PDA

View Full Version : Absentee Ballots - Trustworthy?

bc2208
08-19-2007, 06:39 PM
College student here, should I trust that my absentee ballot will be counted? Or drive 4 hours to vote in person?

Scribbler de Stebbing
08-19-2007, 06:52 PM
Where do you live? What's the disadvantage to voting where you go to school?

Absentee ballots are often counted days later, for what that's worth.

bc2208
08-19-2007, 07:10 PM
I live in NY and go to school in Boston. Registered in NY.

Richie
08-19-2007, 07:47 PM
Their reliability varies from state to state. In some states, they are counted within days of the election; while in others, they don't count them at all unless the election is close or there is a recount. You'll be able to find the information you need on your state's board of elections website.

Razmear
08-19-2007, 07:50 PM
If you go to school in Boston, you should be able to register to vote in Boston if you want to.

maiki
08-19-2007, 09:28 PM
You are more likely to be able to influence the MA primary (which has very few republicans, and many dissatisfied with Mitt's flip flopping, and is close to NH), than in the NY primary (which is likely going to guiliani, and has a lot more republicans). For the National election, I don't foresee either of those states going Red, so I don't think it matters that much.

I would avoid absentee voting, though, if at all possible.

bc2208
08-19-2007, 09:30 PM
But do you need proof of residence? All I could show is my lease.

maiki
08-19-2007, 09:34 PM
A lease does work.
http://www.mass.gov/rmv/license/primary-secondary-docs.pdf

maiki
08-19-2007, 09:37 PM
Adding: if you don't want to get an MA driver's license, you can also submit a bank statement or utility bill to your address as proof of residency.

http://www.eac.gov/docs/NVRA%20FINAL%20UPDATE%2003-13-06.pdf

ThePieSwindler
08-19-2007, 09:50 PM
I'm a college freshman so its not like ihave a lease or proof of rent payment.. i live in CT but go to school in GA... is there any hope at all?

On this site: http://www.uselections.com/faq_absentee.htm#3
it says connecticut simply does "not count before noon on election day" meaning they count it whenver after... that seems pretty open ended, and seems to be VERY open to not being counted until after the election. Others have hard cutoffs, and i like california where its counted BEFORE the election!

Razmear
08-19-2007, 09:54 PM
I'm a college freshman so its not like ihave a lease or proof of rent payment.. i live in CT but go to school in GA... is there any hope at all?

If you have any utility bills then there is probably hope, if not then maybe something from the school saying you are a resident student.
Students living out of state are allowed to vote in the state they currently reside in, but I'm sure each state is different in what proof they require.

eb

ThePieSwindler
08-19-2007, 09:58 PM
so its completely pointless to send in an absentee ballot then? It seems most states count them before the election is even over... of course CT doesn't necessarily, but many seem to. Is there evidence of states not counting absentees until after the given cutoff?

maiki
08-19-2007, 11:06 PM
Check with the GA DMV, but in MA, a school transcript or a school tuition bill both can be used as proof of residence. A letter from the registrar might also work, check with your DMV. A driver's license is sufficient proof of residence to vote.