PDA

View Full Version : Fannin County - Oddly Receptive

DeadtoSin
03-29-2008, 04:22 PM
I live in Fannin County, and we had our County Convention today like all the other Texas counties. We went there and nearly every single person was a first time delegate. My county are almost all McCain/Huckabee supporters. I would have to say that we definitely had a disproportionate amount of RP delegates than our votes. (Good thing)

We had a resolution to repeal the Federal reserve act as soon as feasibly possible among other things. The resolution DID fail. However, what it did was show me people who were waking up. It showed me the people that would listen. I was amazed at how split the vote ended up being. Not only that, but one of the RP supporters there knew the rule book/parliamentary procedure better than the elected officials. We couldn't discern the winner by a simple "Aye"/'Nay' call. Then, they wanted to declare the resolution as failed after they won a simple majority in the show of hands.

That RP supporter made a motion to do a weighted vote. After that, they tried to vote on this motion with a majority vote. However, a simple 1/5 vote is all thats required, and he reminded them of that as well. A couple of the people had almost no delegates show up so they had a lot of votes. They were typical neo-cons so we lost there.

I know I took a long time to say we lost. However, they were impressed with the knowledge and issues brought forward. To think that a resolution would nearly be passed in my county calling to repeal the Fed reserve act would have never crossed my mind. There are people there that I know are good moral people, but I thought they were asleep. They were awake to certain issues, and they rose to the challenge with me here.

All in all, I am very encouraged. I'll be working with my GOP for a long time to come. I was surprised that I knew a great deal of the people, and the rest of them were very nice. I suppose the fact that we have some good decent people stems from the fact that we are a smaller county.

LibertyIn08
03-29-2008, 04:26 PM
Congratulations on your successes today; Texas seems to be extremely pro-liberty.

ItsTime
03-29-2008, 04:31 PM
thank you! People are waking up and with the help with people like you a lot more will wake up.

Bradley in DC
03-29-2008, 04:46 PM
ITo think that a resolution would nearly be passed in my county calling to repeal the Fed reserve act would have never crossed my mind.

Repeal of the Federal Reserve Act and return to the gold standard were part of the Texas Republican Party platform until W took over.

DeadtoSin
03-29-2008, 04:50 PM
Yeah, but at this point it seems a lot of people are against it. I could tell who the sleeping ones were though. The committee makes a recommendation on whether to accept or deny the resolution, and at one point they forgot to make the recommendation. I could see some blank looks until one lady actually outright asked what they thought. So, mostly good a bit bad. :)

Bradley in DC
03-29-2008, 04:52 PM
Yeah, but at this point it seems a lot of people are against it. I could tell who the sleeping ones were though. The committee makes a recommendation on whether to accept or deny the resolution, and at one point they forgot to make the recommendation. I could see some blank looks until one lady actually outright asked what they thought. So, mostly good a bit bad. :)

My point is that restoring something to their platform is less crazy than, well, you know. ;)

jkm1864
03-29-2008, 05:52 PM
Texas has always been pro liberty....

LibertyIn08
03-29-2008, 05:59 PM
Texas has always been pro liberty....

I forgot to finish my post. I meant to say even more so than usual. :D

Great job in Fannin County!

DeadtoSin
03-29-2008, 07:49 PM
It was really refreshing to see non-Ron Paul supporters actually agree with some of what we had to say. I've been so down lately, because the only people that would take me seriously are already established Ron Paul guys.

These people respectfully listened, and some agreed! I am still not going to bet on Ron Paul winning the Republican nomination, but fighting, showing knowledge, and gaining the respect of the local GOP is a beginning!

We even voted in a resolution against Real ID!

torchbearer
03-29-2008, 08:22 PM
Louisiana, Texas, Missouri, Nevada, Alaska, Maryland
all strong Ron Paul states... what other states am I missing from this list?
Washington?

MozoVote
03-29-2008, 09:53 PM
Idaho and Oregon may be good RP states coming up. McCain isn't making any serious effort to campaign, and RP's best fund raising was in the west.

orlandoinfl
04-06-2008, 11:01 PM
great job

ResistTemptation
04-06-2008, 11:43 PM
Good work! Maybe its the looming Trans-Texas Corridor thats opening more than a few Texan eyes.

Eric21ND
04-07-2008, 04:22 AM
Louisiana, Texas, Missouri, Nevada, Alaska, Maryland
all strong Ron Paul states... what other states am I missing from this list?
Washington?

North Dakota and Montana. :p

(We got Ron 11 national degates from ND, McCain got 12)