PDA

View Full Version : Chertoff grants S.C. Real ID extension

kirkblitz
03-31-2008, 05:58 PM
http://www.fcw.com/online/news/152087-1.html

The Homeland Security Department has given the state of South Carolina an extension for complying with new federal rules for state-issued driver’s licenses and identification cards despite the governor’s opposition to the Real ID program.

DHS Secretary Michael Chertoff granted the extension today in response to a letter from South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford in which Sanford said he did not plan to request an extension for Real ID compliance. But his list of the improvements that the state had made in ID security paved the way for DHS to grant an extension as it had with Montana and New Hampshire without those states agreeing to comply with the regulation.

Chertoff said that he would treat Sanford’s letter as the basis for an extension and grant it, avoiding what could have been a nasty showdown with angry travelers who would not have been able to use their state-issued IDs to board airplanes if the state did not request an extension.

“Indeed, based on your assurances, it seems clear that South Carolina is well on the way to meeting requirements comparable to those required by the final Real ID regulation,” Chertoff wrote. “I will therefore treat your letter as a basis for an extension and hereby grant it.”

Sanford’s letter, sent earlier today, in addition to detailing progress his state had made on securing its Department of Motor Vehicle systems, was also a critique of Real ID. He railed against the requirements as an unfunded mandate that could upset the balance of power between states and the federal government. He added that he thought the issues would be resolved or the law would be discarded in the next 18 months.

In his response Chertoff said that he appreciated Sanford’s feedback, but could not agree with his critiques particularly those involving the data sharing structure that would be set up. Chertoff also noted that Real ID does not create a national databases but builds on systems in place that have not produced large-scale data compromises that Sanford said he was concerned about.

Sanford said that real ID represented the creation of a national computer network of driver’s license databases that will effectively be a central depository for citizens' personal information — a concern because of all of the recent security breaches.

He also said that DHS had worked hard to address state’s funding concerns which Sanford also mentioned in his letter earlier in the day.

As of late this afternoon only Maine has not been granted an extension for Real ID compliance.

wow, im sure he will not use this as a way to lock us into the real ID and screw us down the line. I hope you burn in hell chertoff, your name does mean "devil" after all.

Kraig
04-01-2008, 09:25 AM
So Sanford says he doesn't want RealID in it's current form, DHS says it's fine in it's current form and they are going to treat his opposition as a request for an extension and grant him that extension.

This is huge power play and an attempt to use words to alter reality. By acting as if he requested an extension they are ignoring the reality of his opposition. They are acting as if he was seeking their agreement when he was doing the exact opposite of that.

Cowlesy
04-01-2008, 09:33 AM
I wish we had Governor Sanford here in NY.

LEK
04-01-2008, 12:14 PM
Well I live in SC and I would LOVE to know what the list of improvements was all about.
I think this is smoke and mirrors.