PDA

View Full Version : Katrina victims may have to repay money

dirtyp
03-30-2008, 09:15 PM
NEW ORLEANS - Imagine that your home was reduced to mold-covered wood framing by Hurricane Katrina. Desperate for money to rebuild, you engage in a frustrating bureaucratic process, and after months of living in a government provided-trailer that gives off formaldehyde fumes you finally win a federal grant.

Then a collector announces that you have to pay back thousands of dollars.

For thousands of Katrina victims, this may be a reality.

A private contractor under investigation for the compensation it received to run the Road Home grant program for Katrina victims says that in the rush to deliver aid to homeowners in need some people got too much. Now it wants to hire a separate company to collect millions in grant overpayments.
http://waronyou.blogspot.com/2008/03/katrina-victims-may-have-to-repay-money.html

pappy
03-30-2008, 09:49 PM
i know this will not be popular. I feel bad for these people, but everyone needs to wake up and read the writing on the wall. You cannot depend on the government. The sooner you learn this the better off you will be. Don't count on them. pay them what you owe when you can and do everything (and I mean anything and everything in your power to escape their clutches).

I live outside of New orleans in Baton rouge and grew up in New Orleans. Dependency on the gov't put most of these people in the situation in which they found themselves. They don't want to admit that but it is true. Now many are going right back to the trough to sign up for more. And yes they will get more of the same and worse if they continue to rely on the government.

No, I am not heartless. I see the tragedy and helped many of the people following the storm (and still do). But.. It breaks my heart to see them going back to the same dry well for further heartache to come. Wake up people. get some pride. Do for yourself. Stand up and kick that abusing significant other out of your life for good and start anew. You can do it no matter what the powers that be say. You will feel so much better to get this monkey off your back.

But how would I live without help? But this. But that. But. But. But. It is going to be a cold dangerous time when the have nots realize that no one is coming to help them any more and they have to do for themselves. The only way I can see out of this conundrum is to encourage everyone to get off the gov't teat. If we cannot do this we are doomed to unpleasant times. And no the have nots and teatsuckers will not be the only ones that suffer. We will all suffer. Even the prepared who run and hide. The prepared will still suffer the burden (Just as they did in the new orleans area) except a very elite few.

We must do all we can to change peoples attitude toward the government. Sometimes I feel desperate that we have waited to late to avoid harsh realities.

pappy