PDA

View Full Version : FL District 15 Delegate Selection Caucus UPDATE

Misesian
03-29-2008, 08:29 AM
Alright guys, so it happened here. FL picks their delegates to St. Paul by congressional district. I'm in District 15 and we just had our caucus and upon arrival I was not on their list. The FL campaign coordinator also lives in my district and he applied and was also not on the list.

I made a little stink about this as much as I could since it's the state party up in Tallahassee that does all of this whereas in the past the delegate applications would go to the counties and they would form the list. So I am pretty sure it wasn't any funny business going on with the local leaders at the caucus. Though they had one of their guys make some calls and what he got back to me on is that I was up for consideration as an at-large delegate. These are delegates chosen at the state level which basically mean that I do not stand a chance. I asked that since I was there anyway if I can just stay and witness and they said OK which is another reason why I think it was outside of the district leader's hands. We had 4 people there, and I'm pretty sure that two probably will not be chosen. There's a small chance the other 2 possibly can be chosen but doubtful. Nobody mentioned Ron but they know one as a supporter already anyways but she is active in the party and has a slight chance.

Now I know this is B.S. because I submitted in FOUR separate applications.

1. At-large Delegate
2. At-large alternate
3. Congressional District Delegate
4. Congressional District Alternate

This is what the campaign advised us to do based on their confirmation with the RPOF, and by looking at the rules.

So here is another example of us being screwed over. I indicated on the ballot application that I was the county coordinator for the Ron Paul campaign, as most at the local level already knew so I was not going to try to go in under the radar. It sounds likely that they scratched me, and the FL coordinator Mark Cross, based on this fact rather than letting the caucus board determine whether or not they would've chosen me.

Our county chair was also telling the individuals who were caucusing that we don't decide on the platform either, but that it's pretty much all a ceremonial process.

I know there's a few other districts having their caucus today too so we'll see what happens in theirs.

pennycat
03-29-2008, 09:07 AM
Thanks for this vital info. I'm leaving now to go to my delegate selection process!

A Ron Paul Rebel
03-29-2008, 11:51 AM
Am I mistaken or hasn't everyone been informed
to NOT put stuff like "I was the county coordinator
for Ron Paul"? ...even if they already know it?

...especially in Florida!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???

I'm not surprised you were scratched.

Join The Paul Side
03-29-2008, 12:10 PM
I live in FL and didn't know this was going down today. Is it the entire state doing it? How do I find out what district I'm in and when my county convention is?

ButchHowdy
03-29-2008, 04:03 PM
I WAS on that list but got bumped by an elderly (but well resume'd) grandmother.

This is proof positive that the Republican Party is so out of touch with the next generation and why they are f/ailing.

If this were a church service, I would have cried ICHABOD!!

But instead, I offer to what remains of the current Republican Party:

R.I.P.

Misesian
03-29-2008, 04:27 PM
Am I mistaken or hasn't everyone been informed
to NOT put stuff like "I was the county coordinator
for Ron Paul"? ...even if they already know it?

...especially in Florida!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???

I'm not surprised you were scratched.

If they already know it, than they would have simply eliminated me at the caucus anyways by not having chosen me, something legal of course. Though if they scratched me off of the list simply because they didn't like Ron Paul now that's something that can be legally challenged.

pennycat, how did your caucus go?????

LibertyIn08
03-29-2008, 04:29 PM
I WAS on that list but got bumped by an elderly (but well resume'd) grandmother.

This is proof positive that the Republican Party is so out of touch with the next generation and why they are f/ailing.

If this were a church service, I would have cried ICHABOD!!

But instead, I offer to what remains of the current Republican Party:

R.I.P.

Don't give up. Florida has one of the worst GOP state parties in the nation, but through relentless work, it is possible to rectify the situation. Keep working locally, and help out all of the other delegates in any way possible.

Bradley in DC
03-29-2008, 04:32 PM
Though they had one of their guys make some calls and what he got back to me on is that I was up for consideration as an at-large delegate.

Now I know this is B.S. because I submitted in FOUR separate applications.

1. At-large Delegate
2. At-large alternate
3. Congressional District Delegate
4. Congressional District Alternate

This is what the campaign advised us to do based on their confirmation with the RPOF, and by looking at the rules.

I don't know Florida state rules, so I'm just asking/guessing here: Is it possible that one can't be BOTH an AL and CD delegate (which makes sense to me)? So if your application for the AL one was accepted, you would be ineligible to ALSO be a CD delegate. If so, the state/local party acted appropriately and the RP campaign screwed up.

Misesian
03-29-2008, 04:32 PM

Was this that older lady with the shoulder lengthed red hair and bangs?

If so, she was the one that was stumping for McCain bigtime during this caucus.

It all really makes you sick. After the caucus was let out another 80 year old woman came outside and I was talking about the Constitution and pulled out my CATO leatherbound one and she had absolutely NO CLUE what the Constitution was. She said that it was just the articles and the amendments but that there's more to it than that :o It is despicable that the active people within the party ONLY care about this good ole boys club and nothing about what it supposedly stood for.

Misesian
03-29-2008, 04:38 PM
I don't know Florida state rules, so I'm just asking/guessing here: Is it possible that one can't be BOTH an AL and DC delegate (which makes sense to me)? So if your application for the AL one was accepted, you would be ineligible to ALSO be a CD delegate. If so, the state/local party acted appropriately and the RP campaign screwed up.

Well that would make sense, and I think this is the impression that our county's REC chair had. Though if this were the case, than you would think I would have been ACCEPTED as an at-large delegate. They had a gentlemen who was apparently some old buddy of McCain that was accepted as an at-large delegate, he came to this caucus and he was obviously not on the list because of this so they sent him home.

We were informed that the RPOF said that you can submit separate applications for all four, but can only be chosen as one. Our FL coordinator was heavily involved with the RPOF before he became the coordinator and is well versed in these rules too and informed him of all this and he does not like the sound of it and is going to investigate further. Apparently not since today have there been very many caucuses in FL yet and he had not been informed of what went down at those that have already taken place so I'm guessing none of our people even went.

Bradley in DC
03-29-2008, 04:43 PM
Well that would make sense, and I think this is the impression that our county's REC chair had. Though if this were the case, than you would think I would have been ACCEPTED as an at-large delegate.

Still just guessing: shouldn't the AL delegates be chosen "statewide" somehow and not by your local/county/district party?

LibertyIn08
03-29-2008, 04:47 PM
Still just guessing: shouldn't the AL delegates be chosen "statewide" somehow and not by your local/county/district party?

That would make sense, at the very least.

The Lantern
03-29-2008, 07:07 PM

The RPOF requested that if you wanted to be considered for all delegate positions you would need to send in separate applications. All the Congressional Districts come first. The At Large delegates will be chosen at the State meeting on May 10th after each Congressional District has met. Presumably to appoint any high dollar donor or Congressman who was missed in the CD Caucus. The RPOF said that if you were chosen to be a CD delegate or alternate, you would automatically be eliminated from consideration as an At Large delegate or alternate. Florida is a hard state to win delegates because the local party officials choose the delegates, not the people.

ButchHowdy
03-29-2008, 07:27 PM
" . . . After the caucus was let out another 80 year old woman came outside and I was talking about the Constitution and pulled out my CATO leatherbound one and she had absolutely NO CLUE what the Constitution was. She said that it was just the articles and the amendments but that there's more to it than that :o It is despicable that the active people within the party ONLY care about this good ole boys club and nothing about what it supposedly stood for.

THAT was woman that was chosen!

I was beaten by an 80 year old woman! O the humanity! O the horror! O the humility!

My dream of meeting Prince in St. Paul has been shattered!

Misesian
03-29-2008, 08:32 PM
The RPOF requested that if you wanted to be considered for all delegate positions you would need to send in separate applications. All the Congressional Districts come first. The At Large delegates will be chosen at the State meeting on May 10th after each Congressional District has met. Presumably to appoint any high dollar donor or Congressman who was missed in the CD Caucus. The RPOF said that if you were chosen to be a CD delegate or alternate, you would automatically be eliminated from consideration as an At Large delegate or alternate. Florida is a hard state to win delegates because the local party officials choose the delegates, not the people.

Well as I mentioned previously the one older fellow who was there said he was already notified that he was selected as an at large delegate. I thought I heard previously as well that McCain's folks had already picked out their delegates. Maybe that's the notification that he was given, by McCain's staff that he was chosen to be one of his at large delegates and than basically the RPOF would just pick whomever McCain wants.

The process sucks overall in FL. If FL was a caucus state I can guarantee that Paul would've done better than 3% since I know you wouldn't have 62% voter turnout for a caucus like we did in our county.

The Lantern
03-30-2008, 11:11 AM
Well as I mentioned previously the one older fellow who was there said he was already notified that he was selected as an at large delegate. I thought I heard previously as well that McCain's folks had already picked out their delegates. Maybe that's the notification that he was given, by McCain's staff that he was chosen to be one of his at large delegates and than basically the RPOF would just pick whomever McCain wants.

The process sucks overall in FL. If FL was a caucus state I can guarantee that Paul would've done better than 3% since I know you wouldn't have 62% voter turnout for a caucus like we did in our county.

I agree. If Florida was a caucus state Ron Paul would have done extremely well. McCain has selectee his slate of delegates. They were submitted to RPOF back in February. They go into the pool of names to be selected on May 10th.

Misesian
03-30-2008, 02:08 PM
I agree. If Florida was a caucus state Ron Paul would have done extremely well. McCain has selectee his slate of delegates. They were submitted to RPOF back in February. They go into the pool of names to be selected on May 10th.

Well that pretty much says it than. My only chance, and albeit very very slim was to have been selected as a district delegate. If I had gotten a chance to deliver my schpeel I may have well been selected too. My grassroots experience blew away any of the establishment people and I even did a LOT for hte FairTax before I got involved here, and that's an issue much more acceptable to them. I was the youngest one there and they may have wanted some youth in the mix of the geriatrics.

This is giong to be one uphill battle and I desperately hope that people aren't giving up and we can takeover a number of state GOP's around the nation. If we do it in FL we can change our state to a caucus state. I know for certain that many people in my precinct alone would not have come out but the Ron Paul folks sure would have. Damn democracy.

nbhadja
03-30-2008, 02:41 PM
Guys, DO NOT say you are a RP supporter. LIE!!!!

Banana
03-30-2008, 03:32 PM
Guys, DO NOT say you are a RP supporter. LIE!!!!

That can get you thrown out. Nobody wants to vote for a liar.

Better to state you're a conservative and leave at that.

ButchHowdy
03-30-2008, 07:34 PM

I kept mum . . . in fact, I drove my wife's car lest there be any spies.

A Misesian said, this thing seemed sewn up from the outset, and there were only 6 (3+3) votes up for grabs for 3 large counties - the old lady and the old man who claimed he knows McWar and McLiebesraelfirst, and he didn't even bother hanging out for the outcome.

Zera
03-30-2008, 07:40 PM

They won't know you lied, but just saying you always vote for the conservative Republican should be enough. Saying McCain never hurts, though... Like I said, they won't know you lied.

CurtisLow
03-30-2008, 07:52 PM
Take the GOP over and own it!

Out with the good ol boys and in with freedom fighter!

Banana
03-31-2008, 11:00 AM
Like I said, they won't know you lied.

Don't be so sure. There is no guarantee that they won't find out, and besides, even if it was guaranteed, doesn't that make us just like neocons we're fighting against?

No, just stick to "always vote for conservative Republicans", and might giving some examples such as Goldwater, Taft or the likes depending on who's well-liked in your area.