PDA

View Full Version : How can you get Creditor to stop calling you?

ghemminger
04-01-2008, 05:32 PM
This is for my friend...

he's getting calls all the time on his cell phone

They're calling him at work

They are also calling his family members sayin, "we need to reach _______, regarding a business issue...

It's really getting him down , is there a way to stop this?

Truth Warrior
04-01-2008, 05:35 PM
1) Tell him to pay his bills.
2) Declare bankruptcy.

ghemminger
04-01-2008, 05:37 PM
1) Tell him to pay his bills.
2) Declare bankruptcy.

Does he have any special rights to stop the harrassment?

Roxi
04-01-2008, 05:42 PM
This is for my friend...

They are also calling his family members sayin, "we need to reach _______, regarding a business issue...

yes, i used to work in collections... tell him anytime someone calls get their address, don't make any agreements to send anything and he needs to tell them he will be sending them a cease and desist letter...

he will have to send a C&D letter to EACH creditor that calls. BTW, if he tells them to stop calling his cell, and they call again he can sue them

once a C&D letter is sent they can't call anymore at all they can ONLY send mailings to him they are no longer legally allowed to call

yongrel
04-01-2008, 05:44 PM
The internet is quite possibly the worst place in existence to come to for advice on matters of any significance. Even if it is just "for a friend."

torchbearer
04-01-2008, 05:47 PM

If you retain an attorney regarding the matter, under law the collectors will have to contact the attorney.
So a decent retainer can save you a lot of head ache.

torchbearer
04-01-2008, 05:49 PM
yes, i used to work in collections... tell him anytime someone calls get their address, don't make any agreements to send anything and he needs to tell them he will be sending them a cease and desist letter...

he will have to send a C&D letter to EACH creditor that calls. BTW, if he tells them to stop calling his cell, and they call again he can sue them

once a C&D letter is sent they can't call anymore at all they can ONLY send mailings to him they are no longer legally allowed to call

THis is only true is you don't owe the collection agency. as in they are trying to collect on behalf of someone else.
If you owe the agency, as in, they bought your loan. They have the right to contact you until the debt is paid.
UNless you have an attorney, then they must contact him.

Roxi
04-01-2008, 05:59 PM
THis is only true is you don't owe the collection agency. as in they are trying to collect on behalf of someone else.
If you owe the agency, as in, they bought your loan. They have the right to contact you until the debt is paid.
UNless you have an attorney, then they must contact him.

yes yes, i forget... been many years

and yes, once you tell them you have an attorney they can't call you anymore but you are required to give them the name/contact of your attorney at the time of the call

Theocrat
04-01-2008, 06:16 PM
This is for my friend...

Just debit your liabilities! :D

Corydoras
04-01-2008, 06:19 PM
He is allowed to tell them not to call him at work, and they are SUPPOSED to abide by that.

angelatc
04-01-2008, 06:21 PM

www.creditboards.com .

He can write to them and tell them not to contact him any more. Then they can only contact him to advise him of a court date.

If the contactor is the original creditor, then the rule doesn't apply.

My brother in law keeps his credit absurdly clean using tips he got from that board, and now he's a banker.

ghemminger
04-01-2008, 06:53 PM
THANK YOU Toxic and Torch - this will save my freinds life - you guys are awesome!

ghemminger
04-01-2008, 06:54 PM
www.creditboards.com (http://www.creditboards.com) .

He can write to them and tell them not to contact him any more. Then they can only contact him to advise him of a court date.

If the contactor is the original creditor, then the rule doesn't apply.

My brother in law keeps his credit absurdly clean using tips he got from that board, and now he's a banker.

Thank You Angelatc - I will have him check it out - and guarenteed - I will take a look for myself.