PDA

View Full Version : Vote For the RP Ad to be Aired in IA & NH

skiingff
08-19-2007, 06:45 PM
Vote for your favorite Ron Paul TV Ad Script! The favorite will be produced professionally in a Los Angeles T.V. studio, then be aired on TVs across Iowa and New Hampshire!

The winning script may be edited prior to production. That means if you don't like one little word or one sentence or one part of an ad but still like the ad in general or the idea of the ad the best -- vote for it. They will most likely be edited, and we will get input on how to best do so. None of the original submitted scripts have been edited. They have been pasted just as they were submitted.

Be aware that you may vote for the ad YOU think is best, however keep in mind how it may portray Ron Paul or be looked at in positive and negatives ways by viewers, political pundits, the media, etc. Be aware how terms such as "revolution," "extreme measures" such as abolishing the IRS, directly attacking the media, etc. may be looked upon.
Please READ all the scripts before you vote, and please only vote once. Thank you!

http://www.operationnh.com/vote.html

im_a_pepper
08-19-2007, 07:08 PM
bump

need more voters

mtmedlin
08-19-2007, 07:16 PM
I really like #19. It is simple and hits the major issues. I would leave out the pot shirt Adan have the soldier say something about voting fro Afghanistan but against Iraq.
overall I think its the winner!

ctb619
08-19-2007, 07:34 PM
holy hell....how many people do you expect to read 20 scripts?

Paul4Prez
08-19-2007, 07:51 PM
It's worth reading through all 20 scripts -- there are some very good ideas.

I went with #19, but thought #4 and #10 would also be very powerful.

I think it should be the Constitution that Ron Paul saves though, instead of the Declaration.

Green Mountain Boy
08-19-2007, 07:52 PM
I read all 20 and voted. #7 and #19 are very good in my opinion.

Be Alive.

Be Free.

....I like that a lot

Spike Kojima
08-19-2007, 08:03 PM
#19 looks good , but I have to agree about the pot leaf. Its kinda tacky to say the least.

EvoPro
08-19-2007, 08:08 PM
is it possible to have 2 or 3 different ads that we cycle in?

skiingff
08-19-2007, 08:16 PM
is it possible to have 2 or 3 different ads that we cycle in?

Yes, but not professionally produced ones. We had to go thru enough trouble to get people to agree to make this one pro-bono / low cost. Our favors ran out the moment we asked them to take on such a huge task. Plus, the professional ads take a long time to produce. Other campaigns had there's planned out and made a LONG time ago. We have catch-up to do...

Check out the Op NH Update thread.

thomj76
08-19-2007, 08:20 PM
As someone who just had a promotional video made for a project, I can attest first hand how costs skyrocket the moment you talk about getting a film crew anywhere with their cameras. My primary concern here is that if costs run up, that means less money to run the ads.

Reagan may have run 60 sec ads, however, Reagan's budget was much larger relatively speaking.

If we can get the points across without incurring large cost, it provides more budget for more airtime.

Pro-bono is great, however, the moment you need something else, it's bono v. bono ;)

I voted for 15 (big surprise there since I wrote it). I submitted a rewrite, however it didn't make it to the poll. With the right graphics, text and narration, I feel that it could be a very powerful ad motif.

http://ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?p=135188#post135188

The thoughts behind my idea is something shorter than 30 sec that allows other graphics to be incorporated. Hopefully, we can get someone there to work pro-bono too :)

I also think that using the founding documents can be supported with narration, text, and graphics that will lead the viewer to check out Ron Paul. If we can mitigate cost, that means more airtime. Constructing a template also allows a smooth an easy transition for different states. I like other submissions as well, and I would be remiss if I didn't add that.

Thanks to everyone for their energies.

Spirit of '76
08-19-2007, 08:22 PM

Leave out the potleaf. Have two kids, a boy and a girl, holding hands.

klamath
08-19-2007, 08:23 PM
I would have voted for #19 over my own if he would have had a chance to change the message America's future is going to pot. One good point about text ads is a huge amount of people hit the mute button when commercials come on.

akovacs
08-19-2007, 08:24 PM
I'll just read through and write comments as I go:

Please, for the love of god, do not run #1. I understand where it was coming from, but do not use something so fresh in the news (it's tacky) and the whole thing reeks of scaremongering.

#3 is OK, but will probably alienate some people from the parties.

#6 is good

I love #7. This one is fantastic actually. It shows a movement and will let people look him up online and learn what's going on. You can use real meetup people in it too, so you wouldn't have to pay anyone. You could even have that mentioned in the ad, that none of the people in it are actors, but are volunteers.

#8 is boring. Sorry. You cannot expect to get people angry about taxes like that in 30 seconds.

#10 is good, I'd make it businessmen and/or politicians though (Don't know how you would differentiate them). It would also be great to have some spoken words as they're doing it like: "Our constitution is under attack, and only one person can stop it." etc etc but don't mention his name until it's written on the document. Also, make sure the person is older, but do not show their face. Unless Paul will do the commercial (Unlikely), you will confuse people if the face isn't the same.

#11 is corny

I'm wary of presenting issues like #12. Again, you can't describe an issue like that in 30 seconds. No one will know his stance (He wants to pull out? He wants to carpet bomb the place? He wants to support more troops there?). The flag in the coffin is not a bad idea, although it may offend some people?

#13 is not bad.

#14 would be great for an NRA convention, but that's about it. It's also not technically accurate (The airlines could decide what the rules are). I fear this would be used against us later on to make us look loony.

#15 is OK

#17 is OK if rewritten and shortened a bit. It'd be even better if you added a short clip of the 2002 dated video of him on the house floor saying it was a bad idea (The one with "I rise to urge congress to think twice before thrusting this nation into a war without merit...")

#18 is corny and doesn't make sense. Why would old ladies try to hide their support?

#19 is pretty damn good.

It came down to #7 and #19 for me. I chose #7 only because I think it will be cheaper and faster to make, and if you show REAL volunteers and meetup members, and explicitly say so, it could send a powerful message. #19 is winning right now, and that's OK too :P

LibertyEagle
08-19-2007, 08:27 PM
Reagan may have run 60 sec ads, however, Reagan's budget was much larger relatively speaking.

It's worth checking the price differential. With radio ads, the difference between a 30 second spot and a 60 second spot is very small. I'm just suggesting we check, is all.

Spirit of '76
08-19-2007, 08:36 PM
#10 is good, I'd make it businessmen and/or politicians though (Don't know how you would differentiate them). It would also be great to have some spoken words as they're doing it like: "Our constitution is under attack, and only one person can stop it." etc etc but don't mention his name until it's written on the document. Also, make sure the person is older, but do not show their face. Unless Paul will do the commercial (Unlikely), you will confuse people if the face isn't the same.

Yeah, I liked this one too.

Instead of having generic "businessmen", I'd try to get people who impersonate Hillary, Rudy, GW Bush, Mitt, et al. :D

LibertyEagle

skiingff
As someone who just had a promotional video made for a project, I can attest first hand how costs skyrocket the moment you talk about getting a film crew anywhere with their cameras. My primary concern here is that if costs run up, that means less money to run the ads.

If we can get the points across without incurring large cost, it provides more budget for more airtime.

Pro-bono is great, however, the moment you need something else, it's bono v. bono ;)

I voted for 15 (big surprise there since I wrote it). I submitted a rewrite, however it didn't make it to the poll. With the right graphics, text and narration, I feel that it could be a very powerful ad motif.

http://ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?p=135188#post135188

The thoughts behind my idea is something shorter than 30 sec that allows other graphics to be incorporated. Hopefully, we can get someone there to work pro-bono too :)

I also think that using the founding documents can be supported with narration, text, and graphics that will lead the viewer to check out Ron Paul. If we can mitigate cost, that means more airtime. Constructing a template also allows a smooth an easy transition for different states. I like other submissions as well, and I would be remiss if I didn't add that.

Thanks to everyone for their energies.

We can edit it if it wins, that's no problem. I just don't want to change it after 20 votes were already cast.

happyphilter
08-19-2007, 08:43 PM
IMPORTANT things to take into concideration

1) Do not attack any person in these ads, we do not want to alienate anyone or make any enemies.

2) Do not refer to the "revolution" or that RPs ideas are "different" We dont want him sounding crazy, so for that matter we shouldent be trying to convince people hes not, because he already is not!

3)MAKE SURE that what ron paul stands for is in the commercial! its important people learn. And leave controversial topics out of it. We are trying to target a broad audience, so no abortion.

pyrazole2
08-19-2007, 08:45 PM
#10 for me....but there's only 1 vote :(
Where's those three RP spammers when you need them? lol

from #7
camera behind car sees jesus fish and spins as car pulls into the driveway (left). man in car's wife is visible in left third of the shot running toward car in Ron Paul jesus fish shirt w/ her kids in tow (ron paul shirts). Husband pops out of the door and asks, "we're not late are we."

that's kinky...or something..lol.

akovacs
08-19-2007, 09:01 PM
I just want to add that no matter what the winning ad, try to use real ron paul supporters. You should have no shortage of them for any group you're trying to represent (soldier, mother, student, etc). It'd be great if you could even mention it without being tacky. I tire of ads with paid actors whose fake sincerity can be seen through a mile away.

AMack
08-19-2007, 09:19 PM
I would say: 7, 10, 16, 17, or 19.

I like 15 as well, but I would recommend adding a "Ron Paul, Hope for America" fade out to the end of it, and include the campaign website. We need to let the voters know where to find out more information on RP.

Anyways I voted for #10. I would have liked to vote for #19 as well though. They're both incredible ideas. I think that the shock value of #10 would help it stick in people's minds better, though. Thats why I chose it.

P.S. I'd be happy to donate to this cause. We really need to get some TV ads out there. Ideally I would say that we need an ad campaign that can sustain itself for 3 months, from November to January. Remember that many voters wait to make their decision until just weeks before they actually vote.

thomj76
08-19-2007, 09:30 PM
Any chance for a run off? :)

I know I'd like to polish #15 some.

I'm uploading my promotional video to youtube right now, and I will put the link here once it finishes. This is for my business, so I hope I don't offend anyone by posting it here. You will see the animation, graphics and filming that was done.

It's uploaded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0LTd5Ha8wQ

I know its not related, but then again, isn't everything relative?

devil21
08-19-2007, 09:56 PM
I like 19 as well. Instead of pot leaf shirt, maybe have the room a little "cloudy" and red eyes? lol

Jennifer Reynolds
08-19-2007, 11:10 PM
///

Santana28
08-19-2007, 11:15 PM
hey everyone - email your meetup group with a link to the poll. we need to get as many votes as possible ASAP! I just did!

DjLoTi
08-19-2007, 11:29 PM
19 is not going to have any reference to marijuana, I can tell you that! lol

I think the idea is to air these during local news times, though I could be wrong

Magsec
08-19-2007, 11:42 PM
Cool, my script made it in, and it has a couple votes from you guys already. Rock on, but I really wanted my idea to be taken as a springboard, not the actual commercial itself. Oh well...It was an idea I wanted to be expanded since I was kinda making it broad.

Jennifer Reynolds
08-19-2007, 11:47 PM
///

DjLoTi
08-20-2007, 12:20 AM
We can do some minor changes to clean it up a bit.

Santana28
08-20-2007, 01:24 AM
okay, i was going to stay out of this but since i came up with #19 i'll just remind you guys that there *was* an edit about the pot leaf... that was just a suggestion. i also suggested a bob marley poster on the wall, or a gay kid, or a feminist type college girl... doesn't have to be "America's future is going to pot" - LOL. Or that whole section could be cut out due to time constraints...i dont know.

And Jennifer,

i dont know where you are from but i'm from a town in Ohio that was once primarily an automotive and manufacturing mecca... now its in shambles. Everything went to Mexico or China. I can guarantee you that every person i know can tell you what NAFTA has done to this country. They might not know the details, but they know that when NAFTA came - all the jobs went elsewhere. What else do they need to know?

lets get some more votes!!

Jennifer Reynolds
08-20-2007, 03:11 AM
///

Jennifer Reynolds
08-20-2007, 03:13 AM
///

wgadget
08-20-2007, 05:46 AM
Can I switch my vote to #10?

mtmedlin
08-20-2007, 06:28 AM
okay, i was going to stay out of this but since i came up with #19 i'll just remind you guys that there *was* an edit about the pot leaf... that was just a suggestion. i also suggested a bob marley poster on the wall, or a gay kid, or a feminist type college girl... doesn't have to be "America's future is going to pot" - LOL. Or that whole section could be cut out due to time constraints...i dont know.

And Jennifer,

i don't know where you are from but I'm from a town in Ohio that was once primarily an automotive and manufacturing mecca... now its in shambles. Everything went to Mexico or China. I can guarantee you that every person i know can tell you what NAFTA has done to this country. They might not know the details, but they know that when NAFTA came - all the jobs went elsewhere. What else do they need to know?

lets get some more votes!!

You are correct, even if everybody doesn't know what NAFTA is, the people who we are trying to get by mentioning it know what it is. The agricultural lobby in those states definitely know what trade organizations have done. As for everybody else, let them self identify with other parts of the message. This is also why i think it would be best to use cable and not network channels. We need to target this message to specific groups. The average American does not vote in the primary. The general election gets somewhere close to 45 -50 % of eligible voters. The primary gets about half. We need to market to those that vote in primaries and research shows that those voters are typically more informed and educated.

Johnnybags
08-20-2007, 06:41 AM
So, Santana, are you up to my challenge? Go to the supermarket tomorrow or Walmart, bring a clipboard and ask 25 people what NAFTA and CAFTA are, what they do, whether they are good or bad, and whether or not we should support them.

extend the thought and those same 5th grade thinking adults also never vote. Take your clipboard and ask of those that do not know what NAFTA is how many vote regularly?

Santana28
08-20-2007, 07:54 AM
LOL... first off... i have no clipboard, and i work nights and see no one but my fellow handful of coworkers.... i'll ask them ;)

2nd, thats why there would be a Farmer talking about it. Each section plays to each particular segment of society. People who get that part will. People who don't, won't. No big deal - its broad enough that people will get the point. You can save your arguments for the editing phase, if it actually reaches that far.

And Jennifer, thanks... but in response to the type of people i am around - over half of my family doesn't even have a high school education. they were all factory workers who dropped out. no one in my family - including myself - has spent a single day in college. i currently work security - the people i see on a daily basis aren't exactly the cream of the crop intelligence-wise. But thanks for the compliment anyways ;)

peacemonger
08-20-2007, 08:20 AM
Many of the Mitt Romney voters in Iowa were senior citizens from retirement communities who would vote for anyone who offers them a T-shirt and a pork chop on a stick as long as bus service is provided. These same people vote in EVERY election.

I disagree with Jennifer on the fifth grade level. Most students get their first education lessons about goverment in the fifth grade. I think we should shoot for 3rd or 4th grade level. NAFTA, CAFTA, Marijuana, healthcare, and other complicated issues should probably be avoided in a 30 sec commercial.

We need to show more effective national defense, fiscal discipline, reduced taxes, and other mainstream 3rd grade level political issues. If voters feel like Ron Paul will not keep them safe, they will never vote for him.

I think we should focus on making him look strong and conservative. He is the one who should be explaining his positions in all of the more sophisticated issues. He is really good at it. We must not be considered kooks and we must not get lumped in with the "cut and run" crowd. Keep this in mind.

slantedview
08-20-2007, 08:49 AM
Wow you guys, there are some good scripts in there! I'd maybe eliminate a few though, that was a lot to read.

klamath
08-20-2007, 09:01 AM

On reflecting on this I like the blending images, or a boy and Girl. I don't think having one stereo type of person stating "I am the future." is the way to go. This would send the wrong message to all of those people that disagree. I understand the point you are trying to make that we don't want the government telling us what to do with our private lives and it is a great point. I don't think tying it to "I am the future" is wise.:)

EvoPro
08-20-2007, 09:03 AM
I think we should focus on making him look strong and conservative. He is the one who should be explaining his positions in all of the more sophisticated issues. He is really good at it. We must not be considered kooks and we must not get lumped in with the "cut and run" crowd. Keep this in mind.

Right. If this type of commercial gets done we need to show our strengths.

We think that we should actually capture terrorists and bring them to justice. Strive for better intelligence. Strengthen our borders. Restore the 2nd amendment. America first. Stop fighting to protect other countries, while putting our own in danger. End Incentives for opposition through neutrality in foreign affairs.

AMack
08-20-2007, 09:05 AM
#10 is very cool.

Alternate suggestion: make it the Constitution instead of the DoI. Rather than having him/her write RP's name on it (since there are no names in the first place) just have him/her smooth it out, examine it (have the camera looking over his/her shoulder so that it can easily see the "We the people" part, and then walk away whistling the national anthem, and fade out to a white screen and fade in the Ron Paul: Hope for America thing. And don't forget to link the website. Feel free to throw in some cool American-sounding background music near the end.

skiingff
08-20-2007, 09:13 AM
I don't think 19 will work. It is too sophisticated. Most Americans will not know what NAFTA is or CAFTA. If you say the whole thing, it sounds like he is against us going on vacation to Mexico and buying blankets and sombreros.

Think on a 5th grade level. That is what newspapers do. People are not as smart as you guys. It will go over their heads.

They also will not understand that something called a free trade agreement does not mean free trade. We do, but they don't. Many in Congress don't know what those agreements do.

I could be wrong. Just my two cents. You could test my theory by asking ten people at the supermarket tomorrow what they are, what they do, and whether they are good or bad.

I agree. The average American reads and comprehends at about a 6th grade level...

Santana28
08-20-2007, 09:27 AM
well, thast why we are voting on this and what the ad people are for. our opinions don't necessarily mean much at all. i happen to disagree with you about NAFTA - people know what Medicare is, don't they? Trust me - everyone has heard about it one way or another - through their NRA membership, or their support of Clinton, or their opposition of Clinton, or through trade unions, or by their company downsizing and shipping jobs to Mexico, and so on. I'm talking middle class america knows about this. I dont know where you guys with your doctorates are coming from - middle class america might "only" be functioning on a 6th grade education, but that doesn't mean we are too stupid to know why our jobs are going overseas. Give us some credit - if the level of education was the sole determining factor as to who we supported for president, Ron Paul would have far less supporters than he does already.

Man from La Mancha
08-20-2007, 09:28 AM
I agree. The average American reads and comprehends at about a 6th grade level...

I agree also, look how these presidential ads don't talk much more than peace, war, inflation, scaring and telling how bad the other candidates are.

http://livingroomcandidate.movingimage.us/index.php

Santana28
08-20-2007, 09:30 AM
oh, and dont forget - this isn't a national ad just yet. its only targeted for Iowa and New Hampshire, correct? Don't you think the farmers in Iowa will know what NAFTA is? And i'm sure the folks who can afford to live in NH are probably a little more "educated" than the rest of us...

klamath
08-20-2007, 09:59 AM
I really liked 10 also. The only thing I would change is the businessmen thing. Businessmen have been tarred by the left so long that normal Republicans automatically associate business bashing as a socialist issue.
In my early years my brothers and I would call each other "big fat cigar smoking businessmen" as an insult because that is what we learned from cartoons in the 1960s.
If that point comes across it will only reinforce to republicans that Paul is in the wrong party.

AMack
08-20-2007, 11:02 AM
I really liked 10 also. The only thing I would change is the businessmen thing. Businessmen have been tarred by the left so long that normal Republicans automatically associate business bashing as a socialist issue.
In my early years my brothers and I would call each other "big fat cigar smoking businessmen" as an insult because that is what we learned from cartoons in the 1960s.
If that point comes across it will only reinforce to republicans that Paul is in the wrong party.

Good point. How about a group of politicians? I don't know exactly how we would do that, though. Perhaps they could have buttons on their suit jackets indicating party preference? What would be a good way to distinguish politicians from businessmen?

Spirit of '76
08-20-2007, 11:59 AM
Good point. How about a group of politicians? I don't know exactly how we would do that, though. Perhaps they could have buttons on their suit jackets indicating party preference? What would be a good way to distinguish politicians from businessmen?

That's what I was saying before. Get some impersonators who look like Hillary, Obama, Dubya, Rudy...

Bradley in DC
08-20-2007, 12:24 PM
I vote against any personal attack ads--do not even mention other candidates. Stick to issues and Dr. Paul's positive message.

AMack
08-20-2007, 12:25 PM
That's what I was saying before. Get some impersonators who look like Hillary, Obama, Dubya, Rudy...

Haha I like this one. I really think that the shock value of the men breaking the glass case and crumpling the DoI or the Constitution would stick in people's heads, too.

Is this something that we will be able to donate to? I'd love to help out this ad campaign.

Spirit of '76
08-20-2007, 12:41 PM
I vote against any personal attack ads--do not even mention other candidates. Stick to issues and Dr. Paul's positive message.

I'm not suggesting attack ads, but in the ad involving a group of people breaking into the archives and trashing the constitution, a handful of look-alikes would drive the point home without ever saying a word.

Jared
08-20-2007, 01:03 PM
Most of these are really good. I voted for 6 because it's simple, effective, and doesn't have too much information.

lawdida
08-20-2007, 01:25 PM
IMPORTANT things to take into concideration
MAKE SURE that what ron paul stands for is in the commercial! its important people learn. And leave controversial topics out of it. We are trying to target a broad audience, so no abortion.

I'm new to this project so please forgive any misunderstandings I might have. My understanding is that this ad is intended to introduce Paul to people who no nothing about him. If that is the case, what's important is not that people learn but that they get a good feeling about him and want to find out more. Because any topic worth talking about is potentially controversial (relative to the viewer), the ad shouldn't talk about any issues. This, in my opinion, targets the broadest audience.

I liked 19 but ended up voting for 20 because its script (the actual words) is powerful, yet subtle, in how it portrays Paul as one who can unite people and lead them.

I'm not crazy about the first part although I do like its ambiguity:

I’m an American, and I love my country, but I’ve always felt that somehow, something was wrong. I’ve felt this way for some time now, but just couldn’t put my finger on it.

I'd prefer something more along the lines of: "For some time now I've tried to find an honest leader, someone to believe in but was never satisfied with the usual politicians."

The next part is great:

Then I heard Ron Paul. Ron Paul’s running for president. The things I heard Ron Paul say make sense; a LOT of sense, and a lot of people I know think so, too. Ron Paul knows what’s wrong with our country, and he knows how to fix it. That’s why I—that’s why WE -- support Ron Paul for President.”

The message is simple: Ron Paul is great. I like him, my friends like him, all kinds of people like him, and (by implication) you should like him too.

Remember, this is an introduction. People can then Google him and find out more but let's just start by helping them feel good about him. Granted, I feel good when Paul talks about the issues but Paul isn't appearing in the commercial. Besides, this is marketing. We want to first appeal to emotions not intellect. Everyone wants a leader, a uniter, someone who can fix problems, someone that appeals to a broad range of people and the average American. In contrast, there isn't a single "issue" that everyone agrees on.

wgadget
08-20-2007, 01:35 PM
On reflecting on this I like the blending images, or a boy and Girl. I don't think having one stereo type of person stating "I am the future." is the way to go. This would send the wrong message to all of those people that disagree. I understand the point you are trying to make that we don't want the government telling us what to do with our private lives and it is a great point. I don't think tying it to "I am the future" is wise.:)

How about using the "I am the future" thing, with each "group," but then melding each person into the Ron Paul mosaic. Then pan the camera out until you get the picture of Ron Paul. The message being that we are ALL Americans, no matter what our ethnicity, income, or intellect. You know--the anti-divisiveness that is so refreshing about Ron Paul.

Kinda start with the closeups, then pan out. Somehow, I don't think this is original. Did someone make a youtube to this effect?

Bro.Butch
08-20-2007, 01:37 PM
Congress is under 20% in the polls, whichever you choose don't use congressman. Doctor would be much better, most people like their doctor and dislike the congress and doctor shows he's smarter than most people. In fact I think he has a higher IQ than any of his opponents in either party.

Also, the ad should be produced to run anywhere in America with the legal language on screen in such away that any of us can get a copy and run it on our local cable company's lineup or our local affiliates. That's where you have to be very careful is in the F.E.C. compliance.

And I have always heard newspapers wrote on a third grade level. Of course after 30 years of a Federal Dept. of Education a 5th grade education might equal a 3rd from years back.:rolleyes:

Presidential Campaign ad campaigns usually start with introductory type ads. Most of America still doesn't know RP. This ad maybe the first time they are introduced to him. Because of costs it needs to be thirty seconds to get the most runs.

The wording could be tweated a little but I voted for #20, thinking it would be good to show that it's O K for anyone to vote for him because regular people, our neighbors are voting for him. Not just NUTJOBS-lol...Like us-LOL...

Elwar
08-20-2007, 02:00 PM
I like the ones that are generic and show people support Ron Paul and list some things that Ron Paul stands for. Shows support and gives a few tidbits of information about Ron Paul. That's what's needed in a widespread commercial.

I realise it's too late, but I had an idea for a commercial as I was reading through the others:

A city street, a bunch of people standing around a lady who is lying on the street. The guys standing around her are bewildered saying things such as
"I'm a lawyer, I can't help her." ... etc.

Then you see a fellow stepping through the crowd with a doctor's bag on his side.
Camera pans to the lady on the ground and you see that it's Lady Liberty, pale and in bad shape.
The doctor pulls out a rolled up copy of the Constitution with We The People showing on the front as he bends down to help her.
Next shot is either of the healthy Lady Liberty or a dramatic capture of the actual statue of liberty with some voice over saying things like Dr. Ron Paul supports the Constitution etc...etc...as much as can go in that short of a timeframe.

End with a shot of "Our government's sick, Our country needs a Doctor...NOT a lawyer"

Ron Paul 2008

krott5333
08-20-2007, 02:07 PM
#19 is by far the best.

I also like the one about writing Ron Paul's name on the declaration, but the 19th one would have a greater overall effect I believe. And yeah, I'd leave out the pot leaf.

LibertyEagle
08-20-2007, 03:02 PM
Congress is under 20% in the polls, whichever you choose don't use congressman. Doctor would be much better, most people like their doctor and dislike the congress and doctor shows he's smarter than most people. In fact I think he has a higher IQ than any of his opponents in either party.

That's interesting, because I've heard others say that when they hear Dr., they don't equate that with someone who in their minds, is Presidential material. But that they respond much more favorably when they hear "Congressman".

I don't know which is right, but I guess we'd better find out, eh?

ronpaulhawaii
08-20-2007, 04:11 PM

Yes.

How about using the "I am the future" thing, with each "group," but then melding each person into the Ron Paul mosaic. Then pan the camera out until you get the picture of Ron Paul. The message being that we are ALL Americans, no matter what our ethnicity, income, or intellect. You know--the anti-divisiveness that is so refreshing about Ron Paul.

Kinda start with the closeups, then pan out. Somehow, I don't think this is original. Did someone make a youtube to this effect?

Something like this would be good, a climax so to speak, the future...

That's interesting, because I've heard others say that when they hear Dr., they don't equate that with someone who in their minds, is Presidential material. But that they respond much more favorably when they hear "Congressman".

I don't know which is right, but I guess we'd better find out, eh?

Both.

<in the wild>

"Hi! have you heard of Dr. Paul yet? He's a ten term congressman from Texas running for president. He's all over the internet, a huge grassroots movement. It's not surprising you haven't heard of him till now. He's an honest politician and there ain't much money in that. Here, check out what he stands for............... "

Spirit of '76
08-20-2007, 04:18 PM
I realise it's too late, but I had an idea for a commercial as I was reading through the others:

A city street, a bunch of people standing around a lady who is lying on the street. The guys standing around her are bewildered saying things such as

Then you see a fellow stepping through the crowd with a doctor's bag on his side.
Camera pans to the lady on the ground and you see that it's Lady Liberty, pale and in bad shape.
The doctor pulls out a rolled up copy of the Constitution with We The People showing on the front as he bends down to help her.
Next shot is either of the healthy Lady Liberty or a dramatic capture of the actual statue of liberty with some voice over saying things like Dr. Ron Paul supports the Constitution etc...etc...as much as can go in that short of a timeframe.

End with a shot of "Our government's sick, Our country needs a Doctor...NOT a lawyer"

Ron Paul 2008

I like it!

EvoPro
08-20-2007, 04:32 PM

Yeah, this is really good. Maybe the last sentence could be re-worded a bit, but other than that it's awesome.

DjLoTi
08-20-2007, 05:22 PM
For those of you who are worried about offending people, to let you know, I sent my man in LA the leading script and he pointed out tons of stuff that NOBODY here caught. Some BIG things that slipped by all of us.

So, have confidence that my people know what they're doing. Thanks! :)

Bro.Butch
08-20-2007, 05:58 PM
For those of you who are worried about offending people, to let you know, I sent my man in LA the leading script and he pointed out tons of stuff that NOBODY here caught. Some BIG things that slipped by all of us.

I didn't know you wanted us to critique them, I saw something in all of them that needed changing, but didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings in the group. You and all your people need to work with the F.E.C. to save you some headaches later. Those people don't play !!!

I went back and looked @ #19 and don't think it will help the campaign as much as #20. We are trying to get votes not scare people away. When you talk about getting the gov't out of healthcare, you and I know and like what that means, most elderly (who vote in the largest percentages) would be frighten by such talk. They would think he wants to stop their medicare and that would KILL the campaign. You have to explain such "drastic" change to people. You don't throw it at them in a 30 seceond spot. Most people don't know the evil of the UN, so don't know how that part of the ad would broaden our voter base. You need to think like John Q Public, not from your patriotic, constitutionalist, libertarian or from wherever you are coming. We want to win an election not push our pet projects. That will come ONLY if we win. You have to be extremely careful not to have the elderly vote to turn on you. If you lose their vote you lose. If you get their votes you are on your way to victory.

DjLoTi
08-20-2007, 06:14 PM
It's a forum of open communication :)

lbrtylvr
08-20-2007, 06:24 PM
I like number 6, easy to understand for the unwashed masses.

Thom1776
08-20-2007, 06:46 PM
The BIGGEST problem with almost ALL the ads is timing. Only a few of them could actually fit into 30 seconds. #3 would take almost a minute and a half!

Santana28
08-20-2007, 06:48 PM
i dont think we should be shooting down things because of the way they are worded - that can be addressed after 1) it is chosen as the one we are definitely going with, and 2) they can be easily altered without changing the basic premise of the ad.

the point is whether or not the ad does a good job of attracting people to ron paul and his basic stances, and which format does a better job of accomplishing that. wording can be revised later.

Marc Scott Emery
08-20-2007, 07:45 PM
holy hell....how many people do you expect to read 20 scripts?

I read all 20, and so must have most participants in the poll because #19 is far away in the lead, and thats my favorite also. I voted #19.

krott5333
08-20-2007, 07:49 PM

such as?

Jennifer Reynolds
08-21-2007, 12:29 AM

////

themanhere
08-21-2007, 01:08 AM
can you change them and just go with this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rEN12wN1wU (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rEN12wN1wU)

haha just joking

acstichter
08-21-2007, 01:44 AM
I like #19. Perhaps, change the soldier line to .."would never send me out to nation build again."

Try to make each character as traditional as possible.

DeadheadForPaul
08-21-2007, 01:56 AM
I like #19 though the pot thing should be left out

skiingff
08-21-2007, 01:06 PM
Over 100 different people have casted their vote.

Voting will close in 8 hours since we seem to have a clear and definite winner (the current winning script has over twice the amount of votes than the second place script). However, since it's already too late to get the winning script to the producers today for editing and production, we will send it in late tonight and they can start working on it early tomorrow morning and into the end of this week and next. In the meanwhile, whoever hasn't voted has an opportunity to cast their vote. And we can start discussing how to get this current first-place ad into 30 seconds and edited properly for a state-wide audience to portray Ron Paul in the best light possible. We might have to cut out some of the characters in this script...

outasight1
08-21-2007, 03:06 PM
Guys, I think alot are good to one degree or another. #19 is ok but I think it's a bit too complicated for some people's thought patterns. It seems to me that the most clear, concise and straightforward is #13 (and I do anything to avoid that number). It's honestly the only one that would capture my attention. Many of the others would seem too status quo for political ads and if I wasn't already a Ron Paul supporter I wouldn't even pay attention. JMHO FWIW:D

skiingff
08-21-2007, 07:12 PM
Vote Closed.

We have a winner!!!

Script 19 is the winner, with 34 of 111 votes, or 31% of the vote. Script 7 (which I voted for :p ) came in a distant second with 15 of 111 votes, or 14%. The other 60-some-odd votes were for the other scripts, which were also very good!!!

See the full results here:
http://www.snappoll.com/view_results.php?poll_id=213626

Now that we have a winner, let's move forward and talk about how to edit this thing into a 30-second TV spot...

[scenes while driving from the road, passing RP signs, or going under an overpass with a RP banner hanging]

Text and narrator : "So, just who is Ron Paul?"

Rugged Farmer standing in corn field: "RP wants to get us out of NAFTA, CAFTA, and end unfair corporate subsidies"

Mother with children in her home: "RP wants to get the government out of our healthcare and educational systems - so I am free to choose how my children grow and learn"

Soldier in fatigues: "RP voted NO to the Iraq War in 2002, and will never ask me to fight and die to enforce UN Resolutions"

Hispanic man (fluent english speaking, in business suit?): "RP believes in the rule of law, and will not allow those who cheat the system to profit from it at my expense"

College kid in dorm room (a white male with a pot leaf shirt?? hehe): "RP is the only politician who believes I have a right to live my life how i choose, as an individual"

[Flash to each subject in order]
Farmer - "I am an American Farmer"
Mother - "I am an American Mother"
Soldier - "I am an American Soldier"
Hispanic - "I am an American Citizen"
College Kid - "I am America's Future"

[Show RP meetup group holding signs]
Group - "We're Taking a Stand for Our Rights - Vote Ron Paul for President in 2008!"

P.S. I will leave the vote page up, and you can still vote for fun if you want!!! And read the thoughtful, creative, and ingenius scripts you guys submitted. Thanks for all your submissions.

Bro.Butch
08-21-2007, 09:01 PM
Hey Ma ! What Pa ! That lady on that ad said that Ron Paul fellow wants to get the gov't out of healthcare. You know what that means, he would cut our medicare out and cut the medicade to Suzy and the great grandbaby ! We got to vote against that SOB and get all the kids and grandkids to vote against him and start working against him. We'd both die without our medication. He's plum dangerous to this country and MUST BE STOPPED !!!:mad:

Ron Paul said he wasn't going to put anyone out on the street, not just cut people off that have become dependent on this system. You need to think long and hard before you finalize that script , you can do more damage to the campaign than the good RP has done in six months of campaigning !

If it's not in his official platform that can be found under issues on his website, it shouldn't be used period. You go to all this trouble and HQ requests that you not run the ad as worded, then what ? I'd make sure everything matches up with his platform and there won't be any problems with HQ.

I think it is an outstanding idea and still hope it can be used all over America on local cable & network affiliates. Most people just don't think anything is really important unless they see it on TV ! If the people start seeing RP ads all over the US his poll numbers will surely rise...:)

skiingff
08-21-2007, 09:06 PM
Hey Ma ! What Pa ! That lady on that ad said that Ron Paul fellow wants to get the gov't out of healthcare. You know what that means, he would cut our medicare out and cut the medicade to Suzy and the great grandbaby ! We got to vote against that SOB and get all the kids and grandkids to vote against him and start working against him. We'd both die without our medication. He's plum dangerous to this country and MUST BE STOPPED !!!:mad:

Ron Paul said he wasn't going to put anyone out on the street, not just cut people off that have become dependent on this system. You need to think long and hard before you finalize that script , you can do more damage to the campaign than the good RP has done in six months of campaigning !

If it's not in his official platform that can be found under issues on his website, it shouldn't be used period. You go to all this trouble and HQ requests that you not run the ad as worded, then what ? I'd make sure everything matches up with his platform and there won't be any problems with HQ.

I think it is an outstanding idea and still hope it can be used all over America on local cable & network affiliates. Most people just don't think anything is really important unless they see it on TV ! If the people start seeing RP ads all over the US his poll numbers will surely rise...:)

Excellent point. We have to cut *something* out to make this ad 30 seconds. Let's start with the healthcare line. Any other comments?

Santana28
08-21-2007, 09:47 PM
Well, how about this revision:

----------------------
Rugged Farmer standing in corn field: "RP wants to do away with so-called Free-Trade agreements like NAFTA, and end unfair corporate subsidies"

Mother with children in her home: "RP wants to privatize our healthcare and educational systems - so I am free to choose what is best for my family"

Soldier in fatigues: "RP voted NO to the Iraq War in 2002, and will never ask me to fight and die to enforce UN Resolutions"

Hispanic man (fluent english speaking, in business suit?): "RP believes in the rule of law, and will not allow those who cheat the system to profit from it"

College kid in dorm room (black male, gay male, or liberal female?): "RP believes I have a right to live my life how i choose, as an individual"

----------------------------------

If we absolutely had to cut one of the scenes - i'd take out the college kid before any of the others. We could cut the healthcare part out entirely, but i thought it went well with a concerned mother.. and healthcare is a bigger issue than education at the moment it seems...

skiingff
08-21-2007, 10:29 PM
Well, how about this revision:

----------------------
Rugged Farmer standing in corn field: "RP wants to do away with so-called Free-Trade agreements like NAFTA, and end unfair corporate subsidies"

Mother with children in her home: "RP wants to privatize our healthcare and educational systems - so I am free to choose what is best for my family"

Hispanic man (fluent english speaking, in business suit?): "RP believes in the rule of law, and will not allow those who cheat the system to profit from it"

College kid in dorm room (black male, gay male, or liberal female?): "RP believes I have a right to live my life how i choose, as an individual"

----------------------------------

If we absolutely had to cut one of the scenes - i'd take out the college kid before any of the others. We could cut the healthcare part out entirely, but i thought it went well with a concerned mother.. and healthcare is a bigger issue than education at the moment it seems...

I don't think "privatize" would go over well either... I'm not even sure this script can fit in 30 secs, we might have to take a line out anyway

acstichter
08-21-2007, 11:34 PM
I just want to give my opinion on strategy.

Some suggestions have been to aim at a 6th grade level. I think you are correct that the mass of population can think at this level and are ignorant of anything in politics. But these people JUST DON'T VOTE.

The important goal we have is to get people to show up at a primary election 8 months before the general election. Historically, this election draws a very slim percentage of voters. Probably like 8%.

We need to focus on people who are already planning to vote or who are angry enough to vote for the first or rare time. There will be some people who will vote for the first or rare time from being inspired by Ron Paul's message and honesty.

There is a lot of strategy we could get into on this and there are plenty of hot button topics we could use. But I think any large effort such as this commercial should be focused on winning the largest number of votes from the groups described above.

Jennifer Reynolds
08-22-2007, 02:29 AM
I don't think "privatize" would go over well either... I'm not even sure this script can fit in 30 secs, we might have to take a line out anyway

///

wgadget
08-22-2007, 08:42 PM
Hey, doesn't Ron Paul oppose farm subsidies?

That's what it says in Wikipedia:

In an "overwhelmingly rural region," Paul opposes farm subsidies because they go to big corporations rather than small farmers. Despite voting against bills with large support in Congress, such as the farm bill, the congressman's "contrarian nature" and devotion to lowering taxes has appealed to voters in the 14th District.[34]

Unless you're referring to "small farmers."

zeuslegion
08-23-2007, 01:48 AM
Working in radio, I've had many chats with the marketing people who sell and create spots and the one thing they've all told me is to focus on a single, powerful idea and then reinforce it. What idea you choose for the central theme should be as far-reaching and as bi-partisan as possible.

Also, get your product (the candidacy of Ron Paul in this case) in at least twice for a 30 second spot.

The best scenario would be multiple spots each focusing on a central tenet of RP's campaign. If that can't be done, then sure, the next best bet is to hit on three of Dr. Paul's prime campaign issues and do so in as dramatic a fashion as possible.

Also, if you're doing TV, show the goods. Dr. Paul should physically be in the spot (if TV) at the end and being his smiling, honest, good-natured self. That's the perfect time for him to...

NARRATOR: "Who's Ron Paul?"

[medium shot] Ron Paul steps forward from the shadows and into the light.

RP: "I am."

[Close up shot] Zoom in on a smiling Dr. Paul

RP: "And I approve this message. Join the Ron Paul Revolution and help [line that asks the viewer to aid in combatting the negative side of the spot's central theme i.e. accountability to government, bring the troops home, spread the message of individual liberty, etc.]."

[WEB URL ON SCREEN WITH PHOTO OF RP]

Just my 2 cents.

Santana28
08-23-2007, 10:33 AM
zeus, i'm pretty sure we can't have Ron Paul physically in this ad - this is not affiliated with HQ in any way, and we can't even imply that either. only the campaign can do that. trust me... i think the only person qualified to say half these things best is Dr. Paul himself - but i think we're trying to do the next best thing : Represent his ideals, and the kind of people that support him.

also - theres been a lot of broad criticism, but so far no one has really made any suggestions as to what they think would make it better (specifics). Anyone have any suggestions before its all said and done?

Rivington Essex
08-23-2007, 10:52 AM
Nice job.

mtmedlin
08-23-2007, 03:01 PM
We could go with something really obnoxious and have it read

"Ron Paul apply directly to the brain, Ron Paul apply directly to the brain, Ron Paul apply directly to the brain, Ron Paul apply directly to the brain, Ron Paul apply directly to the brain, Ron Paul apply directly to the brain"

nevesis
08-24-2007, 03:33 PM
i vote for #8.

but more importantly:

DON'T VOTE FOR AN AD THAT YOU LIKE.

VOTE FOR AN AD YOU THINK WILL BE EFFECTIVE IN:

(A) Getting the general public to notice RP

(B) Getting RP's message out

Seriously, most of these ads are written as if to appeal to this forum.

BillyDkid
08-27-2007, 02:12 PM
Wow, this is tough. There are a lot of good ideas. I voted for #19, but I really liked #7 too. I think upbeat is really good rather than dwelling on all the stuff that we know is wrong. HOPE is what compells people and Ron offers hope. You know what would be nice is to use that Ron Paul picture from the Ames ad in some way - say, panning out from a closeup up to reveal Ron's portrait and saying "We are Ron Paul and we paid for this ad." To repeat, I think the issues with the war and with the economy and the "new world order" are so in people's conciousness they go without saying and people are sick of hearing about those things. Concentrating on the promise that Dr. Paul offers is the way to go. A while back I would have said the "flag drapped coffin" approach was the way to go, but I have changed my mind. My two cents.

wgadget
09-04-2007, 06:03 AM
Yes, if I remember correctly, Reagan's candidacy offered hope back in the 80's. Then as well as now, that's what people want and need from a President.

As well as integrity.

Ron Paul has both.

yaz
09-06-2007, 11:11 PM
I voted for #8 but since it seems like #19 will win here is my opinion on what to change:

19th Script:

[scenes while driving from the road, passing RP signs, or going under an overpass with a RP banner hanging]

Text and narrator : "So, just who is Ron Paul?"

Rugged Farmer standing in corn field: "RP wants to get us out of NAFTA, CAFTA, and end unfair corporate subsidies" there needs to be a reason why with this.a lot of people think we're perfect right now and don't want change.

Mother with children in her home: "RP wants to get the government out of our healthcare and educational systems - so I am free to choose how my children grow and learn" and add that it is the way things used to be. a lot of people think by getting government out of these systems-- it will jeopardize many good things that we have now. in other words people are content about what we have now and don't realize that it can be better. add a reason why it is better this way.

Soldier in fatigues: "RP voted NO to the Iraq War in 2002, and will never ask me to fight and die to enforce UN Resolutions" And add that a wrongly declared war should be rightly fix and give an example of Reagan.

Hispanic man (fluent english speaking, in business suit?): "RP believes in the rule of law, and will not allow those who cheat the system to profit from it at my expense"

College kid in dorm room (a white male with a pot leaf shirt?? hehe): "RP is the only politician who believes I have a right to live my life how i choose, as an individual" no pot leaf on the shirt please

[Flash to each subject in order]
Farmer - "I am an American Farmer"
Mother - "I am an American Mother"
Soldier - "I am an American Soldier"
Hispanic - "I am an American Citizen"
College Kid - "I am America's Future"

[Show RP meetup group holding signs]
Group - "We're Taking a Stand for Our Rights - Vote Ron Paul for President in 2008!"

bumbledraven
09-08-2007, 02:13 PM
It's all about #10. But change it to be politicians instead of businessmen. #10 is brilliant. #19 seems to be winning, but it's basically the same old tired generic political ad format. #10 will stand out.

phixonpolitics
09-08-2007, 03:46 PM
I like #10 in general. I kind of had in my mind's eye something like a flash scene of people gathering, some security officer shaking head and pointing, and all the people go to where he is pointing, which happens to be a free speech zone. (Or maybe a church slapped with an IRS symbol). Flash to what looks like the constitution with amendments and a hand tears off the first amendment. Go to another flash scene showing Katrina confiscation of arms, then of course to the next amendment being torn off. No words really, so the visual says the message. A no-knock scene for the 4th amendment, text Roe v. Wade followed by the 10th amendment. Then "restore your rights"; backward run of the tearing to end at the uncompromised Constitution and bill of rights; ending with "Vote Ron Paul for President."

Now that I'm thinking about it, the tearing should start at the bottom, with the whole constitution and 1st amendment tossed at the last. Go from least inflammatory to most, then backwards repair of constitution, etc.

Colleen
09-08-2007, 05:30 PM
I went with 19 but would nix the pot reference. The ones who are into that will hear some other way. We need to reach average folks here, I think.

apropos
09-08-2007, 08:21 PM
#19 was the strongest, IMO. It is short, simple, and true to the message. The pot reference might alienate voters - I think a cartoony, quirky/clever shirt might work best. How about Paul's 'Don't steal - the Gov. hates competition' saying might be a good fit for the shirt.

Marceline88
09-08-2007, 10:19 PM
Okay, the visuals on #7 are VERY effective....makes me choke up just imagining it, and it's completely truthful.......number #10 hits the emotion buttons too. I like what #3 and #19 are saying. Here's my two bits.....do the visuals from #7, a gathering around a town square forming, happy people of all sorts joining together, but do a voice over that is a conglomeration of #3 and #19........"hard working americans like you are donating their money time and energy and coming together to support Ron Paul, he will defend our freedom by defending the COnstitution." Have the folks walking to the town square turn to the camera, or even in just a mental voice over say, I am an American Farmer, I am an American Solider, I am an American Mother, and have a young child who is beaming in anticipation of the event think aloud..."I am the future of America." Blend the best bits together. And show RP at a podium and have the ending be a raucous cheer and waving flags, pumping fists and the Ron Paul President 2008 logo overlay it all. And you have to have the instrumental patriotic music that raises to a crescendo. Keep it positive, keep it bright....show what it is he IS fighting for!!!!!

Make it look like the VICTORY that we are all craving.
Whatcha think?