PDA

View Full Version : The takeover at SD-25

ronpaulbillboards
03-29-2008, 09:04 PM
Well after 10 hours of "Ye's", "Nay's", "standing counts", "points of inquiry", "motion to amend", "division", "I call into question" "your out of order!", and finally a "motion to adjourn"; the Ron Paul Republicans took over all convention chairs, the Nomination committee, the Resolution committee. Then proceeded to pass the Resolutions that we had drawn up in committee after several hours of arguments over some big and small changes in wording or whole sections. Then succeeded with the nominations of a heavy percentage of RP Rep. to be state delegates. Of which I made the trip to Houston:D.
So I can say this we won today at a local level and shook up the base that has been in power here for 30 years at least. We got our guys in the committee chair positions, passed the resolutions that we wrote up and sent our guys to Houston to be delegates.
There was so much fireworks involved with these people losing power you had to be there to see this. It was amazing, it was a 110 to 96 vote that made the difference in the takeover. Can't wait to hear what happened elsewhere around Texas.

Pedro TT
03-29-2008, 09:06 PM
Holy shit. This is the greatest thing I have read in months. You guys are true patriots!

menoname
03-29-2008, 09:07 PM
hahaha, like the title. Great job.

A Ron Paul Rebel
03-29-2008, 09:08 PM
B-E-A-utiful!!! :eek::D:)

Cowlesy
03-29-2008, 09:08 PM
*am pounding waterford glass desk screaming *HELL YES* to my brothers in TEXAS*

GREAT JOB!!!!!!

ronpaulbillboards
03-29-2008, 09:11 PM
This went on for 10 hours! It started at 9am, these people went crazy when we took it over you had to be there to see it. There might be video of this, the old committee stormed off the stage and took the flowers that were on the table and all the decorations around it like the red, white and blue runner at the front of the table. It was insane! Then to get some of there amendments or changes passed they started trying to quote and use Ron Paul to justify their argument. Unbelievable we are going to state and I have no clue what's going to happen with all these RP delegates

Cowlesy
03-29-2008, 09:17 PM
This went on for 10 hours! It started at 9am, these people went crazy when we took it over you had to be there to see it. There might be video of this, the old committee stormed off the stage and took the flowers that were on the table and all the decorations around it like the red, white and blue runner at the front of the table. It was insane! Then to get some of there amendments or changes passed they started trying to quote and use Ron Paul to justify their argument. Unbelievable we are going to state and I have no clue what's going to happen with all these RP delegates

To ronpaulbillboards: Thank you for being a Citizen.

No fucking surrender.

ronpaulbillboards
03-29-2008, 09:18 PM
One of the 1st changes to the Texas Republican Platform that we changed was to remove this statement from Commendations:

"President. We salute President George W. Bush for his leadership of our nation in this time of war. He has our full support and prayers."

Stricken from the record!

Later someone tried to amend the resolution and add this back in and it was defeated again with verbal nays and a standing count!

And I'm in SD-25, I made a typo in the title. SD-14 is in north Austin.

kirkblitz
03-29-2008, 09:18 PM
haha they took their plants.

puppetmaster
03-29-2008, 09:19 PM
Nice job in getting delegates guys, very nice indeed!

MozoVote
03-29-2008, 09:19 PM
A common thread in successful conventions is the RP supporters digging in and refusing to leave. I will emphasize this at my next meetup.

ronpaulbillboards
03-29-2008, 09:28 PM
Yes, you have to stick it out which is hard but that's the only way to victory. Because even if you takeover the convention chairs the delegation can still vote down the nominations to state and the resolutions. For instance toward the end of ours, some guy gets up and wants to amend the Fair Tax to our section on ending the Federal Reserve and returning to the Gold standard and abolishing the IRS. I was like what? You want to abolish taxes and end government control and then replace it with the same thing but different name. His argument wasn't good and it was shot down with votes immediately with the argument of the fact that you would need a National ID or some kind of verifiable ID to track all transactions. All of us were against that 100% which was great. so some people don't realize how some positions can contradict what they want. So if you don't stick around you could miss an addition or removal on the resolutions that might concern you.

Cowlesy
03-29-2008, 09:30 PM
Yes, you have to stick it out which is hard but that's the only way to victory. Because even if you takeover the convention chairs the delegation can still vote down the nominations to state and the resolutions. For instance toward the end of ours, some guy gets up and wants to amend the Fair Tax to our section on ending the Federal Reserve and returning to the Gold standard and abolishing the IRS. I was like what? You want to abolish taxes and end government control and then replace it with the same thing but different name. His argument wasn't good and it was shot down with votes immediately with the argument of the fact that you would need a National ID or some kind of verifiable ID to track all transactions. All of us were against that 100% which was great. so some people don't realize how some positions can contradict what they want. So if you don't stick around you could miss an addition or removal on the resolutions that might concern you.

Thank you to all of you who stuck it out to the bitter end.

You made a true, material difference!

MozoVote
03-29-2008, 09:33 PM
I've read that the chair can even call a convention back to order, after adjournment if he learns of unfinished business. Stay until you see their tail lights driving off! :D Leave nothing to chance.

CurtisLow
03-29-2008, 09:35 PM
There was so much fireworks involved with these people losing power you had to be there to see this.

A video would be nice! Congrats on your take over! Great job!

History in the making!

soapmistress
03-29-2008, 09:36 PM
Is this YOU??

http://www.marshallnewsmessenger.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/politics/entries/2008/03/29/paul_supporters_win_one_lose_o.html

awesomeness :)

ronpaulbillboards
03-29-2008, 09:40 PM
Is this YOU??

http://www.marshallnewsmessenger.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/politics/entries/2008/03/29/paul_supporters_win_one_lose_o.html

awesomeness :)

Yes! Robert is my man running the show! Paul Davis from the Austin meetup which is the biggest in the country was there. We rocked it!

MozoVote
03-29-2008, 09:46 PM
It's sadly funny to read on here, how difficult it is to get to state convention in Dr Paul's own back yard.

In North Carolina, if you get through precinct, you can go to county, district and state. Many of the counties just hand out precincts first come, first served to their delegates. It's not the party that's the obstacle, it's just motivating RP people... and convincing them to register Republican that's been the problem.

ronpaulbillboards
03-29-2008, 09:58 PM
This was about usurping the establishment that has been controlling these senate and precinct districts for 30 plus years. It's something that is not won overnight but it happened today in SD-25, in North Austin SD-14 the RP supporters did not gain control of the convention so I don't know how that went. I mean this is Republican Bush country, these people for have been riding this Bush platform for at least 20 years. This is the base of the party that is in control of this nation. This came from the National Republican Chairman for Texas. We have took over at least 2 senate districts that I know of and that is an amazing feat. I would say that 90% of us are all 1st timers.

TER
03-29-2008, 10:04 PM
I salute you! My family thank you!

Mr. White
03-29-2008, 10:07 PM
Nicely done. Keep it up.

Jeremy
03-29-2008, 10:08 PM
Ha, reading about how they walked out and took their decorations was the funniest thing I heard all day.

Good to hear that the Grand Old Party is on its way to being grand again!

haaaylee
03-29-2008, 10:09 PM
One of the 1st changes to the Texas Republican Platform that we changed was to remove this statement from Commendations:

"President. We salute President George W. Bush for his leadership of our nation in this time of war. He has our full support and prayers."

Stricken from the record!

Later someone tried to amend the resolution and add this back in and it was defeated again with verbal nays and a standing count!

And I'm in SD-25, I made a typo in the title. SD-14 is in north Austin.

SD-14 is here in South Austin, actually. ... 78704.

spacebetween
03-29-2008, 10:11 PM
This was about usurping the establishment that has been controlling these senate and precinct districts for 30 plus years. It's something that is not won overnight but it happened today in SD-25, in North Austin SD-14 the RP supporters did not gain control of the convention so I don't know how that went. I mean this is Republican Bush country, these people for have been riding this Bush platform for at least 20 years. This is the base of the party that is in control of this nation. This came from the National Republican Chairman for Texas. We have took over at least 2 senate districts that I know of and that is an amazing feat. I would say that 90% of us are all 1st timers.

Unfortunately, the Legacy PAC which had some presence in SD-25 had a very large presence in SD-14. In fact, its leaders belong to SD-14 -- as you can imagine, wresting power from these guys was very difficult for us in SD-14. We finally ended our convention about an hour and a half ago (9:30 PM).

Many, many delegates were very worn out by the end of the convention (nearly 14 hours!!!). There was no debate on the resolutions. The report from the resolutions committee passed as a whole. HOWEVER, we had already influenced the language of the report prior to the convention. Our resolutions contained condemnation of TTC, McCain-Feingold, abortion, UN, amnesty, illegal immigration, the Fed/income tax/16th amendment. There are some weird resolutions (i.e., very religious resolutions), but overall it was good.

We got a decent sized amount of Ron Paul delegates to the state convention. I think I heard 25% tossed around... RP support at the convention was actually greater than 40%, though -- maybe almost 50-50. The problem was that most of our support came from small precincts, which had weaker voting strength than the neocon/Legacy PAC large precincts.

The greatest amount of debate took place at the beginning on a motion to adopt the minority report of Robert Morrow (a very active, dedicated member of RP efforts) to amend the rules. It would have allowed the small precincts to caucus and nominate delegates to appear before the Nominations Committee to be considered as a state delegate. It failed, but it was a good fight which definitely showed that the status quo Republicans had no intention to give RP supporters ANY leeway.

The most important thing, I think, is that we have made our voices heard. The establishment Republicans know we're a force to be reckoned with. Guest speakers like Rep. McCauly and some others called out RP supporters specifically, acknowledging our presence.

It was an interesting experience. Can't wait for 2010. :)

spacebetween
03-29-2008, 10:12 PM
SD-14 is here in South Austin, actually. ... 78704.

SD-14 consists of south to north Travis County and parts of Williamson.

ronpaulbillboards
03-29-2008, 10:21 PM
Yeah I'm in SD-25 in Travis 78748. Damn I thought you guys would take it too! Like you said at least they know they can't rubber stamp everything and they now have a fight on there hands from here on out. This is the biggest shakeup in the GOP power structure in years. This is Texas! It's been ran by the same Bushites for decades and in our case we took everything over! I'm still fired up

ronpaulbillboards
03-29-2008, 10:22 PM
Ha, reading about how they walked out and took their decorations was the funniest thing I heard all day.

Good to hear that the Grand Old Party is on its way to being grand again!

It was insanity, you should have seen these people freaking out. We won by only 17 votes

AdamT
03-29-2008, 10:25 PM
Thank you!! I went to our District caucus in WI today as a county delegate, but RP supporters were in a very small minority. We still managed to challenge BS resolutions calling Bush a "man of peace" and shook up the place with debate. No national RP delegates to report though :(

Cowlesy
It is our god-damned party. If they refuse to remember what being a true Republican is, than SHAME on THEM.

NBTxn4RP
Sounds like you had fun! But hey...I'm just upset we didn't get to boo Perry off the stage at our county convention,,, :p

tajitj
03-29-2008, 10:26 PM
We need a plan in Houston. It looks like maybe 10% to 15% of state delegates from what I have been reading all night. Have not heard much from places near Dallas and Ft Worth.

That is still a few hundred supporters. We need some plans of action on how to get maybe 15% of national delegates. Or start making some friends and converting.

Zera
03-29-2008, 10:31 PM
We need a plan in Houston. It looks like maybe 10% to 15% of state delegates from what I have been reading all night. Have not heard much from places near Dallas and Ft Worth.

That is still a few hundred supporters. We need some plans of action on how to get maybe 15% of national delegates. Or start making some friends and converting.

Probably more. Not everyone who goes to these conventions reports to us, otherwise there'd be hundreds of threads or other posts.

ronpaulbillboards
03-29-2008, 10:57 PM
Our SD-25 group that took over was very well planned, knowledgeable about the rules of the convention and local political groups and organized. We had email text system setup with our cells so we could all communicate with each other through this and make sure we all voted the same and where aware of what was going on. We also had several meetings to prepare us for everything going on. We will organize again for the state convention with another great plan.

Roxi
03-29-2008, 10:58 PM
Thanks!!!!!

Zera
03-29-2008, 11:02 PM
So... There was not an outnumbering in Paul supporters. But, all the delegates that are being sent to state are Paul supporters. This is great!

ronpaulbillboards
03-29-2008, 11:15 PM
Travis had the most votes for Ron Paul out of all counties even in his own district. We still lost to McCain and Huckabee in popular votes which is still a mystery. That's old news, I would say an overwhelming majority of delegates from Travis and Williamson county are Paulites and that's where the real power lies. All RP delegates nationwide should be commended for not giving up and putting in all the time involved with becoming a delegate. It has paid off and now the real fun will begin when the Paulites are in the same building as the GOP old guard.

TastyWheat
03-29-2008, 11:23 PM
Good to hear. We had a poor showing IMO. We got hammered on resolutions. Some RP supporters even got to be delegates despite never showing up, so not a total loss.

LibertyIn08
03-29-2008, 11:26 PM
Great job.

ronpaulbillboards
03-30-2008, 10:18 AM
bump

speciallyblend
03-30-2008, 10:31 AM
bump,thanks for the hard work folks. I wasnt nominated as a delegate in my county,but i am a alternate. Anyway the point i was making is that everything counts,though i didnt get nominated as a delegate,. In colorado in our counties we did get delegates and we have a few undercover delegates as well;) I also heard we basically overtook the 3 largest counties in Colorado with Paulites:)

The Revolution has begun, We have 5 months and plenty of time to show the gop why Ron Paul is the only chance they have at winning the general election, if the gop ignores the truth ,then we have 4 more years to repair a crippled party.

RON PAUL 2008, written in stone

Cleaner44
03-30-2008, 10:49 AM
The R3volution will not be stopped. Let those old corrupt fools take their ball and go home. As more time goes by we will get deeper and deeper. 2010 will be great!

ronpaulbillboards
03-30-2008, 10:55 AM
Now we are on all the committees and have the vast majority of delegates in my district so we are in control now for at least 2 years! These victories will hopefully help bring more people to the process that had lost faith for whatever reason. We had major victories in the core of the GOP which resides in Texas. So now we can change the platform from the inside with resolutions and delegate selection.

JanetR
03-30-2008, 05:02 PM
This is so encouraging!

Good job, and keep it up.

Freedom forever!
Janet R

goldstandard
03-30-2008, 05:16 PM
Great job!

Stricken from the record! I cannot but smile!:D

LittleLightShining
03-30-2008, 05:20 PM
Awesome! Fantastic! Thank you!

dirknb@hotmail.com
03-30-2008, 05:26 PM
My experience yesterday was quite different, although successful. I was in SD 19 which encompasses west and south San Antonio, mostly Democrat country. Consequently the delegates for each precinct for this district were much lower than Republican districts. Our convention was small, low key and we were in the minority. 84 official attendees to the convention overall, and about 14 Ron Paul supporters that we identified.

The people who ran the convention followed the rules and were very receptive to us. We didn't identify as Ron Paul people, but we were the younger inexperienced people in the crowd for the most part and it wouldn't have been too difficult to figure out. They were very happy to see the new faces and very helpful. They even picked one of our people to sit at the head table and be the timekeeper.

We did well on the resolutions, and the 13 of us who applied to be a state delegate all became either a delegate or an alternate. This was largely due to there not being enough people who applied to fill all of the slots. The convention lasted 3 hours. There was some good discussion and debate, and the Ron Paul supporters were active on the microphones expressing for or against positions on the resolutions. We were able to bring up points and make people start thinking about things they hadn't really thought about before.

Totally different experience than SD 25, but a positive one too.

My take on the day was that most of the people there were Ron Paul supporters who just didn't know it yet. They really were concerned about the same things for the most part, but are just still duped into believing that the current party leadership is leading them in the right direction.

wgadget
03-30-2008, 05:29 PM
The R3volution will not be stopped. Let those old corrupt fools take their ball and go home. As more time goes by we will get deeper and deeper. 2010 will be great!

Correction: Let those old corrupt fools take their PLANTS and go home.

:D

Working Poor
03-30-2008, 05:35 PM
Thanks for this good news!! Don't mess with Texas!!

Gadsden Flag
03-30-2008, 05:40 PM
Reading about the events that happen makes me think that this is politics the way it is meant to be.

No settling for status quo.

No settling for a candidate you support just because that's what the media has concluded you should do.

You ever read about all the shouting matches and they used to have in Congress and at political events back in America's early days? It's because people actually cared about participating in politics.

That's how it's supposed to be! And you guys brought that back.

ronpaulbillboards
03-30-2008, 06:39 PM
Correction: Let those old corrupt fools take their PLANTS and go home.

:D

Seriously, that was the funniest thing I saw in years. :p

ronpaulbillboards
03-30-2008, 06:42 PM
My take on the day was that most of the people there were Ron Paul supporters who just didn't know it yet. They really were concerned about the same things for the most part, but are just still duped into believing that the current party leadership is leading them in the right direction.

You are right, once we got through the fuss with the takeover and the nominations of delegates it went pretty smooth with the resolutions. We all pretty much agreed on everything, just that the Legacy group always wanted to add a little more to the Abortion section. And the guy used his iPhone to pull up all of Dr. Paul's view on the right to life. So once the takeover was complete and they accepted it, then they started quoting RP to get there amendments passed. Ha, I still can't believe we took over a big district like SD-25.

ScotTX
03-30-2008, 06:59 PM
That's awesome! I was elected a delegate in SD14. It was a fight with those guys. 14 hours. We made them work for their money last night, for sure. They definitely know we're here now and in 2 years, we'll own SD14, mark my words. Congratulations SD25. I look forward to seeing y'all in Houston!

orlandoinfl
04-06-2008, 11:03 PM
spectacular