PDA

View Full Version : More shoddy journalism...please write in

Question_Authority
08-19-2007, 10:43 PM
There was an article in the Foster's Daily Democrat (Dover) about the Strafford Straw Poll. NO MENTION of the straw poll results!! Unbelievable.
The closest they got to indicating that Ron Paul stole the show was that he received the "loudest ovation". Hmmmm.

I am going to be emailing the writer, the Sunday editor and the managing editor to politely ask why this important aspect of the story was ignored.

Won't you join me?

Article:
http://fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070819/NEWS81/708190020

Managing editor: Mary Pat Rowland mprowland@fosters.com (mprowland@fosters.com)

Sunday editor: Erika Stetson Sunday@fosters.com

Writer: Aaron Sanborn. (I cannot find an email address for him, but I am going to guess that it is asanborn@fosters.com (asanborn@fosters.com))

Here is my letter to the editor:

Your article entitled “GOP contenders picnic with Strafford County faithful” published on Sunday the 19th, was not an accurate portrayal of the picnic, as it completely ignored the fact that a major feature of this event was a straw poll. I think it quite newsworthy that Huckabee, whom you mentioned prominently at the beginning of the article, and who won 2nd place at the Iowa Straw Poll, lost to Ron Paul in an overwhelming landslide at this straw poll.

Ron Paul received 208 votes, while Huckabee received 20. Ron Paul was swamped with supporters for almost 2 hours after completing his speech, while Huckabee slipped away unnoticed after his. The only indication you made regarding Paul’s popularity was that he “received the loudest ovation”. More accurately, the crowd was uproarious, giving 10-12 loud ovations during his speech, chanting his name at the beginning and end of the speech.

In addition, tickets cost $20 per person, meaning Ron Paul supporters alone raised over $4000 for this small county committee. The Ron Paul campaign did not offer to pay for tickets or transportation to entice votes, so this was a supporter-generated turnout.

None of this was reported in your article, yet somehow you found space to reference the Michael Vick case? Something is wrong here.

trispear
08-19-2007, 10:58 PM
Be nice, they put our guy in a good light. Remember everyone, the CARROT and the STICK!

In addition, tickets cost $20 per person, meaning Ron Paul supporters alone raised over $4000 for this small county committee. The Ron Paul campaign did not offer to pay for tickets or transportation to entice votes, so this was a supporter-generated turnout.

I DIDN'T KNOW THIS! More ammo against the neo-cons deriding his victory over at the Hannity boards!:D Too bad I'm banned:p

robatsu
08-19-2007, 10:58 PM
Here is what I sent:

Sirs,

While I appreciate the coverage you afforded to Ron Paul in your recent article on the Strafford County GOP Picnic, I feel that the article had a glaring omission.

That is, a major feature of the picnic was a fund raising straw poll. I believe that a reasoned coverage of this picnic would have included that such a poll was taken and what the results were. Even more so when the results were a rather unexpected landslide victory for Congressman Paul. Is there any journalistic reason to omit this, but to include the Vick minutiae?

Thank you,

Jay Roberts
Silver Spring, MD

ctb619
08-19-2007, 11:01 PM
done

hatefalseweight
08-19-2007, 11:03 PM
Thanks for bringing that to light, emailed a request for a correction.

Chuck

Horatio_Bunce
08-20-2007, 12:04 AM
This letter was sent to all concerned parties:

Dear Editor,

On Sunday, your publication ran a piece titled “GOP contenders picnic with Strafford County faithful.”

I wish to inquire as to why there was no mention of the straw poll conducted at this event and the landslide victory of Dr. Ron Paul in this poll.

Certainly, I do not intend to question your journalistic integrity in the matter.

My concern is the fact that you highlighted Huckabee in your article, while relegating Dr. Paul to a minor mention in this article. Dr. Paul received a total of 208 votes in this straw poll, while Mr. Huckabee received only 20. There was a tremendous response by the local community to the message of Dr. Paul at the picnic that qualifies as something more than "the loudest ovation."

I'm looking for an answer as to why this particular article was written in such a lopsided fashion, highlighting the loser of the poll as opposed to the winner.

Dr. Paul has proven to be an electable candidate whose integrity and values are firmly based in the principles that afford us the free press we enjoy today.

Won't you please make it clear to your readers that Dr. Paul did in fact emerge as the victor in this poll, which raised a substantial amount of supporter-driven funds for a local community organization?

I eagerly await your response in regard to this matter.

Sincerely,

Mr. Horatio Bunce

specsaregood
08-20-2007, 12:58 AM
Friendly, informative email sent.

Spirit of '76
08-20-2007, 05:43 AM
Good letters, folks!

We're just hitting our stride in dealing with this stuff. :)

Question_Authority
08-20-2007, 10:16 AM
Thanks everyone, let's keep it rollin'

robatsu
08-20-2007, 01:50 PM
I sent something yesterdy, wondering if anyone got a response, I didn't.