PDA

View Full Version : Could we start our own island nation?

RonPaulCult
03-30-2008, 11:12 AM
I just got a friend invite on myspace from a guy with an interesting idea:

I'm doing an experiment. I will be attempting to peacefully set up a brand new libertarian nation somewhere outside of the United States. Perhaps, on a warm tropical island for all to enjoy. There will be no IRS or Federal Reserve either. We won't waste money joining the United Nations. Come and join us for the ride!

I would hate to leave the US and give up trying to make a difference from within but most of the time I feel like it's too late for this country. Also we all know much worse times are upon us. It's likely these hard times will cause many of us leave anyway.

So what if some of us - or even many of us - leave together and go to the same place?

Is there anywhere on earth we could run to and have as our own?

Maybe it's just a silly dream in my head but I figure if the grassroots can purchase a blimp and start our own media company - why not take a look at doing this project?

DeadtoSin
03-30-2008, 11:15 AM
I think there has been some talk on the forums of it. Its not something I'm really interested in it, but to each his own.

Roxi
03-30-2008, 11:22 AM
there are already plans being made by a pretty large group of serious people... we definitely could use help...

please join us at http://www.libertyisland.tk/

this is the discussion forum for the island

thanks

BKom
03-30-2008, 11:47 AM
New country movements are not a new phenomenon. The most recent libertarian attempt was, I think, the Atlantis Project. They had some very nice literature and a bold mission statement. And that's as far as it ever got.

You'll find that every piece of dry land on the planet has been claimed by some country or other. And even land created out of ocean silt has been claimed. The King of Tonga attacked one island project that was scraped off the bottom of the ocean far beyond his country, to claim dominion. Then he allowed it to dissipate back into the water until it was gone.

I wish it could work. And I wish unicorns would appear and whisk me away to that new libertarian island. And I wish Ron really had wanted to be president. I could go on, but I'm getting all weepy.

nc4rp
03-30-2008, 12:05 PM
ARE YOU CRAZY? get all Paul supporters in one place at one time in a spot distant from them? Theyd drop a bomb on us with a HUGE, salivating smile on their faces.