PDA

View Full Version : Question on 90% Silver

NathanTurner
04-01-2008, 05:42 PM
I know that dimes, quarters, and half-dollars before 1965 are composed of 90% silver, and this is one of the cheapest and easiest ways to buy silver ($1 face value is .715 troy oz). My question is, does the government recall such coins that are still left in the market? For instance, say that half dollars are rarely used; most of the half dollars in the local banks are most likely older since there isn't a great demand for them. Would it be possible to change $20 into 40 half dollars and actually get back a few pre-1965 half dollars in return?

My first reaction is, "Probably not." It seems almost too easy. But then again, I've seen stranger things in my time.

Acala
04-01-2008, 05:48 PM
The workings of Gresham's law have stripped nearly all silver coins out of circulation. You will almost certainly not find one in $20 worth of halves. You might find one or two in $2000 worth of halves.

Roxi
04-01-2008, 05:49 PM
i would bet that a lot of the pre65 ones have been pilfered through... but its always possible

bkreigh
04-01-2008, 06:24 PM
I know that dimes, quarters, and half-dollars before 1965 are composed of 90% silver, and this is one of the cheapest and easiest ways to buy silver ($1 face value is .715 troy oz). My question is, does the government recall such coins that are still left in the market? For instance, say that half dollars are rarely used; most of the half dollars in the local banks are most likely older since there isn't a great demand for them. Would it be possible to change $20 into 40 half dollars and actually get back a few pre-1965 half dollars in return?

My first reaction is, "Probably not." It seems almost too easy. But then again, I've seen stranger things in my time.

A month or two ago i exchanged $40 dollars for halves. I didnt find anything (dont forget the 40% halves.) Im not saying its impossible but doubtful. It doesnt hurt to try though. I just kept all my halves and paid for my lunches with them. You dont loose a dime doing this. If you get lucky then GREAT! If not you didnt loose anything.

Corydoras
04-01-2008, 06:31 PM
I have read that some people do it. From what I've read, it seems to vary by area. Some areas have quite a few per roll, and some virtually never have any.

Scribbles
04-01-2008, 06:55 PM
Well in six month or so working as a cashier and discreetly looking at every coin that goes by me, I've found 4 silver dimes, 1 silver nickel, and one silver quarter.

So its not impossible, but very unlikely to find often I must say.

ARealConservative
04-01-2008, 07:07 PM
Well in six month or so working as a cashier and discreetly looking at every coin that goes by me, I've found 4 silver dimes, 1 silver nickel, and one silver quarter.

So its not impossible, but very unlikely to find often I must say.

I just shake them together, if any are silver, you will hear it.

I got a filthy 1963 quarter at the grocery store just yesterday.

Give me liberty
04-01-2008, 07:12 PM
I dont like Silver gold is the best now.

ARealConservative
04-01-2008, 07:16 PM

You will never find gold coins mixed in with current coinage though, which is what this thread is about.

forsmant
04-01-2008, 07:41 PM
I found two silver dimes in my change jar. I started to separate the pennies and nickels from the zinc and kept an eye out for those silver coins. Whenever I go to the bank I glance at the tellers change that is within sight to look for half dollars and I rarely see those any more.

I just bought a 1922 peace dollar. It is beautiful.

adam1mc
04-01-2008, 10:32 PM

Why is that?

NathanTurner
04-02-2008, 08:33 AM
With silver being snatched off the market like it is, I'm wiling to try a long shot so long as it costs me nothing but my time. Probably the same reason I'm hoarding copper pennies and nickels. LOL

One more question (I'm new at this.. just a few days into learning about commodies): I'm seeing some odd behavior on such sites as Ebay concerning 90% silver. I've noticed people paying several dollars over spot for such things as mercury dimes and the like. I can see paying over spot for popular coins, but not for something as "cheap" as 90%. For instance, right now I'm looking at a lot of 9 silver dimes. The current spot price is approximately $16.80/oz. That would make 9 90% silver dimes $10.80 at spot (.715 oz/face dollar). The lot is currently at $20.47, and will probably go higher. Am I missing something here?

Also, I know Silver Maple Leaf and Silver American Eagles are becoming scarce and will always sell over spot. How much over should these be going for now to be considered reasonable?

Thanks for your time. :)