PDA

View Full Version : Door-to-dooring?

wgadget
08-19-2007, 04:22 PM
Hey,

At our last meetup group, someone brought up the idea of going door-to-door handing people slimjims or liberty cards.

The upshot was that it really annoys people and should not be done.

The same response was given for putting slimjims on car windshields or mail boxes.

In a way, I see their point, but does anyone have any good ideas on how to spread the word without annoying people?

kalami
08-19-2007, 04:36 PM
I don't think you're allowed to put anything in mail boxes.

derdy
08-19-2007, 04:50 PM
Hey,

At our last meetup group, someone brought up the idea of going door-to-door handing people slimjims or liberty cards.

The same response was given for putting slimjims on car windshields or mail boxes.

In a way, I see their point, but does anyone have any good ideas on how to spread the word without annoying people?

don't pay attention to those that say it annoys people. a member of my local meetup group and I went and passed out 100 flyers door-to-door. Didn't knock on any doors, but if people were outside we would talk to them (best time to do this is on the weekends). The people we did encounter said they admired us for what we were doing, even a Bush supporting neo-con who we had a lengthy discussion with! Even though he didn't agree on foreign policy, he talked at length about Iraq and "WMDs", he wasn't aware that we sold US Treasuries to foreign countries. At times it got a little heated, but he still shook our hands before we left and, again, said he admired us for what we were doing. People were also suprised that we weren't being paid by the campaign to do this, but had just taken time out of our weekend to get the word out.

Out of the 100 flyers we passed out, we got two new members to our meetup group! From a marketing perspective that is not bad at all. Especially since it was just a flyer. Now, I personally plan on going and knocking on doors (I'm a people person and know my stuff) and handing out flyers along with a Ron Paul compilation DVD, America: Freedom to Fascism, and Pretext for the North American Union. The reason I hand out AFTF and Pretext for the NAU is because I believe that my fellow citizens have the RIGHT to know what's going on in this country; if the media won't inform the citizenry, I will.

Approach this how you feel will work best for YOU. In my experience, people are open, receptive, and a lot of people are PO'd at the current state of affairs in our country and where we are headed.

I say go for it!

Peace,
Denny

Scribbler de Stebbing
08-19-2007, 04:53 PM
What state are you in? If IA, NH or SC, yes, do go door-to-door. Those primaries are fast approaching and we need to bring up name recognition.

But nothing INSIDE mailboxes. You can usually open the screen door, slide the slim jim in and close the door on it. Or wedge it behind the mailbox if attached to the house. I got to be a real pro at this during my own campaign.

Ringing the doorbell and talking to people is optional: it's nice to do, but only about 1/2 people are home even on a Saturday, more like 1/5 during the week. But you have to stand there for 30 seconds at least to find out. So you cover a WHOLE lot fewer houses that way.

Don't let an annoyance argument stand in your way. If that were true, no politicians would go door to door. Often people are grateful that someone cared enough to stop by.

Scribbler de Stebbing
08-19-2007, 04:55 PM
Oh, oh, oh, PLEASE do not put Freedom to Fascism WITH Ron Paul material. If you want to go around doing AFTF, that is perfectly fine. OR you can go around distributing Ron Paul. But not both together. PLEASE.

LibertyEagle
08-19-2007, 04:56 PM
QuickMike has been going door-to-door for MONTHS and from what he has said, it has been very successful.

Personally, I'd much rather be courteously handed a flyer than for one to be stuck on my windshield. Being polite and professional, goes a long way. It's hard for people to get angry.

derdy
08-19-2007, 05:00 PM
Oh, oh, oh, PLEASE do not put Freedom to Fascism WITH Ron Paul material. If you want to go around doing AFTF, that is perfectly fine. OR you can go around distributing Ron Paul. But not both together. PLEASE.

lol Ron Paul is in Freedom to Fascism.

In my opinion, if people don't understand the issues, why would they support Ron Paul and his stance on those issues, for example, the IRS.

Again, my approach and I've gotten great feedback so I will press onward. :D

Bryan
08-19-2007, 05:05 PM
Yes, block walking is good. If you're going to ring door bells it's best to get the voter registration list for your precinct so you can know names to better address them, many prefer to only go to doors of registered voters. Consider leaving a slimjim for those not registered. Most importantly, when you find Ron Paul friendly people write down their address, get a phone number if possible so you can call them on election day, get them a yard sign later or whatever.

Our meet-up is going door-to-door on a precinct by precinct level to break things up.

Bossobass
08-19-2007, 05:06 PM
Door to door is effective...period.

We have done it all along and plan to continue doing it. I also plan to do the same in NH and SC.

If the group disagrees, do it yourself.

Bosso

max
08-19-2007, 05:15 PM

************************************************** *************************************

Excuse me....but the pussies who worry about "annoying people" are totally useless to our fight.
Windshields are great because of the sheer numbers u can do in a short time. What do they think is gonna happen?

SCENARIO:

Bill is having a conversation with his friend Tom at the office water cooler.

Citizen Bill: Hey Tom. I'm impressed with this Ron Paul guy. Who are u leaning towards?

Citizen Tom: I will NEVER vote for that guy!

Citizen Bill: Why not?

Citizen Tom: I was coming out the food store the other day, and someone left a Ron Paul flyer on my car. That annoyed me. I like the idea of getting rid of the IRS and bringing the troops home, but because of that flyer on my windhsield, I have to vote for Romney.

Citizen Bill: They put a flyer on your windshield! I'm glad you told me that. I was getting getting ready to vote for Ron Paul, but now I'll reconsider

Come guys! Stop being wussies and get out and fight! For every jerkoff that gets "annoyed", there are 10 others who will appreciate some good information.

Our group blasts voter guides on 1000's of windshields and people actually read them!...download this and make a zillion copies... www.RonPaulPostcards.com/candidates.html

Sean
08-19-2007, 05:35 PM
I think we need a Ron Paul supporter on every block especially in early states. Maybe take time to talk to each person on a street until you find one that will support Ron Paul. Then get their contact info. Leave them campaign material and ask them to recruit people on their own street. I think people can be better persuaded by someone they know. Follow up with a phone call to see if they got any firm support.

Basically just not recruit people, but recruit them and train them to recruit others also.

mconder
08-19-2007, 05:38 PM

Our Meetup has done this extensively. We have had no complaints.

Sean
08-19-2007, 05:39 PM
I believe it is against the law to place items in mail boxes. That is why people say not to do it.

Alabama Supporter
08-19-2007, 05:54 PM
FTF is not an effective tool for the general public. Personally, it falls under the category of conspiracy theory stuff to the average citizen. We all have to realize that there are alot of folks out there that don't want their eyes opened. We just have to persuade them to vote RP

max
08-19-2007, 06:02 PM
AFTF is well resercahed and well done....anyone who watches it and isnt convinced that there is something dreadfully wrong in america....will never be a Ron paul supporter anyway..

yall need to stop worrying about those folks that you cant convert and focus on the ones who DO want to learn

Wyurm
08-19-2007, 06:03 PM
I have posted an extensive article on this before. But yes go door to door, its not that hard and if you're respectful and considerate then it won't annoy people. Don't shove it down their throats and you'll be fine, but definitely go door to door.

Alabama Supporter
08-19-2007, 06:13 PM
AFTF is BORING people.

Show them actual Ron Paul footage from debates or rallys. How long does it take before RP is even interviewed on AFTF? People have short attention spans. We are trying to win an election people.

Sorry to hijack the thread. I'm taking this conversation here: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?p=135133#post135133

Scribbler de Stebbing
08-19-2007, 06:18 PM
AFTF is well resercahed and well done....anyone who watches it and isnt convinced that there is something dreadfully wrong in america....will never be a Ron paul supporter anyway..

yall need to stop worrying about those folks that you cant convert and focus on the ones who DO want to learn

It was a turnoff for me. If I wasn't already a Ron Paul supporter, it would definitely not turn me toward Ron Paul.

Look, it may very well be true that the income tax is illegal. In fact, it's probably true that it is unconstitutional in various ways. But they have bigger guns than I do. That, and I'm claustrophobic. Prison would be a real hassle for me.

Most people will watch the first ten minutes of that film and write it off as kookery, not matter how well-researched it is. I'm just telling you what people will think. And if you are associating Ron Paul with tax evasion, you are not in any way helping him.

Yes, I heard he was in the movie. I didn't watch that far. And before you say I shouldn't criticize something I didn't watch all the way through, most people won't even get as far as I did and will have the same reaction.

Like I said, it's fine if you want to go hand out the movie BY ITSELF. Just don't associated it with Ron Paul's campaign.

born2drv
08-19-2007, 06:23 PM
just curious where do people get their flyers printed the cheapest? how much does it cost? do you put it on colored paper?

max
08-19-2007, 06:34 PM
just curious where do people get their flyers printed the cheapest? how much does it cost? do you put it on colored paper?

Ace Information and Print

these guys are AWESOME

out of oklahoma.....1000 8.5 x 11 fliers = $35, 2,000 = $50, 3000 = $70, 5000 = $111

For color paper add only $6 per 1000 (highly recommended)

orders over $100 is free shipping....you can e-mail your word doc to them.....

405-677-6747....aceinfo@aol.com

consider using the Voter Guide my group uses...u can customize the last line for your meetup group....highly informative...
RonPaulPostcards.com/candidates.html

fluoridatedbrainsoup
08-19-2007, 06:37 PM
Just successfully solicited about seven people with my friend who works for a sun room company, selling sun rooms. Some of them we went inside and talked at great lengths with, about sun rooms. Was recently (yesterday) solicited by papa john's for some 20 pizzas deal. Gave him some water.

Soliciting Freedom is a fantastic idea, and I'm sure many would prefer it. At the least you would get some good thought-stimulating conversation going. Some are starving for it ;)

wgadget
08-19-2007, 06:39 PM
Hey, everybody, thanks for all the great replies.

I realize that I can't put something IN a mailbox, but I believe it's acceptable to tape something ON a mailbox, e.g. a Liberty Card or slimjim.

I'd like to go to festivals and concerts (Freedom Concerts..lol) and put Ron Paul flyers on windshieds; or put Ron Paul statements of faith on windshields during church services. I wonder if there would be any blowback. Of course, they wouldn't really know who to blame for such a guerilla tactic.

I have to say that I am sometimes mildly perturbed at finding things on my mailbox or windshield, but I think I prefer it to someone actually knocking on my door. But I think you're right about the overall rate of annoyance. In fact, there's probably at least an equal amount of people who would be happy to see such a flyer..?

BTW, I'm not in NH, IA, or SC, but in GA. Primaries are on SuperTuesday.

Original_Intent
08-19-2007, 06:41 PM

Actually, AFTF is what converted my folks to RP, they were previously hard core Mitt Romney supporters.

I agree there are better tools than AFTF, but you can never tell what is going to be the "in" we need. Or the wake up call for each individual if you prefer.

Bradley in DC
08-19-2007, 07:13 PM
If you're going to go door-to-door, do it right with a "flushing" project:

1) Get a list of registered voters (preferably Republicans, depending on your state) from the local Board of Elections.

2) Hit all of the Republicans on your list.

3) Keep track of all of the responses (especially if they support Dr. Paul). Send more info when appropriate, answer questions, don't talk about any other candidate at all.

4) On election day, make sure all of Dr. Paul's supporters are contacted, offered rides to the polls (ask everyone previously--especially the elderly--if they need an absentee ballot and help them if needed), check at the voting locations during the day to see if our people voted: put door hangers at their house if they don't vote in the morning and call in the afternoon and evening to make sure we Get Out The Vote (GOTV): offer them a ride to the polls, whatever it takes.

derdy
08-20-2007, 01:12 AM
FTF is not an effective tool for the general public. Personally, it falls under the category of conspiracy theory stuff to the average citizen. We all have to realize that there are alot of folks out there that don't want their eyes opened. We just have to persuade them to vote RP

See, that is YOUR OWN PERSONAL EXPERIENCE. Many of us have had a different response. To me, if the worst AFTF can do is bore you. The most it can do is kick your ass into action!

It isn't "conspiracy theory" when it is well documented, which AFTF has done. People need to quit worrying about "conspiracy theories.' Do you realize that Iran-Contra was a "conspiracy theory" as well? All major media back in the day said such of Iran-Contra until a C-130 cargo plane was shot down by the Sandanistas and the pilot taken hostage.

Labeling something as a "conspiracy theory" is a cheap shot, an easy way of dodging the evidence in favor of questioning the sanity of those that would purport such anti-USgovernment suggestions.

Aside from all of this, AFTF tackles the IRS and that is one of Ron Paul's biggest selling points; if they can't handle that, they for sure won't be able to handle Ron Paul's foreign policy accountability.

As I've said before, do what works for YOU! This is grass roots friends, de-centralized promotion of an idea. What works, works. We needn't have a centralized way of doing things.

Peace
Denny