PDA

View Full Version : Ok, I have elevated blood pressure - am I dead?

ghemminger
03-29-2008, 02:29 PM
I'm borderline high cholesterol, 37 210, 5-9, Haven't been watching my diest too closely and bike 2-3 riding times a week.

What happened? Just got it tested at a health fair and I am scared:confused:

Anyone tell me what this really means...the nurses seemed pretty concerned

160 over 100?

torchbearer
03-29-2008, 02:42 PM
in Louisiana, those kind of numbers would look really good.

torchbearer
03-29-2008, 02:47 PM
the average male in louisiana your age and height would have High Cholesterol, An extremely high LDL to HDL ratio. weigh at least 280, and has been on hypertension medication and fluid pills since their mid-20s.
Blame it on the cajun cooking and the ton of salt we have in our foods.

Roxi
03-29-2008, 03:04 PM
whats your blood pressure?

Roxi
03-29-2008, 03:07 PM
also eat cheerios twice a day and cut out at least 50% of your sat. fats (like fried food)

ghemminger
03-29-2008, 03:08 PM
whats your blood pressure?

like 160? over 100?

It's never been that bad...and it was a warm day and we were walking around

rancher89
03-29-2008, 03:08 PM
Dealing with the wife thing isn't helping IMHO

ghemminger
03-29-2008, 03:10 PM
the average male in louisiana your age and height would have High Cholesterol, An extremely high LDL to HDL ratio. weigh at least 280, and has been on hypertension medication and fluid pills since their mid-20s.

Thanks torch your making feel a little better :) I've been borderlin taking the meds for a few years...I wish it was easier...

I live in Europe for about 6 months and man I was healthy....I didn't even have to think about health cuz you walk everywhere and food so expensive

orafi
03-29-2008, 05:28 PM

Same with Pakistani/Indian food haha

amy31416
03-29-2008, 05:42 PM
Might sound silly, but in addition to eating foods that are low in salt, try some of the following things:

meditation (it really works)
yoga
take a good multivitamin
cut back on caffeine, if you haven't already

Cleaner44
03-29-2008, 05:54 PM
Any one reading of blood pressure can be high and meaningless. You need to check it say for 5 days in a row at the same time of day to reaally find out where you are.

I am not a doctor but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

phixion
03-29-2008, 06:33 PM
Eat what your slender wife eats every day and not a calorie more until your weight drops to below 170lbs. I am deadly serious. It does not get any easier than that. Eat the same breakfast, lunch and dinner. Don't snack. Eat exactly how she does.

Start now and in 1 year you will be completely liberated and free from such health issues.

Once below 170lbs, simply ensure you don't eat over 2,000 calories per day on average and you will maintain a good weight with ease.

Pete

TER
03-29-2008, 06:51 PM
As a doctor, I can tell you that one isolated reading of 160/100 would need to be confirmed with at least 2 more readings on separate days before you can be diagnosed with hypertension. So, you should call your doctor and see him/her in the next few days and get it rechecked. In the meantime, the previous posters have made some excellent suggestions on how to improve your health.

PS: and by the way, the answer to your question "am I dead" is no. Not yet. ;)

Roxi
03-29-2008, 10:10 PM
like 160? over 100?

It's never been that bad...and it was a warm day and we were walking around

well thats not absolutely horrible especially for being active and warm before you had it checked... you might go to the local grocery store and check it regularly.

but i would definitely cut down on any fried foods and start eating cheerios every morning :D

ghemminger
03-29-2008, 11:20 PM
Might sound silly, but in addition to eating foods that are low in salt, try some of the following things:

meditation (it really works)
yoga
take a good multivitamin
cut back on caffeine, if you haven't already

Thank you amy - I really appreciate the advise:)

ghemminger
03-29-2008, 11:22 PM
As a doctor, I can tell you that one isolated reading of 160/100 would need to be confirmed with at least 2 more readings on separate days before you can be diagnosed with hypertension. So, you should call your doctor and see him/her in the next few days and get it rechecked. In the meantime, the previous posters have made some excellent suggestions on how to improve your health.

PS: and by the way, the answer to your question "am I dead" is no. Not yet. ;)

Thank you Doctor - these nurse trainees really 'scared' me it was like they were trying to scare me to death or something:( thanks for the advise everyone

I've been eating kind of a lot fast food compared to before - but exersising more - and drinking a TON of coffee - stopped my vitamins - and severly stressed over a relationship

TER
03-29-2008, 11:43 PM
Definitely cut down on all forms of caffeine, eat well balanced meals, +/- on the vitamins, try stress relieving forms of relaxation (meditation/breathing exercises, definitely less internet time), try your best to understand your wife and forgive her first if you expect her to forgive you, and most importantly, put your faith in God's hands and cry to Him for mercy.

thuja
03-30-2008, 02:40 AM
what's with the cheerios suggestion? why would anone ever eat a prepared food and expect good results for health?
no food in boxes, bags, cans, bags, wrappers, etc.(unless it's a grave emergency)
all veg and a few fruits, such as avocado, tomato, lemon, grapefruit.(avoid lots of sugary fruits, at least at first)
fresh air, clean water, sunshine. and exercise.
cholesterol is not a danger, that is a myth. it protects you from the acids you have, which resulted from eating meat and other harmful things, and will become normal when ou eat properly.
cholesterol meds prevent coq10, so if you take those, supplement w/coq10.
blood pressure will improve as well, and things like deep breathing and meditation certainly help a lot.
you deserve to be happy. be happy.

yes, less time by your computer is a good suggestion too.

thuja
03-30-2008, 02:50 AM
stopping salt is not correct. stop commercial salt that is sold at supermarkets and put in commercial foods,and restaurant foods, it's harmful, but do use natural salt.
a good one is REAL SALT, and there are others. ask at a health store.
salt is good for you. it's needed for life, just avoid the chemical salt, only using it for housecleaning, like commercial vinegar.

Mckarnin
03-30-2008, 03:38 AM
All of these things should help with the BP and cholesterol and weight....

~Drop prepared foods out of your diet as much as you can. If you have to prepare your own food and don't cook a lot...canned salmon, beans (black, pinto, garbanzo, etc...), Uncle Ben's 10 minute brown rice, walnuts, almonds, lightly salted mixed nuts, raw veggies with some dressing to dip, fresh fruit and oatmeal are all good and quick options.

~Avoid trans fat (hydrogenated and partially-hydrogenated oil in ingredient lists are trans-fat) so basically no fast food fried goods and no commercial baked goods unless they have nutritional info. and have no hydrogenated oils (US labeling lets less than 1 gram of trans fat be listed as 0 grams but there will still be some if any oils are hydrogenated).

~Eat more foods high in nutrition and fiber like beans and nuts.

~Drink at least 8 glasses of water a day.

~Pull sugar, soda, alcohol and denatured white flour and sugar products (refined carbs and sugar are the worst things for blood pressure along with trans fat).

~Try to drop a few pounds.

~Take a high-quality fish oil daily...those Omega 3 fats are great for helping with BP, stress, anxiety and cholesterol. It is important to buy a high-quality brand since the majority of pills at the store are rancid or not tested for mercury, PCB and other contamination. This is a really good brand and available at Whole Foods, a lot of health food stores, or can be ordered online...I like the liquid (start with 1 teaspoon a day and increase over a few weeks up to a max of 1 teaspoon for every 50lbs. body weight): http://www.carlsonlabs.com/product_detail.phtml?prodid=10025836&categid=03a9

For the stress....

This: http://www.rescueremedy.com/ is a must have. The spray bottle is great if you are on the go. It is non-habit forming, no side effects and wonderful. You can give your kids and wife a spritz in their mouths when they are stressed too.

Also, think about buying therapeutic grade lavender essential oil. Many essential oils are NOT safe to apply straight to your skin but lavender is and will help you feel more relaxed and calm if you are stressed. A drop or two rubbed on your wrists or the soles of your feet or on a handkerchief are good ways to expose your body to its therapeutic qualities and scent. This company makes a great brand. : http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/aroma/f-l.html

Just because they are great for digestion, absorption of nutrients and help keep your gut feeling healthy and light...probiotics (same thing that is in yogurt except more concentrated, little sugar and several strains so they can really clean up the bad bacteria in your gut).

http://www.celticseasalt.com/Primal_Defense_90_Caps_P49C100.cfm

P.S. Prepared and fast food tend to have obscene amounts of processed salt in them. That is NOT good. Please salt your food at home to taste but like another poster said, use good sea salt like this: http://www.celticseasalt.com/Celtic_Sea_Salt_Brand_Fine_Gr_C6.cfm

thuja
03-30-2008, 04:03 AM
i get spanish almonds due to the diabolical "pasturization" of all usa almonds
it's easy to find articles on the internet about this problem with almonds.

thuja
03-30-2008, 04:07 AM
if you cannot find bach rescue remedy,( which is excellent) or if you prefer something w/o alchohol,if, for example, you wish to use it for your dog too, try king bio king bio have several that work beautifully for calming. really works on dogs too. ust spray in mouth when feeling anxious.

www.kingbio.com

Mckarnin
03-30-2008, 05:05 AM
if you cannot find bach rescue remedy,( which is excellent) or if you prefer something w/o alchohol,if, for example, you wish to use it for your dog too, try king bio king bio have several that work beautifully for calming. really works on dogs too. ust spray in mouth when feeling anxious.

www.kingbio.com

P.S. Bach makes rescue remedy pastilles now that are alcohol free (in case that is a concern :-) ...ps, looking at king bio. I use homeopathy but not familiar with them..yet.

thuja
03-30-2008, 05:45 AM
P.S. Bach makes rescue remedy pastilles now that are alcohol free (in case that is a concern :-) ...ps, looking at king bio. I use homeopathy but not familiar with them..yet.

i think i will like these Bach pastilles, i did not know about those. they will be nice to keep in a pocket or bag.

i thought king bio was going to be a useless waste of time, but i found out otherwise. i use various of their sprays, and all that i have tried acvtually work. they have pet products, but i have been using the same for dogs as for myself.

these are costl, so locate what you want to buy, then type in google and look for healthstore sites that sell it for less. some are only available directly from king bio, however.

phixion
03-30-2008, 05:58 AM
There's a lot of nonsense and quackery in this thread but I suppose it's to be expected in a 'fringe' forum such as this.

Your weight is the issue. Eating more calories than you need each day is the issue.

Times your bodyweight in lbs by 12 (for you this means 210 x 12) which equals 2,500 calories per day to MAINTAIN your current overweight status - this means if you eat 500 calories LESS than you need per day - nomore than 2,000 calories - you will lose weight at a rate of 1lbs/week (roughly) and your elevated blood pressure will dissapear within a year. As you begin to weigh less you will need to adjust and reduce your calories further according to the calculation above.

Forget medications that control your blood pressure - they're designed for fat people who don't want to lose weight. The doctors KNOW they won't bother losing weight so pescribe this stuff to treat the symptoms.
Forget stupid quackery (meditation, yoga, herbal nonsense) for losing weight 'cos THAT is the ISSUE here - your weight and how much you're eating.
It's no good biking and burning 100 calories orso if you're eating well over your 2,500 calories just to maintain your weight.

The truth shall set you free, George.

If you're eating above 2,500, you shall never be free and will continue to wreck your body with further excess weight.

Monday seems like a good day to start counting those calories. :)

The proof is in the pudding and here's my current weight loss.

01-Jan 170.0
13-Jan 164.0
21-Jan 162.4
25-Jan 162.0
26-Jan 160.2
29-Jan 158.8
02-Feb 158.2
03-Feb 157.6
10-Feb 156.0
13-Feb 155.0
18-Feb 154.8
23-Feb 154.8
24-Feb 153.2
02-Mar 150.2
08-Mar 150.6
09-Mar 149.6
14-Mar 148.8
15-Mar 148.2
21-Mar 148.4
22-Mar 146.8
24-Mar 146.2
26-Mar 146.0
29-Mar 146.0
30-Mar 145.2

You can do it, too. Eat at LEAST 500 below maintaince but NOMORE than 1,000 below.

Pete

thuja
03-30-2008, 06:44 AM
is it possible that you reduced the amount of chemicals, meat, sugars and other acids in your life while reducing your calories, and that perhps you exercised, producing perspiration, which takes out acids, and took in more liquids, so you peed out those?
we are glad you lost weight, and i suspect some or all of the above things helped too.

thuja
03-30-2008, 06:53 AM
here is a quackery diet: the atkins diet.
you would go into acidosis, the opposite of what is needed for health and long term weight loss. after stopping it, all the weight comes back. that is, if a person stayed alive.
that diet consists of fats and protiens only. it's deadly.
an alkaline diet, from veg, causes healthy weight loss and loss of diseases, and does not cause acid emotions like a protien diet does.

the health industry tends to police itself far more effectively than the gvt, for example, the recent expose of chemicals in some so called natural and organic soaps and personal care items was exposed from within the natural organic industry.

phixion
03-30-2008, 06:58 AM
is it possible that you reduced the amount of chemicals, meat, sugars and other acids in your life while reducing your calories, and that perhps you exercised, producing perspiration, which takes out acids, and took in more liquids, so you peed out those?
we are glad you lost weight, and i suspect some or all of the above things helped too.

Weight loss is no mystery. Eat less than you require and lose weight. Eat more than you require and put weight on.

People love to complicate it because they don't want to eat less or change their habbits. They will seek out every strange way in their attempts to lose weight - except the part where they reduce the ammount of calories they're taking in.

I didn't exercise at all - you don't actually need to. Exercising is an inefficient form of burning calories. I don't doubt the benefits of exercise in other areas of your health but for losing weight it's pretty redundant. The ammount of calories cycling for 1 hour burns is nothing compared to what our bodies burn just to keep ourselves alive each day. It's far more efficient to eat less rather than exercise when it comes to weight loss.

It's all in the calorie deficit. I didn't change what I ate at all either - I just ate less and ensured I ate below my calorie needs to a sufficient degree most days.

Pete

thuja
03-30-2008, 07:07 AM
:)ok

phixion
03-30-2008, 07:07 AM
here is a quackery diet: the atkins diet.
you would go into acidosis, the opposite of what is needed for health and long term weight loss. after stopping it, all the weight comes back. that is, if a person stayed alive.
that diet consists of fats and protiens only. it's deadly.
an alkaline diet, from veg, causes healthy weight loss and loss of diseases, and does not cause acid emotions like a protien diet does.

the health industry tends to police itself far more effectively than the gvt, for example, the recent expose of chemicals in some so called natural and organic soaps and personal care items was exposed from within the natural organic industry.

I think you're buying in to a little propaganda there. It's certainly possible for us to survive on fats and protein alone. It's probably not advisable since we have evolved eating a mix of protein, fats and carbs but diets low in carbs aren't 'deadly'...

Weight ONLY comes back on after a diet if the person returns back to their usual eating habbits of eating MORE than they need per day - this happens with most people on any 'diet' because they're generally silly. They lose weight by eating less than they need, then claim their diet was a success and proceed to gain weight by eating more than they need again. It's rather tragic.

'tis simple, though.

Pete

thuja
03-30-2008, 10:11 AM
[QUOTE=phixion;1376483]I think you're buying in to a little propaganda there. It's certainly possible for us to survive on fats and protein alone. It's probably not advisable since we have evolved eating a mix of protein, fats and carbs but diets low in carbs aren't 'deadly'...

Weight ONLY comes back on after a diet if the person returns back to their usual eating habbits of eating MORE than they need per day - this happens with most people on any 'diet' because they're generally silly. They lose weight by eating less than they need, then claim their diet was a success and proceed to gain weight by eating more than they need again. It's rather tragic.

'tis simple, though.

Pete[/QUOTE
you could experiment on yourself, but i warn you that a diet of only protien and fat, as in the atkins diet, which produces acidosis, and it is intended to do so, would be very very harmful, so don't do it. this atkins diet is not low carb, it is zero carb, not even 1 bite of lettuce.
you could experiment with the diet suggested in a book called ph miracle for weight loss and really loose fast and keep it off, while gaining several other benefits.
clearly, you need not do this, as ou are happy with your successful weight loss, but some others are unable to loose weight the way you did, because they are eating so much acid, and also have a large chemical burden in their bodies, which also results in overweight. maybe they are older as well.
obviously you do not have this problem, and it's fabulous that your way of eating has been so successful.
you should continue on your plan.:) simple is best

Dave39168
03-30-2008, 11:55 PM
High blood pressure IS SERIOUS. Some "trainees" do scare people with their comments, which can be very counterproductive, their dramatic and emotional teachers probably taught them this reaction. 3 or 4 reading on seperate days will give you a better idea of what your pressure is. Long term elevation will lead to kidney damage, and vascular damage in the heart (increasing your risk of heart attack)... There are other problems but i think these two would be the most serious. You have two options for getting your blood pressure down:

1) lose some weight, seriously. Get to a body mass index of less than 25.
exercise several times a week 30 mins (sounds like you already do some exercise), you should engage in exercise that will elevate your heart rate, you can do a little research on this for details.
some people's blood pressure is very sensitive to salt, others its not as sensitive. that varies from person to person. consider moderating your salt use.

2) Go see your doctor. he will likely be glad to give you a pill to get it down. But I would try option number one first.

Dave39168
03-30-2008, 11:57 PM
atkins works for losing weight, but it is unhealthy. It puts your body in an acidotic state, which is bad. Go for gradual weight loss 1-2 pounds per week.

Dave Pedersen
03-31-2008, 12:34 AM
Never eat pig meat and drink twice as much water.