no bias in covering the news - immediately apologized.

But the dustup led to a public debate during which one Fox News colleague of Hannity's, commentator Bill O'Reilly, made it clear that he saw an ethical problem in attending political fund-raisers.

"Now Rather gave a speech at a fund-raiser, so money changed hands. I mean, I wouldn't do that," O'Reilly said on his own Fox show, "The O'Reilly Factor."

Hannity's leanings for Giuliani have been well-documented. The Hotline, a political journal, has noted that through July 15, Giuliani had enjoyed 115 minutes of free face time on Fox - more than half of that on "Hannity & Colmes." His airtime on Fox was 25% higher than any other Republican candidate, data show.

The Aug. 9 fund-raiser where Hannity worked the crowd for Giuliani, held at Jeff Ruby's Steakhouse in downtown Cincinnati, was closed to the press. No known recording of his comments exist.

But some who were there - including Hannity's boss at WABC, Phil Boyce - said Hannity was typically effusive.

"He talked about Rudy's leadership after 9/11, about how Rudy had turned the city around and taken people off the welfare rolls," said Boyce "There wasn't anything he said that I haven't heard him say on the radio."

trispear
08-20-2007, 03:24 AM
Quite simply, f*** Hannity. Neocon scum.

There was a time I actually listened to Rush Limbaugh (Hannity guest hosted from time to time). I feel so stupid for helping enrich this clique of circlejerks and chickenhawks:(

Scribbler de Stebbing
08-20-2007, 06:56 AM
He showed his neocon stripes pretty quickly. I never liked the guy, even some years ago when I couldn't get enough of conservative talk radio. I can endure quite a bit of blather, but I always had to turn him off.

NCGOPer_for_Paul
08-20-2007, 07:37 AM
I'll give Rush credit for something. He has repeatedly said that he's not going to get involved in the Republican Primary race. He feels it wouldn't be right if he supported one over another. He's also said that ALL the Republican candidates are better than all the Democrat candidates.

By supporting Rudy, he gives Rudy a voice in states where Rudy isn't campaigning. It's beyond sleazy, and hopefully Hannity gets nailed for it. The scary part about this is, Rudy might get a 5% bump from the Hannity listeners.

I used to like Hannity until he went completely neo-con, save for the amnesty debate. Something happened to the guy after 9/11. I don't know if he lost a lot of friends or just what, but something about him changed. He's even admitted that he used to be a lot more "libertarian" than he is now.

Triton
08-20-2007, 09:18 AM
Hannity is about as real a conservative as Andre the Giant was a real wrestler. That's OK because I voted with my ears and I don't listen to that neo-con cheerleader anymore.

angelatc
08-20-2007, 09:57 AM
I used to like Hannity until he went completely neo-con, save for the amnesty debate. Something happened to the guy after 9/11. I don't know if he lost a lot of friends or just what, but something about him changed. He's even admitted that he used to be a lot more "libertarian" than he is now.

Something happened to a lot of us after 9/11. It just takes some of us longer to come back around.

I feel stupid for not hearing the truth sooner. Part of the reason I didn't hear it is because it was the opposing political party saying it in their usual snotty and demeaning communication style.

I'm not sure Hannity has it in him to ever admit he was wrong, but he is only one guy.

CurtisLow
08-20-2007, 10:25 AM
http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/7448/giulianihitlercz4.jpg

Syren123
08-20-2007, 04:58 PM
Talk about a perfect storm of neo-con stupidity.

A $250 A HEAD FUNDRAISER?! AMATEURS!!