PDA

View Full Version : Sanford says no to the real id!

kirkblitz
03-31-2008, 09:34 AM
http://www.thestate.com/breaking/story/361101.html

Governor: South Carolina will not file extension for Real ID
The Associated Press

COLUMBIA, S.C. --South Carolina Governor Mark Sanford says he will not ask the federal government for more time to comply with new driver license standards.

The decision means South Carolinians may not be allowed to board airplanes or enter some federal facilities using only their state-issued driver's licenses. They'd have to use a passport or go through more rigorous screening.

Sanford's decision came on the deadline to ask for more time to comply with the law. The state Legislature last year passed a measure that bars South Carolina from complying. Sanford and other governors have complained the Real ID measure costs too much.

The Real ID law calls for more secure identification cards in the wake of the 2001 terror attacks. Sanford says South Carolina already meets all but a couple of the standards

Yay!

XNavyNuke
03-31-2008, 11:40 AM
So Gov. Sanford had decided to fish. Let's see if Herr Chertoff decides to cut bait or call SC's bluff.

XNN

New York For Paul
03-31-2008, 11:47 AM

The Associated Press

COLUMBIA, S.C. --South Carolina Governor Mark Sanford says he will not ask the federal government for more time to comply with new driver license standards.

The decision means South Carolinians may not be allowed to board airplanes or enter some federal facilities using only their state-issued driver's licenses. They'd have to use a passport or go through more rigorous screening.

Sanford's decision came on the deadline to ask for more time to comply with the law. The state Legislature last year passed a measure that bars South Carolina from complying. Sanford and other governors have complained the Real ID measure costs too much.

The Real ID law calls for more secure identification cards in the wake of the 2001 terror attacks. Sanford says South Carolina already meets all but a couple of the standards

Yay!

Passports are probably more compromised than the driver licenses at this point. Even the Secretary of State is concerned about passports no longer being safe.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/article/20080328/NATION/44069350

New York For Paul
03-31-2008, 11:50 AM

The Associated Press

Yay!

Passports are probably more compromised than the driver licenses at this point. Even the Secretary of State is concerned about passports no longer being safe.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/article/20080328/NATION/44069350

The State Department spokesmen claim the passports are safe, but the company that makes the passports has filed court documents stating that Chinese Communists stole their company secrets.

Chinese Spy ring infiltrates the company making the passports. Doh!
http://www.washingtontimes.com/article/20080326/NATION/840186493

And of course they use Fed Ex to transport blank passports instead of using amored trucks.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/article/20080328/EDITORIAL/431268530

Sandra
03-31-2008, 11:51 AM
I wonder if Bibby Jindal will reject Real ID in Louisiana.

Bruno
03-31-2008, 12:07 PM
I'd happily comply with "more rigorous screening" as an alternative to the REAL ID any day!

kirkblitz
03-31-2008, 02:22 PM
so since all states have filed for an extension or received a waiver at this point except SC and Maine that officially makes us the 2 most awesomest states.

JaylieWoW
03-31-2008, 02:27 PM
I'd happily comply with "more rigorous screening" as an alternative to the REAL ID any day!

I'm kind of curious what exactly "more rigorous" would amount to when you consider some of the current horror stories.

ItsTime
03-31-2008, 02:30 PM
When is a state going to step up and say, if our citizens can not board a plan with their state ID no planes are allowed in our air space?

kirkblitz
03-31-2008, 02:36 PM
http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/files/letterf033108realidletterdhs1.pdf

this is Sanford's letter to the DHS, you you read it he rails against the FED government and says that this is really about the government forcing its will on states ( unfunded mandates) and how they are becoming a threat to liberty in America. Its a really good read.

crazyfingers
03-31-2008, 02:39 PM
When is a state going to step up and say, if our citizens can not board a plan with their state ID no planes are allowed in our air space?

Well aside from the economic impracticalities of such a plan, is this even technically possible? From the Wikipedia article on "air rights":

In the United States, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has the sole authority to control all airspace, exclusively determining the rules and requirements for its use.

kirkblitz
03-31-2008, 03:14 PM
how would they even patrol their own airspace? Im sure the states air national guard if it isnt deployed in iraq would probbaly listen to the fed goverment and ignore their govenors.

ItsTime
03-31-2008, 03:18 PM
I know it could not be done, but to have a state say something like that would send a message.

Well aside from the economic impracticalities of such a plan, is this even technically possible? From the Wikipedia article on "air rights":

RSLudlum
03-31-2008, 07:23 PM
My favorite part of the letter is on Page 4, paragraph 3.

"Our greatest homeland security is liberty, and yet, based on the history of civilizations, its biggest threat is found in a central government that is too powerful...."

read it here:
http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/files/letterf033108realidletterdhs1.pdf

mtmedlin
03-31-2008, 07:37 PM
I'm kind of curious what exactly "more rigorous" would amount to when you consider some of the current horror stories.

I believe it involves coughing.

WarDog
03-31-2008, 08:51 PM
Send an Email to thank him let them know were here

Cowlesy
03-31-2008, 08:58 PM
I am ready to write a check for $2,300 to set aside for when he runs for President so I can be the first to make a contribution.

Thanks for having a pair, Governor Sanford.

kirkblitz
03-31-2008, 09:19 PM
its a shame sanford said he would never run for another office again. I would vote him in anytime i every can. He makes me proud to be a south carolinian, our spinless legislature and senate both asked him to file for an extention EVEN THOUGH not less then a year ago they both passed a law saying not to follow the REAL ID.

Cowlesy
03-31-2008, 09:24 PM
I loved this paragraph:

Fourth, REAL ID represents another step against a limited federal government. Our greatest homeland security is liberty and, yet, based on the history of civilizations, its biggest threat is found in a central government that is too powerful. Our founding fathers were explicit in reserving first to individuals, then to states, all powers that were not expressly delegated to the federal government. As mentioned, they did this because they considered the biggest thread to liberty a large federal government and, as a consequence, they put in place checks on its prerogative -- one of the greatest of which is the power of individual states. REAL ID upsets the balance of power between the federal government and the states by coercing the states into creating a national ID system for federal purposes. Given its requirement to board a plane or enter a federal building, it would also change the balance of power in something as seemingly insignificant as a visit to a member of Congress. As a former member of the U.S. Congress, I had countless meetings with constituents whose personal details I knew nothing about -- and this was a good thing. Their background was not the issue, my stand on a given matter was. The First Amendment guarantees Americans the right to assemble and petition their government, and in it there has never been a qualification that said, "Only if you have a REAL ID card." On this, I think it would be best to let the Founding Fathers original work stand.

RSLudlum
03-31-2008, 09:39 PM
its a shame sanford said he would never run for another office again. I would vote him in anytime i every can. He makes me proud to be a south carolinian, our spinless legislature and senate both asked him to file for an extention EVEN THOUGH not less then a year ago they both passed a law saying not to follow the REAL ID.

+SC!!! :D

What gets me is that many Republicans highly respect him even though he has some libertarian leanings like RP (actually served in congress with RP and voted with RP on many issues), but doesn't get tagged like RP. Hell there's even been alot of talk about a Sanford as a VP for McWar, probably bc. of his 'fiscally conservative' record. I received this email from his office last month:

Now that the South Carolina Republican primary is over, I am finally turning my attention to all the folks, including you, who contacted Governor Sanford about which candidate they felt he should support. As you probably know, the Governor did not endorse anyone. This was not because he was without preference (although he did not share his preference with me), but because endorsing someone, in his book, means going "all out" to work for victory, which includes making speeches and going to other states among other things. With our legislative session under way, and with so many crucial issues to face like tougher DUI laws, immigration reform, controlling state spending, eliminating waste, and improving our education system, to mention just a few, Governor Sanford believed he would be stretching himself too thin to go on the road supporting a GOP candidate. His concern was that it would hurt his efforts here, and his commitment is to this administration. Thanks for taking the time to write.

Sincerely,

Tom Davis
Chief of Staff

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/gfx_RedWhiteBlue/icons/icon14.gif for a man finishing the job he was put in office to do!!

Cowlesy
04-01-2008, 09:33 AM
bump

RSLudlum
04-02-2008, 05:58 PM
SC Gov. Mark Sanford press conference on Real ID

google video here (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8900786642596130813&q=%22mark+sanford%22&total=62&start=0&num=10&so=1&type=search&plindex=0)