PDA

View Full Version : ABSCAM - Is this a good use of the FBI?

brandon
03-29-2008, 01:55 PM
Today I was researching the history of representatives from my congessional district. I found out that former congressman Michael Meyers was kicked out of congress following the ABSCAM scandal.

I have never heard of the ABSCAM scandal before, it happened before I was born. This seems like a good use of the FBI. How do you all feel about the FBI performing covert stings and surveillance of elected officials? I don't think this would be such a bad thing. On the other hand, politicians are still individual americans and deserve the same rights to privacy as the rest of us.

A little history on Abscam...
"The FBI set up "Abdul Enterprises, Ltd." in 1978. FBI employees posed as Middle Eastern businessmen in videotaped talks with government officials, where they offered money in return for political favors to a non-existent sheikh. A house (4407 W St. NW, Washington, DC), along with a yacht in Florida and hotel rooms in Pennsylvania and New Jersey, were used to set up meetings between various public officials and a mysterious Arab sheikh named "Kambir Abdul Rahman" who wanted:

To purchase asylum in the U.S.
To involve them in an investment scheme
To get help in getting his money out of his country "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abscam

Discuss, im interested in your opinions.