PDA

View Full Version : Newspeak: "Troops" vs "Soldiers"

H Roark
03-30-2008, 08:53 PM
I forgot what her name was, but the lady who was being interviewed by Bill Moyers before Ron Paul a couple months back brought this interesting point up. Have you noticed the recent use of the word troops has come to supplant the word soldiers?

Apparently some establishment PR person thought this convenient because "troop" really means a group of soldiers. So when the nightly newscaster speaks of "X troops were killed today in (insert Iraqi city)" By using the word troops, it strips the soldiers from their individuality and thus subconsciously creates less of an impact upon whoever is hearing this.

rpfreedom08
03-31-2008, 05:54 AM
makes sense.

Free Moral Agent
10-20-2009, 09:07 PM
bump for good insight.

brandon
10-20-2009, 09:10 PM
Interesting observation.

Our opponents are really masters of language. I think that is why they have been consistently beating us.

coyote_sprit
10-20-2009, 09:15 PM
Most people think that a troop is one soldiers nowadays it would seem.

Interesting observation.

Our opponents are really masters of language. I think that is why they have been consistently beating us.

You mean it's not because they are Joos?

tangent4ronpaul
10-21-2009, 03:42 AM
It could also be to distract away from our use of contractors. Private soldiers vs gvmt soldiers - both are "troops".

-t

Bodhi
10-21-2009, 08:18 AM
The word soldier is used for those who serve in the Army. Try calling a Marine a soldier and you will be quickly corrected. Troops is used to refer to a member of the military but not any particular branch.

virgil47
10-21-2009, 09:53 AM
The word soldier is used for those who serve in the Army. Try calling a Marine a soldier and you will be quickly corrected. Troops is used to refer to a member of the military but not any particular branch.

This person speaks the truth.

Free Moral Agent
10-21-2009, 12:46 PM

Yes, because I'm sure thats why your local news anchor uses the word troops to refer to regular soldiers KIA... :rolleyes: I would think they have enough information to be able to make that distinction - reverting to calling all members of the military as troops is too easy for them.

However, you're wrong about troop(s) referring to a single member of the military...

Websters Dictionary

Main Entry: 1troop
Pronunciation: \ˈtrüp\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle French trope, troupe company, herd, of Germanic origin; akin to Old English thorp, throp village — more at thorp
Date: 1545

1 a : a group of soldiers b : a cavalry unit corresponding to an infantry company c plural : armed forces, soldiers

Icymudpuppy
10-21-2009, 02:32 PM
The word troop is primarily used officially to designate a cavalry or armored tank unit of approximately 60 men led by a Captain (paygrade O-3) and a First Sergeant (paygrade E-8). If 3 troops were killed, that's a hell of a lot of men.

To be used to designate an individual, the word "Trooper" is more appropriate.

heavenlyboy34
10-21-2009, 02:48 PM
Interesting observation.

I don't think they are, but they do hire people who are masters of the language to do their bidding using FRNs extorted from the citizenry. :mad:

axiomata
10-21-2009, 04:19 PM
But isn't troops just a plural of trooper as soldiers is the plural of soldier?

Promontorium
10-21-2009, 05:56 PM
But isn't troops just a plural of trooper as soldiers is the plural of soldier?

Trooper is a term for one person, so there is a singular form. But trooper stems from troop, not the other way around. Basically trooper creates a singular from the plural, sort of the opposite of soldier(s).

I always heard the term "troops" used in the media, during Bush's entire presidency. I wasn't paying attention before then, because I wasn't in the military.

I definitely took note if they said soldier for anyone other than Army. The term "Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, and Marines" (or in any other order) is often used to encompass the whole military (they always leave out Coasties).

There may definitely be specific uses of terms by specific media personnel, or stations, but I don't think there's been any major media shift overall.

Remember when some TV stations stopped using the term "Suicide-Bombers" and called them "Homicide-Bombers"? I don't know if they still do, but it is a good example of an entire media switching terms for psychologica/sociological reasons (apparently the AP still uses the term, which is stupid, the term is redundant).

The airline industry changes the name of its plane waitresses every couple decades or so, Hostess-->Stewardess --> Flight Attendant --> Cabin Crew or Airline Staff (that's right, flight attendant is already out!)