PDA

View Full Version : Keep Swimming, Just Keep Swimming...

georgiaboy
03-28-2008, 11:39 AM
So I'm at a family gathering last night, and lo and behold, a major political discussion erupts. There were liberals and conservatives all involved, about eight of us, college-educated middle-aged adults. It all started when I was asked directly out of the blue my views on foreign policy. I went straight into my desire for a strong defense, not offense, protecting borders, ending the 700+ bases in over 130 countries,.... Comments were to the effect "and you're a conservative?" I was thrilled to reply "Yes! That's what traditional conservatism is!" Liberals were slapping me on the back. War hawks were following along intently.

Eyes were opened.

Then we proceeded in to domestic policy. Economic & monetary policy, taxation, entitlements, same-sex marriage. We talked about what was actually in the Constitution, the fact that it is intended to place limits on the federal gov't, the complete lack of authorization for so much of what the gov't was doing, how local and private institutions, freely choosing individuals, can do so much better. Conservatives slapped me on the back. Liberals pondered.

Eyes were opened.

How do we move forward? I was asked. (drumroll please)

My reply to a roomful: First and foremost, vote for Ron Paul in the 2008 election. Laughter, but the point sank in.

I tried to end the conversation, because I frankly got tired after a full-on Q&A session for over an hour.

But people were hungry.

Keep on, everyone. Keep on. People are searching for the answer, and we have it. And the election isn't over.

I'd be interested in similar stories.

georgiaboy

acptulsa
03-28-2008, 11:42 AM
These stories pop up on this board every day. Good work.

acptulsa
03-28-2008, 11:46 AM
I'm telling you, it's a psychological phenomenon. Dr. Paul was a threat to the status quo. He was squelched. Now he's been pronounced done, threat gone. Now they've gone into "you don't know what you've got 'till its gone" mode.

They're learning to miss him. If we can work a miracle at the convention, how happy will they be to know he's not gone?

This psychological phenomenon can be our best friend.

JK/SEA
03-28-2008, 11:47 AM
Great post. Everybody searching for answers, and they are right in front of them.

Sometimes i physically weep for our country.

I am a RP country delegate in Washington State, and 57 years old. I come from a dem. family, and have had my mind and eyes opened by my 27 year old son, who is an alternate delegate. We have our county convention next week, the 5th.

nc4rp
03-28-2008, 12:42 PM
cool!

i was a clients house yeserday and they saw my Ron Paul bumper sticker and asked "why Ron Paul? why mot mitt romney?"

I replied: "Well for one thing Romney isnt in the race still"

He said "well neither is ron paul" we laughed.

I said (something to the effect) "Yes Paul is still in and sweeping delegates nationwide. Im a delegate and there is growing enthusiasm for Puals message, theres a strong desire for returning to the gold-backed-dollar" (my client is a financial expert) then i proceeded about the issue of the fed being a private corp 'printing money out of thin air' and how it was debasing our currency etc etc."

he agreed, saying they are against McCain.

then He said laughing "but Paul doesnt stand a chance at winning"

I said laughing "as long as people are becomng delegates theres a chance.

he said "no chance"

I said well,, theres a small chance.

he said: " no chance"

i said " well, a small chance"

he said no.

i said "a small chance"

the we and his wife discussed a few of Pauls Policies and how i was a delegate and how we are fighting for returning fiscal responsibility etc ect blah blah.

his wife asked me how she could become a delegate.

the conversation shifted around awhile, but in the end we agreed that obama and clinton wouldnt really fix anything and how we all are anti-mccain.

anyways. i thought you might find that interesting. i finished the job and we parted under good circumstances. you can bet they were pondering our discussion afterwards.

RCA
03-28-2008, 02:42 PM
Great job! Don't forget to tell them to pre-order his book!