PDA

View Full Version : Three day Truckers strike starts tomorrow.

wgadget
03-31-2008, 10:29 PM
http://www.wsmv.com/money/15749952/detail.html?rss=nash&psp=news

Paul Revered
03-31-2008, 10:55 PM
I posted this on MySpace. Here is one response.

Here is a link to a page that shows that American's, let me RE-PHRASE that.....Semi-Driving American's...are fed up with The leaders of our country making decisions that are HURTING people here, in our own country.

SHOULDN'T CHARITY START AT HOME?

Our country has spent an estimated 3 TRILLION dollars on the war in IRAQ, causing US, American workers and citizens to lose jobs...pay higher prices for food, gas, and energy.

TRUCK Driver's ALL OVER AMERICA are parking their Semi's in a joint effort to show Congress that we're not going to take these 3 and 4 DOLLAR A GALLON gas prices any longer.

Re-Post this, because the more this news is spread...the greater the chances that President Bush and his fellow congressmen, will tap into our other oil resources and LOWER the price of GAS...

PEOPLE, we are in a recession. DO SOMETHING about it.....DON'T FUEL UP FOR THE NEXT 4 BUSINESS DAYS if possible....SPREAD THIS NEWS....

DIVIDED WE ARE NOTHING.....TOGETHER WE CAN STAND AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

WITHOUT TRUCKER'S.....AMERICA STOPS>>>

THINK ABOUT IT......WHO BRINGS TOOTHPASTE< ORANGES< PAPER< FOOD to GROCERY STORES<<<< ALL ACROSS AMERICA.

TRUCK-DRIVER'S!!!!!!!

CHECK OUT THIS LINK and RE-POST THIS TODAY!

http://profile. myspace. com/index. cfm?fuseaction=user. viewprofile&friendid=288836618

smartguy911
03-31-2008, 11:02 PM
how many independent truckers exist? From what i see on roads, most trucks belong to big companies.

Working Poor
04-01-2008, 02:54 AM
I live right next to a freeway exit and usually this time of morning I hear lots of trucks. I did not know about the strike until just now but, I did notice the quite. Truckers do stick together. They might actually get a message out.

libertythor
04-01-2008, 03:03 AM
Show your support for the strike in this trucker's forum.

No going in just to say "Ron Paul 2008". Just show support, and discuss the issues.

http://www.thetruckersreport.com/truckingindustryforum/truckers-strike-forum/

thuja
04-01-2008, 05:59 AM

No going in just to say "Ron Paul 2008". Just show support, and discuss the issues.

THANKS!

acptulsa
04-01-2008, 06:27 AM
how many independent truckers exist? From what i see on roads, most trucks belong to big companies.

There aren't a whole lot of independent truckers per se. Even many of those have small companies with a couple of drivers and a few trucks (including the one the owner drives). There are a whole lot of owner operators, and many of them lease onto big companies. These companies secure the loads, provide the trailers and do the dispatching. Since the value of the trucks varies and almost all have more than liability coverage, this expense is on the owner, as is fuel. Big companies buy thier diesel in bulk and get a fat discount--they're even likely to buy at a given moment (contractually) and lock in a price. Not the owner operators--they don't have the buying power to do this trick.

thuja
04-01-2008, 06:34 AM
support these truckers, and also do not buy ANYTHING.

acptulsa
04-01-2008, 06:42 AM
support these truckers, and also do not buy ANYTHING.

What if it comes by rail? I don't think there's one anti-American thing about railroads, unless you believe the consolidations have left too little competition (with two in the east and two in the west)...

thuja
04-01-2008, 06:47 AM
What if it comes by rail? I don't think there's one anti-American thing about railroads, unless you believe the consolidations have left too little competition (with two in the east and two in the west)...

i am not going to take time finding out if something came by rail. i am ust not buying ANYTHING. anyway, it likely was taken by truck from the rail shipment, on to wherever. i have not seen railroad tracks at most loading docks.

LittleLightShining
04-01-2008, 06:47 AM
I joined and posted. What a fancy forum that is!

DAFTEK
04-01-2008, 08:12 AM
Well them Truckers on that forum are supporting McPain for president, they are voting for Bush #3 and they are bitching about diesel prices? They are pro war most of them, they have it coming.....

Also they can save some fuel if they slow the fuk down, I'm sick of these speed freaks on the road, not all but lots of them truckers are out of control....

Highstreet
04-01-2008, 08:55 AM
http://www.wsmv.com/money/15749952/detail.html?rss=nash&psp=news

From the truckers, this isn't a "strike". It's a shutdown to bring attention to the fact that they are taxed Multiple times for the same fuel (ie every time they cross a state line).

It is 18,000 plus trucks and companies at last count. I guess we will see if there are enough to send a message today.

clintontj72
04-01-2008, 09:22 AM

I created a forum account and am verbally supporting them. These guys are REALLY hurting....the economy is slowly grinding to a halt...fasten your belts...it's going to get worse before it gets better I'd bet.

UnReconstructed
04-01-2008, 10:03 AM
Driver's are to finicky. This kind of thing happens every couple of years. Usually a flyer at a truckstop. This thing will capture maybe 2000 trucks nationwide. Freight isn't going to stop. If an o/o won't haul the freight then there's a thousand carriers that will.

No one with any sense would participate in something like this if the companies aren't going to stop. If the wheels aren't turning then the truck is a liability rather than an asset. Now, you shut down for three days and after that, where are you going to work? Your customer base is more than likely going to go with the carrier that bailed them out.

Freight isn't going to stop.

acptulsa
04-01-2008, 10:08 AM

You have a very sound point, but there are a lot of owner operators out there--a lot--and I think if they hold out long enough, we'll feel it a little. Anyway, they're getting some attention, and they need and deserve it.

Paying fuel taxes in multiple states is the kind of barrier to free trade between the states that the federal government used to feel a Constitutional duty to restrict. And I, for one, believe it squarely against the spirit of the Constitution.

clintontj72
04-01-2008, 10:12 AM
Driver's are to finicky. This kind of thing happens every couple of years. Usually a flyer at a truckstop. This thing will capture maybe 2000 trucks nationwide. Freight isn't going to stop. If an o/o won't haul the freight then there's a thousand carriers that will.

No one with any sense would participate in something like this if the companies aren't going to stop. If the wheels aren't turning then the truck is a liability rather than an asset. Now, you shut down for three days and after that, where are you going to work? Your customer base is more than likely going to go with the carrier that bailed them out.

I agree...they need to use guerrilla tactics. Minimum speed is 45mph on Freeways I believe. They need to still haul, but go 48 mph and drive side by side. They will first off save fuel, second still haul and make money, three slow down all the coporate trucks as well, and fourth piss off the public.

Pissing off the public would actually work. They need to put signs on the back of their trucks telling people "If you want us to speed up...call your State Reps, Federal Senators and Congressman, and the Governor to lower fuel taxes and do something about inflation".

They would not be breaking the law...and yes...it would be annoying. However, small groups of them could have huge effects. That would work a whole lot better than parking for 1-3 days.

LittleLightShining
04-01-2008, 10:20 AM
I agree...they need to use guerrilla tactics. Minimum speed is 45mph on Freeways I believe. They need to still haul, but go 48 mph and drive side by side. They will first off save fuel, second still haul and make money, three slow down all the coporate trucks as well, and fourth piss off the public.

Pissing off the public would actually work. They need to put signs on the back of their trucks telling people "If you want us to speed up...call your State Reps, Federal Senators and Congressman, and the Governor to lower fuel taxes and do something about inflation".

They would not be breaking the law...and yes...it would be annoying. However, small groups of them could have huge effects. That would work a whole lot better than parking for 1-3 days.
That's a really good idea.

DAFTEK
04-01-2008, 10:26 AM

I have seen way to many insurance claims and dead people to agree with this stupid post! Trucks kill at any speed, they will kill more people at higher speeds! 80,000+ pounds is hard to stop or control..... If they mandate truckers to do 55mph it could save allot of life's and allot of fuel. I for one don't mind if we get less drivers out of this and more rail usage. Local truckers will always be there anyway!

clintontj72
04-01-2008, 10:48 AM
I have seen way to many insurance claims and dead people to agree with this stupid post! Trucks kill at any speed, they will kill more people at higher speeds! 80,000+ pounds is hard to stop or control..... If they mandate truckers to do 55mph it could save allot of life's and allot of fuel. I for one don't mind if we get less drivers out of this and more rail usage. Local truckers will always be there anyway!

What are you talking about? You quote my post that states that they should go 48mph and then you go off on a rant about Trucks kill and they should slow down. Huh? I was advocating that they slow down, which saves gas like you mentioned.

I agree that rail could be used more...rail is really good like you point out.

Bobby Johnson
04-01-2008, 11:34 AM
Trucks kill at any speed, they will kill more people at higher speeds! 80,000+ pounds is hard to stop or control..... If they mandate truckers to do 55mph it could save allot of life's and allot of fuel. I for one don't mind if we get less drivers out of this and more rail usage.

There ARE speed limits now. I live in Indiana and the speed limit for commercial truckers is 60. Over in Ohio, its 55. Truckers are just like regular drivers, they ignore the speed limit. I'm sure there are things I am not fully aware of such as pressure to haul freight in the least amount of time. Added to this, truckers are not allowed to drive more than 11 hours per day as mandated by the federal government. Violate this rule and the penalties can be stiff.

It's like a big catch 22. Slow down to save fuel, move less freight, possibly lose business, speed up to move more freight, make more money, trucks have poorer fuel economy. Slow down to save fuel........

DAFTEK
04-01-2008, 12:43 PM
What are you talking about? You quote my post that states that they should go 48mph and then you go off on a rant about Trucks kill and they should slow down. Huh? I was advocating that they slow down, which saves gas like you mentioned.

I agree that rail could be used more...rail is really good like you point out.

Ahh, my bad :p I was reading it as if you wore advocating it that if they slow down then they would piss off 4whellers.... I don't think anyone would be pissed of if they slow down for the so many reasons....

angelatc
04-01-2008, 12:54 PM

There's a big hub-bub about the railroad here. A Canadian firm wants to buy some tracks, which would increase rail traffic quite a bit (if you believe the opposition.) Of course, an increase in rail traffic means more traffic snarls.

And there's no promises from the company that the socialized public transportation trains wold be allowed continued access, either.

http://snurl.com/236v5 [www_chicagotribune_com]

:) I love a good drama.

acptulsa
04-01-2008, 01:04 PM
:) I love a good drama.

That's sad and funny all at once. My how our subsidation of highways, roadways and oil have screwed up the free market! Commuter trains should be able to pay for themselves, though such a nation would not be the one we know...

So, we want a free market where the Canadian National can buy us up, but we want to be able to force them to do certain things for us in exchange. Is this an argument for or against the NAU? Certainly it seems to indicate we aren't as ready for it as the neocons think we are. One of the problems with letting them shove the NAU down our throats is they just never seem to think things through before they act...

angelatc
04-01-2008, 01:09 PM
That's sad and funny all at once. My how our subsidation of highways, roadways and oil have screwed up the free market! Commuter trains should be able to pay for themselves, though such a nation would not be the one we know...

Sure! And because we have so many toll roads here, it would be easy to "force" people onto the trains by raising the fees on the roads if they wanted to. The mechanisms are in place to create true competition.

acptulsa
04-01-2008, 01:14 PM
Sure! And because we have so many toll roads here, it would be easy to "force" people onto the trains by raising the fees on the roads if they wanted to. The mechanisms are in place to create true competition.

True enough. Too bad the government have usurped both the toll roads and the passenger trains. No one else left to compete but government vs. government. Not much joy there, unfortunately.

soapmistress
04-01-2008, 03:59 PM
I heard on the AM radio here, on my way home from work on a CBS news report that the truckers are pulling over and/or driving at a crawling speed, several have been ticketed for obstructing traffic.

"In protest mostly started over the internet and CB radio..."

Phantom
04-02-2008, 10:26 AM
Truckers Clog New Jersey Turnpike in Price Protest (http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=apmoU8PTBjQ8&refer=us)