PDA

View Full Version : for people living in Houston

luvfreedom
03-31-2008, 11:52 AM
Which hotels are the closest to George R Brown convention center? My husband is a delegate to state and we want to book before they fill up.

TRosen75
03-31-2008, 12:55 PM
Try this link:

Hotels near the George R Brown Convention Center (http://reservations.hotel-guides.us/nexres/search/search_results.cgi?interstitial=done&avail=Y&bed_type=NP&src=10012876&address_lat_lng=+29.752825%2C-95.358161&max_distance=6&poi_name=Hotels+near+George+R.+Brown+Convention+Ce nter%2C+Houston%2C+Texas&smoking_pref=NP&tab=tab0&search_city_vicinity=1&t0_distance=10&chk_in=06%2F11%2F2008&doa_mm=06&doa_dd=11&doa_yy=2008&chk_out=06%2F14%2F2008&dod_mm=06&dod_dd=14&dod_yy=2008&num_adults=2&num_children=0&num_rooms=1&minorAge1=-%3F-&minorAge2=-%3F-&minorAge3=-%3F-&minorAge4=-%3F-&Go.x=79&Go.y=15&Go=Find+Hotels)

smithtg
03-31-2008, 12:57 PM
hilton americas is connnected to the convention center. The four seasons (much more $$) is pretty close to. After that the Hyatt, but its a good 10 blocks

http://www.downtownhouston.com/maps/dh.php

i have often booked hotels on priceline for very cheap in downtown (40-50 bucks). Just be wary that with priceline you may end up halfway across downtown (but still downtown) as well.

V4Vendetta
03-31-2008, 01:42 PM
hilton americas is connnected to the convention center. The four seasons (much more $$) is pretty close to. After that the Hyatt, but its a good 10 blocks

http://www.downtownhouston.com/maps/dh.php

i have often booked hotels on priceline for very cheap in downtown (40-50 bucks). Just be wary that with priceline you may end up halfway across downtown (but still downtown) as well.

Don't you even tell them about those hotels.....

Those hotels are outrageous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Like 100 or more per night!!!!!!!!!!
Look for hotels just outside of downtown like super8 or similar

jakedaniel
03-31-2008, 02:50 PM
Don't you even tell them about those hotels.....

Those hotels are outrageous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Like 100 or more per night!!!!!!!!!!
Look for hotels just outside of downtown like super8 or similar

You must not be from Houston. Houston is the largest city in the country with no zoning laws. Which means that it's spread way out and you have to drive everywhere. There are nice parts, but they're seperated by miles and miles of urban wasteland. Public transit is unreliable at best, and it's near impossible to flag a taxi from the side of the road unless you are in the small downtown area, cabs are radio dispatched and can cost a small fortune if you have to go from your "cheap" motel near one of the airports all the way downtown every day for the convention. There are a lot of motels just outside downtown, but they are in the Wards, or near the Port, and they're real cheap and real close to downtown but they're full of hookers and crack fiends.

I know what I'm talking about. Either get a hotel downtown, (and there are PLENTY of them), and pay the 100 bucks a night. Or stay out by the Galleria and take taxis or hotel shuttles downtown every morning. You could also save some cash by staying at the motels by the Medical Center and Reliant and the Astrodome and taking the MetroRail train from the med center to downtown, I think it only costs a dollar each way. They have some pretty cheap hotels out there.

Just remember to check out tho original Ninfa's restaurant on Navigation. Just outside of Downtown and a 5 dollar cabride at the most from GRB conv center and a lot better food than you'll get at the 4 seasons or the Hilton. If you guys need recommendations for bars, museums, strip clubs, or other things that convention members like to do, let me know. I got out of the Army in '03, and drove a cab in Houston till last year when I decided to go back to school.

Ready2Revolt
03-31-2008, 03:38 PM
You must not be from Houston. Houston is the largest city in the country with no zoning laws. Which means that it's spread way out and you have to drive everywhere. There are nice parts, but they're seperated by miles and miles of urban wasteland. Public transit is unreliable at best, and it's near impossible to flag a taxi from the side of the road unless you are in the small downtown area, cabs are radio dispatched and can cost a small fortune if you have to go from your "cheap" motel near one of the airports all the way downtown every day for the convention. There are a lot of motels just outside downtown, but they are in the Wards, or near the Port, and they're real cheap and real close to downtown but they're full of hookers and crack fiends.

I know what I'm talking about. Either get a hotel downtown, (and there are PLENTY of them), and pay the 100 bucks a night. Or stay out by the Galleria and take taxis or hotel shuttles downtown every morning. You could also save some cash by staying at the motels by the Medical Center and Reliant and the Astrodome and taking the MetroRail train from the med center to downtown, I think it only costs a dollar each way. They have some pretty cheap hotels out there.

Just remember to check out tho original Ninfa's restaurant on Navigation. Just outside of Downtown and a 5 dollar cabride at the most from GRB conv center and a lot better food than you'll get at the 4 seasons or the Hilton. If you guys need recommendations for bars, museums, strip clubs, or other things that convention members like to do, let me know. I got out of the Army in '03, and drove a cab in Houston till last year when I decided to go back to school.

Everything this guy posts is true, when things get closer maybe we could form some carpools because I only have 1 person in my car.

Brown Sapper
03-31-2008, 03:44 PM
My bro is a houston delegate and he will probably help out with the ride situation. We might be able to put some people in our house for the convention but his girl (adamant McCain supporter) might put a stop to it. Anywho I believe it will pan out as the day get closer.

weslinder
03-31-2008, 03:56 PM
Closest hotel that isn't ridiculously priced is the Holiday Inn Express near the Toyota Center. It's within walking distance of the George R. Brown.

Bryan
03-31-2008, 04:54 PM
Keep in mind that the Texas GOP has booked rooms at a discount for delegates as specified here:
http://www.texasgop.org/site/DocServer/PARTICIPATING_IN_THE_CONVENTION_PROCESS.pdf?docID= 3581

Edit- if you have your own car (like I'd expect many would) then staying outside the loop may work well, particularly if you're staying in an area that you'll want to be in the evening.

luvfreedom
04-01-2008, 08:15 PM
Thanks everyone! Lots of great recommendations and advice. I was afraid to wait for the packet with the list and discounts because everything might fill up real fast. The Hilton Americas was already booked and they did not know if that was because of a reserved block for the Republican convention. I went ahead and booked a room elsewhere where I can cancel if something better comes along.

Zera
04-01-2008, 08:17 PM
Ehh... Was wondering... Would it be possible to get delegates who don't support Paul to... erm... Get "lost" on the way to the convention?

Cowlesy
04-01-2008, 08:57 PM
bump for grassroots question